• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek, Oct 22-25, 2008

I’m in Houston, planning on trucking my bike down to McAllen and leaving the truck at relatives and just riding the bike across. Looking for a 1-3 or ? persons to hook up with for at least the ride into Galeana and possibly for the whole trip there. I’ve got a friend that is considering going, but it could go either way. My relatives have room to store another truck or trailer if you’re wanting to do the same. It still looks fairly close to the same distance to Galena via McAllen from Dallas/Austin/San Antonio taking 37 then 281 out of San Antonio.

I’m in Houston, planning on trucking my bike down to McAllen and leaving the truck at relatives and just riding the bike across. Looking for a 1-3 or ? persons to hook up with for at least the ride into Galeana and possibly for the whole trip there. I’ve got a friend that is considering going, but it could go either way. My relatives have room to store another truck or trailer if you’re wanting to do the same. It still looks fairly close to the same distance to Galena via McAllen from Dallas/Austin/San Antonio taking 37 then 281 out of San Antonio.
I am interested. I sent you a PM.
Thanks

I am interested. This is one of the reasons I bought a Dual sport bike to begin with.

I have a couple of questions.

What is the minimum fuel range you would need to do this?

What is the limit to number of riders you can accommodate?

Thanks,

You say 1-3 people, does that mean you can carry 4 bikes?

I am interested. This is one of the reasons I bought a Dual sport bike to begin with.

I have a couple of questions.

What is the minimum fuel range you would need to do this?

What is the limit to number of riders you can accommodate?

Thanks,

dirtrideroader,

I don't have the ride guide in front of me, but the shortest route is about 80 miles. The longest distance between fuel is about 100 miles.

Galeana has 2 hotels with 26 rooms each, so the limit on riders is going to be about 75-100.

Last edited:
Richerd, can you get a room on line are do you just have to wate till you get there?
And what are the names of the motels?

terlingua,

All the hotel information is in the ride guide, along with instructions for reserving a room. See page 7 of your ride guide.

Coming from DFW I am going to be looking for a spot to park a pickup and trailer on this side of the border, and take only the bike into Mexico. I know of one other rider whose bike will be on my trailer, and can squeeze another on too if that comes together.

I will have the whole week off from work, was wondering if anyone else was going down a couple of days early.

Best laid plans and all that..........

I may be having to do a software upgrade at work that week, and like my boss said.... sometimes the needs of the business over-ride vacation plans.

I am now a maybe instead of a definite. If I do get to go the price of gas has scuttled my plans to trailer to the border. It is worth the $200.00 plus savings in gas to take the KLR, or the $250.00+ savings if I ride the XR-250. Either way that is a lot of runnin' around money that could be spent on something other than gas.... Cuban dancers??? Cuban cigars??? Yup, worth taking the bike over the truck.;-)

Ed,

I hope things work out so you can attend.

There just isn't any way to tell to what use that extra money could be put...

My experiences so far suggest that whatever it turns out to be is usually a fun addition to a ride report. :mrgreen: We can only hope the Cuban dancers are there again this year.

Received my packet yesterday. Great Job on the ride guide. Looking forward to the ride.
MFF

You say 1-3 people, does that mean you can carry 4 bikes?

I just have a long bed truck extended cab truck, so it would be my bike plus one. Renting a trailer would be an option if we got 4-6 people. A 1 week rate would probably be equal to a 5 day rate plus give us time to rig it up and get the bikes loaded up on it the weekend before. Others might just want to bring their own pickup down there as well, so the 1-3 person quote ( I guess with a trailer we could do up to 6) was just opening up possibilities about going together, or just meeting up at the border and going across as a group.

Richard- does your info packet talk about getting the bikes across? I believe technically you are supposed to have your lien holders permission if the bike is financed. I’m not sure if Mexico enforces this or how they can if you just need registration papers but not the title since the title is the only place this is recorded (that I know of). My bike is financed, through a credit union, and they said they’d write me up a letter giving permission but other lien holders might not be so willing if others bikes are also financed. Also do you have any recommendations for who to get a short term Mexican insurance policy through (also required I believe)?

jinbody,

The ride guide covers the requirements for getting a vehicle (or vehicles) into Mexico.

Technically, you are supposed to have permission in the form of a notarized letter from the lien holder to take a vehicle into Mexico. I've not tried to take a car/truck into Mexico so I don't know firsthand if you will be asked for the letter when bringing in a car/truck. I've never even had the subject come up when bringing in a motorcycle. Perhaps the Mexicans are assuming a bike wouldn't be financed? Or maybe they aren't checking any vehicles? I just don't know. As a "better safe than sorry" measure if I had a lien against a vehicle I would get the letter and bring it with me.

