• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

RIP Dane Westby

Man I hate to hear that. I enjoyed watching him race. Tommy Aquino now Dane, that's sad.
RIP Wolverine

So very sorry for his family and all who loved him.

I followed Dane on Twitter as he attempted with mixed success to ride his Schwinn the 1300 miles from OK to FL for the Daytona 200. He was thrilled to get to drive the pace car. Such a tragic loss for his family and the sport.

Thank you Scott and everyone.

Dane came up through the CMRA organization so of course everyone in that 'family' is devastated. The entire Westby clan is such a class act of humble and generous folks and Dane continued that legacy. The Kathleen Patton Westby Foundation, created by the family in memory of Dane's grandmother, is but one example of the Westby's support of good works which Dane continued with his own philanthropies.

Always smiling ear-to-ear, Tryg toured with Dane throughout his racing career. Both of them hugely popular in race paddocks, their colorful motorhome/toy-hauler a fixture, Tryg usually on some sort of antique or custom machine for his 'pit bike'. Tryg founded The Kinetic Playground and is a master craftsman of the highest order, doing faithful antique motorcycle restorations and creating incredible custom machines, one of my favorites being a Honda CBX-six wrapped in a Spondon frame with all sorts of beautiful fabrication by Tryg to make it all work. At the last AMA '14 event I saw him cruising the paddock on a very vintage Harley single (immaculate of course).

I know that Dane would have continued to touch people in a positive way throughout his life and far beyond the sport of motorcycling, he was just that sort of guy by upbringing. Makes the loss that much more painful.

Apology for the ramble but 'talking it out' helps, especially among TWT'ers, being folks that would have appreciated Dane if you'd had the great good fortune to know him.
Dane%20and%20Tryg.jpg

a 'selfie' by Dane with his dad Tryg at an AMA banquet

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01imDbs44uI"]Dane Westby Finishes the Championship in 3rd after New Jersey Finale - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Terrible news.... On his Hawk even... Bummer even more :shock:

Back