• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert Challenge, & Adventure Challenge: Mar 6-9, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 2014 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert Challenge, & Adventure Challenge: Mar 6-9, 2

Señor 2 s'moke needs to back off Google and go get a tequila at La Kiva......geeeesh

Re: 2014 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert Challenge, & Adventure Challenge: Mar 6-9, 2

Man I could use three days at Big Bend now...

Im in,hoping to redeem myself with Roll The Bones and Uncles after the East Tx 500,snuffu!!The ride of shame from Rusk back to Ft.Worth was long.I just kept my head down like I was listening to the engine.

Typo - meant DR200

That's what I'm planning on riding too. Unless the Challenge has us going over King Kong Hill, we should be fine. We won't be able to keep KTM pace, though.

That's what I'm planning on riding too. Unless the Challenge has us going over King Kong Hill, we should be fine. We won't be able to keep KTM pace, though.

Doesn't matter, you wouldn't keep KTM pace even if you had a KTM! hahahahahahaha

DR200 will be fine even on King Kong hill, just keep your momentum going. If you have a burble then stop, turn around, go back down and try again, rinse and repeat until you summit.

_

Haha
Ki has a good sense of humor. He never rides over his head either which is a very good thing. Thats why he rides so much, never gets hurt. Same as me, he's just younger, shorter, lighter, no gray and asian. Otherwise just the same as me haha

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

You got at least two other friends wanting to come....is your room a single?
:sun:

How big's the closet? :lol2:

I'm sure you can talk Jerry into sharing a room ...:trust:
Got mine reserved with Solorider.

Richard,
I am guessing the Desert Challenge route is the same as last year, just reversed? Any plans to change it up any?

Also, I don't really care about a finish award, but assuming we pay for it with the extra registration for this event, maybe you could do tee shirts instead of a framed poster? Just a suggestion. Thanks.

Richard,
I am guessing the Desert Challenge route is the same as last year, just reversed? Any plans to change it up any?

Also, I don't really care about a finish award, but assuming we pay for it with the extra registration for this event, maybe you could do tee shirts instead of a framed poster? Just a suggestion. Thanks.

Plus 1 on the t shirts. That would be really nice..

Nip It In The Bud

Yawn. Can I have a t-shirt? You want a soccer league participation trophy too?

You cats can go figure out and organize your own event and route and awards etc.

Richard will come back with a really polite reply but what he wants you to know is how much dang work goes into these events. You. Have. No. Idea. We should all be glad he continues to toil in the background to make these rides happen - nobody else would do it. Certainly not the critics.

The route: An approximate 200 mile challenging route in Big Bend with a gas stop that can be efficiently swept and has opt-out options to pavement, well, there ain't a lot of huge loop options out there. And it's only once per year (as long as Richard continues to do it). And to the newbies, its a fresh challenge to begin with.

Sorry. To carp about the route and the award here in the planning thread - take it up with Richard via PM, and when you do, thank him for busting his cojones to make your little ride happen.

guess i'll just stay in my WHITE tent, like last year

looking fwd to this one, now that i have a better idea about what it is all about

sw

Richard,

Yes, the challenge route is the same as last year, just reversed. I'm open to other route options - if anyone has suggestions on a ~200 mile dirt route that would be a good challenge course and that we can legally ride, please PM me.

The reason we moved away from any t-shirts for Uncle's rally for the past few years is due to the number of riders that have told me that they just don't want another t-shirt. However, Uncle told me he wanted a t-shirt for the rally this year so that's what we are doing for the rally.

For the challenge events I like the idea of a finisher's t-shirt. The issue is getting good designs. If anyone on here is a graphic designer or knows a graphic designer willing and able to do that type of work, I would gladly consider any designs you submit (fyi, they need to be color separated files).

I'm also open to the finisher's award being an option versus being automatically included as part of the challenge registration.

Last edited:
Re: Nip It In The Bud

Yawn. Can I have a t-shirt? You want a soccer league participation trophy too?

You cats can go figure out and organize your own event and route and awards etc.

Richard will come back with a really polite reply but what he wants you to know is how much dang work goes into these events. You. Have. No. Idea. We should all be glad he continues to toil in the background to make these rides happen - nobody else would do it. Certainly not the critics.

The route: An approximate 200 mile challenging route in Big Bend with a gas stop that can be efficiently swept and has opt-out options to pavement, well, there ain't a lot of huge loop options out there. And it's only once per year (as long as Richard continues to do it). And to the newbies, its a fresh challenge to begin with.

Sorry. To carp about the route and the award here in the planning thread - take it up with Richard via PM, and when you do, thank him for busting his cojones to make your little ride happen.

My goodness Mr Pilot. Talk about muddying up a thread. I said I did not care if we got anything. I was just curious about the route too--no critcal tone whatsoever in my post. I thought carp was a fish?

There are not a lot of options for a public ride like this. BB Ranch would be ideal for the more adventurous among us, but logistically it presents too big of an issue. The old AMA ride through Long Draw and into TR was cool too, but getting those rights is what killed the AMA ride anyway.

Re: Nip It In The Bud

There are not a lot of options for a public ride like this. BB Ranch would be ideal for the more adventurous among us, but logistically it presents too big of an issue.

I continue to hope that BB Ranch eventually opens a road into the park from the east. If they do, then it will certainly make riding there much more logistically workable.

Good lord willing and the creek don't rise I plan on doing the challenge too...it's gonna get interesting.:rider:

i-z8DMtwT-L.jpg

Respectfully request you collective of studs find Trail Boss - Richard - here at th Starlight, and buy him 2 beers.

He will be leaning against the rail (out of the scene in this photo) on the left on Friday night. Trust me.

And buy 2 beers for his wonderful wife, Connie.

And buy 2 beers for Uncle Roger.

This is not total. This is each attendee.

Thank the Good Lord we have somebody like them to get us all together in Prime Time #Terlingua #Big Bend #Study Butte by doing all the hard work behind the scenes.

Thank you Rich for all the years you've gathered us in Mexico, Arkansas, Big Bend, New Mexico, the Hill Country and on and on.

We really appreciate you, your family, and all you do to make memories to last a lifetime

and God Bless Texas

2014 Uncle's Around the Bend Trivia Question

The first of you Mensa members or graduates of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute who can tell me the distance, plus or minus 1/2 mile, between the front porch at the Starlight Theatoer and the canyon entrance at Santa Elena, I will give you $100 to spend at the bar.

Note that I said, to spend at the bar.

At minimum, that include me.

Re: 2014 Uncle's Around the Bend Trivia Question

You're pretty wound up Tricepilot. By any chance at all, are you currently AT the Starlight Theater bar????!!!! :lol2:

The first of you Mensa members or graduates of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute who can tell me the distance, plus or minus 1/2 mile, between the front porch at the Starlight Theatoer and the canyon entrance at Santa Elena, I will give you $100 to spend at the bar.

Note that I said, to spend at the bar.

At minimum, that include me.

Avoiding the Final Jeopardy question I see

Most folks would be surprised at how close the two points are

For a free Double IPA (California) name the formation:

i-33PpFjD-XL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back