I've used Adventure Mexico Insurance every time I've gone into Mexico and have been satisfied with them.

Last edited:
All signed up and made hotel reservations. Road down to the Creel event last year and had a blast. Road back with a couple of guys I meet down there one will be my roommate on this ride. Boring ride to the boarder but may ride the big duel sport don’t know if she will load on a trailer. Get away from the boarder towns and Mexico is a ride of a life time. Road though one little dirt road mountain town where the kids run in the street to give you a high five.
See Yal there, Ronnie
-
Thanks Richard for giving me another place to ride.
:rider:

You're welcome, Ronnie. And I have to thank Milton Otto for clueing me in on that area.

I mailed your ride guide and maps yesterday so you should have them by the middle of next week, I think.

I would like to go and would like some recommendations on bikes. I have a 1200GS but I am thinking of getting a KLR. I am a little concerned of riding a heavy bike on such a trip. Any one riding the larger BMW's?

skup,

I don't know if anyone attending this year will be on larger BMWs or not. Last year two of us were on Wee-Stroms and one was on a V-Strom. There are several routes (class 1 and 2) that are completely suitable for larger adventure bikes like the GS, Strom, Tiger, etc assuming the rider has reasonable non-paved road riding experience/expertise.

The advantage smaller bikes like the KLR have over the bigger bikes is the smaller bikes can do any of the 12 recommended routes while the big bikes are best advised to skip the class 3 routes.

It all comes down to what you want to ride when you get there, how much you want to be challenged. If you want to ride the knarly, 30 river crossings, jeep/horse tracks through the mountains, the KLR is a better choice than the 1200GS. If you prefer milder, but still adventurous class 1/2 routes, either bike will get the job done just fine so pick the bike you like to ride the most.

Thinking about a trip South of the border? Never been? Curious?

Watch : Treasure of The Sierra Madre !!!!!!!

No,No,NO, (well you can)

Gary rode all the way:http://www.burrohas3wheels.com

My Romanian - Gypsy fortune teller/palm reader agrees its good for my cabin fever.

skup,

I don't know if anyone attending this year will be on larger BMWs or not. Last year two of us were on Wee-Stroms and one was on a V-Strom. There are several routes (class 1 and 2) that are completely suitable for larger adventure bikes like the GS, Strom, Tiger, etc assuming the rider has reasonable non-paved road riding experience/expertise.

The advantage smaller bikes like the KLR have over the bigger bikes is the smaller bikes can do any of the 12 recommended routes while the big bikes are best advised to skip the class 3 routes.

It all comes down to what you want to ride when you get there, how much you want to be challenged. If you want to ride the knarly, 30 river crossings, jeep/horse tracks through the mountains, the KLR is a better choice than the 1200GS. If you prefer milder, but still adventurous class 1/2 routes, either bike will get the job done just fine so pick the bike you like to ride the most.

Are the routes picked? If I took the GS would I have to seperate from the group when folks are going on the class 3 routes?

Are the routes picked? If I took the GS would I have to seperate from the group when folks are going on the class 3 routes?

You pick the route you want to ride. All the routes are published in the ride guide so you know distance, difficulty, etc. in advance.

There will be a brief riders meeting each morning so riders that want to ride a particular route can team up and ride together. Let's say you want to do route 1. At the riders meeting everyone that wants to ride route 1 would get together and organize themselves. Same goes for route 2, route 3, etc.

I've just thrown my hat into the ring to add MexTrek to the tail-end of my trip (3rd) to the Copper Canyon region the week before (the Chabochis rally).

I'll be staying Wednesday through Sunday, and riding the R1200GSA. Taking lots and lots of photographs and writing a ride report.

FYI in January I'll be heading down the east coast via Veracruz, Tuxtla Gutierrez, Palenque and then over to the Mayan Riviera to Mahahual. That time of year for that area is much more comfortable in terms of heat and humidity. I've got two Compassion International kids that my wife and I sponsor, one just south of Veracruz, and one just north of Tuxtla G. The purpose of the trip is to spend a day each visiting those kids and their families where they live (Compassion always sends a rep along per policy) and then spend the rest of the time hitting a part of Mexico by bike (Chiapas and the Yucatan) that I haven't been to yet. Will rent some scuba gear in Mahahual and dive an afternoon or two.

Bob

Richard ,
I mailed off a check for 70.00 and two forms today . Rick M and Big A are in and ready to go to Mexico . :rider:
thanks Rick .

Back