TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Texas Adventure Rider's Assoc.

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2017, 08:04 PM   #41
Simmons1

Re: Texas Adventure Riders Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx View Post
Looks like i missed it
Just the normal guys that are here every Friday. Just happens that many of them I adventure ride with.

Some people buy motorcycles for road trips
while others buy them for ego trips.

Where's Rich been lately?

Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / ST1300 / KLR650 / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750 / H1 500
Simmons1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #42
KenH
User's account inactive by request

DFW is huge and growing fast. Lots of people building in FW suburbs out west of Azle, Willow Park, and Cresson, even out past Springtown and Weatherford there are tons of new ranchettes. Lots of people building in Dallas suburbs out towards and east of Rockwall, Terrell, and Ennis. North and south DFW runs from Denton and Frisco to Hillsboro and Corsicana. Suburbs are 80-90 miles apart N/S and E/W. Worse, just about the whole area is traffic 12-16 hours a day, so even a central location is a 2 hour ride for some folks. I see 80-90 miles killing weeknight meet-and-greets and management meetings, but for all-day or weekend rides, 80-90 miles is nothing when neighboring chapters want to work together. Two chapters for DFW probably will not be enough to cover the geography.
KenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #43
Traxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons1 View Post
Just the normal guys that are here every Friday. Just happens that many of them I adventure ride with.
Okay i will try to make the next one
Traxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #44
KenH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheD-Man View Post
So.....ADV = DS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sort of. ADV generally refers to longer trips on bigger bikes and includes highways to cover distances to dirt, up to around the world. Usually 650cc and up. DS usually means someplace dirty near home or RV or motel, often with a trailer, with short paved starts and between dirt areas. Usually 650cc and down.

However, never bet on what you won't see where. There once was a nutcase who rode a TW200 from Saginaw to Van Horn, then Chispa and Pinto Canyon Roads one day and FM170 between Presidio and Study Butte, up to Fort Davis, and on to Van Horn the next, then Old River and Old Ore Roads the next, then back to Saginaw. Funny thing was, way out in the middle of BBNP, about 25 miles from the nearest pavement, said nutcase stopped for pictures in the foothills and someone rode up on a 1200cc BMW. Said nutcase on the TW ran in to the Beemer rider again a couple months later, after riding from Saginaw TX to some mining road near Tincup CO. Odd as it seems, these two are really not that extreme, either.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #45
sanderjavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Riders,

Sander Avant is taking the lead on the San Antonio chapter and will be organizing/planning event in the SA area. He will be along shortly to post the details of what is planned for San Antonio.
I am looking for someone to handle the San Antonio monthly meet & greets.

The next Breakfast and Ride is Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/18/17 - Backyard Bistro + 2 day ride option Then the 3rd Saturday each month except for January, the Medina County 250 will be held the Saturday of Martin Luther King Jr. weekend.

We are looking at adding a Dual Sport / Adventure ride starting in Carlsbad, New Mexico to Alamogordo and back. One out route may roughly follow the NMBDR route to Cloudcroft then drop down to Alamogordo with the return on a different route, as much as possible. This area also gives us the option of true dual sport sections, including alpine single track. More info to follow...it will probably be Labor Day weekend.

Example of an Adventure out route

Last edited by sanderjavant; 02-11-2017 at 08:29 AM.
sanderjavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:50 AM   #46
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheD-Man View Post
So.....ADV = DS?

You might as well have asked what kind of oil or tire is best!!

ADV means different things to different people The KEY is Adventure!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #47
Jampad

Simmons1, I would definitely be interested in being a part of some of your organized rides.... Maybe we could find some good rides in the North Texas area, too.

2014 KLR650
Jampad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #48
dualsportrider

2006 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom SOLD 2015
Gone but great memories:
1970 SL70,1973 DT175,1974 TM250,1976 RM250,1979 DR370 (only new bike),1979 CB500,1983 DR200,1985 IT 200, plus a few others I have forgotten about.
I used to be ridingmyklr.....
1 Corinthians 18: For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of GOD.
dualsportrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:00 PM   #49
jetdr21

jetdr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:23 AM   #50
KenH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jampad View Post
Simmons1, I would definitely be interested in being a part of some of your organized rides.... Maybe we could find some good rides in the North Texas area, too.
Caddo and LBJ Grasslands are combined about 35,000 acres and crisscrossed with park service and dirt/gravel roads. The soils in these areas are types easily eroded so stick to the roads. These are excellent locations for newbies because the roads usually are in pretty good shape with a variety of emergency and convenience services nearby for peace of mind that allows enjoying the scenery and wildlife. The Grasslands and nearby areas would be great places to explore and make up a ride route to share the nice places you discover.

EDIT: National Forest and Grassland maps available here.

Last edited by KenH; 02-06-2017 at 04:35 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #51
dualsportrider

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11079

DFW has a meet n greet most Tuesday's. They have been doing this for years. I started in 2004 and they were doing it before then. There are some retired dualsporters and some street only riders in the group, but most of the group ride dualsport bikes.
2006 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom SOLD 2015
Gone but great memories:
1970 SL70,1973 DT175,1974 TM250,1976 RM250,1979 DR370 (only new bike),1979 CB500,1983 DR200,1985 IT 200, plus a few others I have forgotten about.
I used to be ridingmyklr.....
1 Corinthians 18: For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of GOD.
dualsportrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #52
Dahveed

Quote:
The first highly unofficial planning meeting is being held right now at Friday Night Ice Cream Bike's at Burger Box in Richland Hills.

Are you sure this wasn't the planning meeting for the DFW Sumo Wrestling club? Oh wait, I see Dail hidden in there.

Note the almost empty plate of cookies...

The DFW Area DS Road Map
Dahveed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #53
jetdr21

Are you calling someone fat? Besides that I don't think anyone at the table wears diapers.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #54
Simmons1

I just started a DFW BS thread for the local DFW folks to BS in located here:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...49#post1486049

Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / ST1300 / KLR650 / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750 / H1 500
Old 02-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #55
Crew Chief

Leon was using a fish eye lens. Yep, that's what it was.
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #56
Dahveed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdr21 View Post
Are you calling someone fat? Besides that I don't think anyone at the table wears diapers.
I think I was calling EVERYONE fat (except Dail). I'll let you be in charge of the "panty check" to determine what people are wearing down there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Leon was using a fish eye lens. Yep, that's what it was.
This is the best possible answer!

The DFW Area DS Road Map
Dahveed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #57
Simmons1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
I think I was calling EVERYONE fat (except Dail). I'll let you be in charge of the "panty check" to determine what people are wearing down there...

This is the best possible answer!
And just how many cookies did you eat?

Old 02-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #58
dieselriley

i wish there was one in west tx.. i have a small group on meetups .. i would like to see something like this get big out here in the midland area
dieselriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #59
jetdr21

Quote:
And just how many cookies did you eat?
So in other words, who ate the most cookies???
And the survey said.....................................?
Old 02-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #60
JT
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselriley View Post
i wish there was one in west tx.. i have a small group on meetups .. i would like to see something like this get big out here in the midland area
Start a West TX chapter. The whole idea is to get more exposure and more people involved.
2003 KLX400R tagged
2007 300XCW not tagged-yet
JT is offline   Reply With Quote