• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2012 Texas Adventure Ride & Texas Adventure Challenge, Apr 19-22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
The 6th annual Texas Adventure Ride (TAR) is April 19-22, 2012 in Junction, TX.

TAR (Texas Adventure Ride) is an organized, 4 day, dual sport adventure rally occurring each April in Junction, TX offering the dual sport adventure community an annual opportunity to explore those great roads. All riders are invited to attend.

If this is your first time to attend TAR, this page has information about the logistics of this rally you should find useful.

Registration is open. Download the registration form here.

The ride headquarters for this year's TAR is:
Best Western Hotel
244 Dos Rios Drive
Junction, TX 76849
325-446-3700

The Best Western is sponsoring TAR again for 2012. Rooms are $68 for a single or double and include breakfast. The Best Western will also be hosting our Thursday night meet-and-greet with free beer.

Unfortunately, the Rodeway Inn is completely booked this same weekend. One of the staff members didn't realize we had rooms blocked for TAR and rented all the rooms to another group. Not to worry though as there are a number of other motels in town that would love to have riders stay with them. The Hills Motel, The Legends, and Sun Valley have all been very welcoming to riders at past TAR events.

This year's banquet is at the pavilion at the county fairgrounds on the south side of town, by the golf course. Jennifer from Isaak's Restaurant is catering this year's banquet again. The banquet begins Saturday evening, 6 p.m.

Texas Adventure Challenge

Some of you may have noticed the term "Texas Adventure Challenge" in the title of this thread. Well, I'm please to announce the first Texas Adventure Challenge will be held at the same time as TAR. This event is a 2 day adventure tour of the Texas hill country and west Texas. It will include as much dirt as possible and will challenge you to complete the entire course in the available time.

Note that the Texas Adventure Challenge and the Texas Adventure Ride are not the same event. They are different events occurring on the same weekend. Riders will sign up and participate in one or the other, not both.

Texas Adventure Challenge, April 19-22, 2012
• Two stage adventure rally in the Texas Hill Country
• 550-600 miles of dirt and pavement
• Suitable for any street legal dual sport or adventure bike
• Begins in Junction, Texas on Thursday night
• Ends in Junction, Texas on Saturday night
• Overnight in Del Rio on Friday night
• Supported: luggage transported to your hotel each day
• Rescue truck on standby
• Saturday night banquet and awards ceremony
• Finisher's Award for all who complete both days in the available time

Registration is open. Download the registration form here.

TAC ride headquarters in Junction is the Best Western. The challenge begins in Junction on Thursday evening, 6 p.m. with rider check-in in the lobby of the Best Western. Riders will overnight Thursday and Saturday in Junction, so make your motel reservations.

On Friday night challenge riders will be overnighting in Del Rio, TX. The ride headquarters in Del Rio is:
Motel 6, Del Rio
2115 Veterans Blvd
830-774-2115
Melissa Gonzalez, General Manager

Room costs are $39.99 for a single or a double. The motel is in the middle of remodeling but this should be complete before TAC. Make sure you tell them you are with the motorcycle group so you get the discount rate.

If the Motel 6 is full, there are 2 other properties within walking distance.
Ramada Inn, 2101 Veterans Blvd, 830-775-1511
La Quinta, 2005 Veterans Blvd, 830-775-7591

For those trailering to Junction, you can leave your truck/trailer in the parking lot of the Best Western.

Uncle is in charge of the rescue trailer. He will be based in Junction, on standby for anyone's bike that needs to be transported to either Junction or Del Rio. Teams will be given Uncle's cell number at rider check-in so they can call him if needed.

Riders can put their MARKED luggage in the luggage trailer on Thursday evening or Friday morning for transport to Del Rio. And then again on Friday evening or Saturday morning for transport from Del Rio back to Junction. Please clearly mark your name on your luggage.

John Thompson is in charge of the Sweep Team. John will be leading the sweep team both days to ensure no one breaks down and gets left behind out on the course.

Start and end times will be provided at rider check-in. The routes in both gps route and track format will be emailed to all registered riders who provide an email address.

Last edited:
That 2 day ride sure looks like fun. Gotta decide now on what bike to ride.

Even lowly 200cc's?

Trail Boss personally dropped by and said I could easily ride this on my TW200. Or my Dakar. Or my G450X. Or my BRP. Or my Super Sherpa. Decisions, decisions.

Does any of this ride consist of trails that knobbies are a must have? I am in the process of DS'ing the the SMT and it is a whole lot easier to ride on long rides where a hard core bike bike the Husaberg is not needed.

Does any of this ride consist of trails that knobbies are a must have?

All the riding will be on public roads, so no off-road riding and no trails. The dirt roads will be easy class 1 and some class 2. Knobbies aren't required - good dual sport tires will be sufficient.

My preferred method is to run a knobby front tire and a dual sport rear tire.

I'm in! Perfect post tax season ride. I've been hoping this would fall the weekend after the fifteenth. Thanks Richard.

Sounds like the T-Day 700 was a pre-ride for this.

Sounds like the T-Day 700 was a pre-ride for this.

It was. :-P

That ride convinced me that I could come up with a route that any dual sport adventure bike could handle while having a good enough pavement/dirt mix to make the ride both fun and challenging.

Keep me on the notification list (if there is one). I plan on attending this year.

John

Richard, I should be able to make the ride this year. Howard (vtwin) should be along too.

Thanks
Mark

Keep me on the notification list (if there is one). I plan on attending this year.

John

While I keep a registration list I don't publish a notification list. I try to include all the pertinent information in the registration packet. Registration will open in the next few weeks.

aargh!.....:pirate:...Pirate John, you should go.....aargh! :pirate: we could raid & pilferage, drink grog..........What's in your wallet? :rofl:

sweet! you guys offer door prizes/drawing?
we'll provide some THC maps.

Bill,

That is a wonderful offer. Yes, we are offering door prizes at the banquet and would love to have some THC maps as part of that.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back