TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Texas Adventure Rider's Assoc.

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #21
treysmagna

Re: 2008 TAR Ride Report

I had a great time and want to thank every one out at the KOA for the fellowship. I hope that every one made it home safe. That ride home Sunday was tough! I can't wait till next year! Thank you Richard for a great event. JR - I hope you get the Tiger repair from the 6' bird encounter!
treysmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #22
John Bennett

Great Pics!

Great Reports!

Great Event!

I enjoyed the report. Thank you all.
John Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #23
Coolhand

Great wide angle shots CCRN, love the one on the dry creekbed. Lots of KLR's representin'.

Chadleys, I met you on the Hill Country DS in 2006 I think. Did you get caught in that gulley washer on the way back to Austin?
Coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #24
dbdolan

I thought this ride was this coming weekend...
1994 Kawasaki 750 SS Jet Ski- PWC
1995 Sea-Doo Bombardier GTX- PWC
dbdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #25
BMWbabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdolan View Post
I thought this ride was this coming weekend...
its cheapstoc this weekend

It's not the miles you make, it's the road you take!
Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant!

2007 BMW F650 GS - "Flick"
BMWbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #26
Kidder

I had a great time riding with Calgary-Yogi and BMWbabe. I got a late start out on Thursday so ended up riding down by myself.

Graeme and Mollie and I rode Route 2 to Alamo Village to see the world's largest outdoor movie set. I didn't take very many pictures that day. We did mostly pavement but did ride Old Junction Road which was an absolute blast (dirt/some rocks).

Poor Mollie got sick so Graeme and I rode without her on Saturday. We rode the double loop (route 10) and ended up also going to ride Hackberry Road. That was a lot of fun and had multiple water crossings.

The ride back Sunday was miserable. It was COLD (and raining at times) for the six hour ride back.

I'll try and post up the limited pictures I have later this week.

Thanks to Richard and Uncle for putting the time and effort into planning the event and for scouting out all of those good roads!

-----------------------------
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln
Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:04 PM   #27
Cuchara Red

First time to participate for me and my riding buds. We came on knobbies and had a great time on the off-pavement parts of the rides. Too much pavement work getting to them in the case of #9/13, but those parts would have been great on road tires. The class 4 on #13 was very close to what I ride in Colorado so it wasn't as intimidating as I had anticipated. Got to hand it to anyone that did it on one of the bigger road-oriented dual-sports tho' - that took skill.

We missed a couple of turns and did some of the stuff backwards (groups seemed to either leave us or stay behind at eating spots longer than we did, so we did much of our riding by ourselves). The Hackberry Rd part of 13 was super. A ruined tube killed the last half of #3 for us Friday, and my bud spent about 5 hours on the side of 674 while I rode to RockSprings for Slime and Inflate-a-spare (neither of which does any good when the valve stem is torn), then rode back to Junction for the truck. I got in 150 road miles on my knobbies while he saw a grand total of 5 cars in those 5 hours - traffic is definitely not a problem down there. Saw the same highway patrol pickup five times as I went back and forth on 674 - he finally decided to drive down the road to see what was going on. At least we got to do the Old Junction Rd part - that was a hoot, and the only time we actually got to ride with a group. Did we learn to not forget to carry tire irons and extra tube? Uh huh.

We should have elected to do ride 5 on Saturday. And, we definitely should have paid much closer attention to the Roads of Texas maps using a magnifying glass so we would have realized which routes had the most off-pavement stuff. We won't make that same mistake next year.

Super job, Richard. The above statements are just part of the learning curve. The routes took a ton of planning and you did a magnificent job. Definitely on the list of must-do events each year. We're coming on knobbies again next year, and we already plan to get more dirt on us! We'll not forget the tire irons, either.

Fantastic event!
ron
Old 04-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #28
LostRider

Thought I'd share some of my pics.

This was my fantastic camp site at the KOA.

These next few Pics are all along Hackberry Rd.

The one time you don't take a crossing seriously, it lays you down! Lesson learned... water crossing are fun... needed to cool down a bit anyway!

Nice little slide don't ya think!

These potos are from FM 335. This road is crazy... gassing it all the way, light as a feather on top and heavy as a sack of rocks at the bottom, what a rush!

We decided that we just had to try the most difficult DS road in the area. Lets just say it was one heck of a workout!

Road / Creek it's all the same right?

Finally time to take a break!

Saving the best pic for last.
LostRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #29
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Friday

Friday morning came early. The first item on today's agenda was the breakfast buffet at Isaak's Restaurant. Isaak's hosted a buffett each morning in their banquet room exclusively for TAR. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, biscuits and gravy, coffee, and orange juice were just the right ticket to prepare us for the day's ride.

Apparently dual sport adventure riders really like their coffee. Riders began showing up 30 minutes before the buffett opened trying to get their morning cup of Joe.

The buffet

The buffet was a real time saver, the food was good, and it was well-attended each day.

The rider's meeting kicked off at 8 am. Riders were reminded to be safe, given updated route changes, and then organized into small groups based on what route they wanted to ride that day.

Ready for the rider's meeting

Owen and Rusty planning the day's route

My wife (Connie), Uncle, and I rode together today. Connie is an inexperienced rider so I came up with a modified route for us to ride that day - not too long, not too tough. I wanted to ensure she had a good ride and was not stressed out by a too-tough dual sport road or a too-long day in the saddle. The modified route I came up with worked so well I'm going to include it as one of the routes next year. Unfortunately, though, Old Junction Road proved a little too challenging for Connie's skill level. She was a bit miffed at me by end of day, but eventually, when I had plied her with enough Nectar of the Gods (i.e. cold beer) that evening she forgave me. I am pleased to report, though, that she managed every water crossing we encountered and never even bobbled once (which lots of TAR riders can't honestly claim).

Kimble County dual sport Roads never disappoint

Uncle and Connie

Water crossing in Sutton County

Taking a break next to the Llano River

Old Junction Road is a really fun ride

After about 3.5 hours of riding we reached pavement at Hwy 377 near Rocksprings. It was about 1:30p.m. and we had missed lunch. Want to go to Rocksprings and grab a bite at King Burger? Connie was ready to head back, so we skipped Rocksprings, turned north and headed for Junction. We arrived back at the hotel mid-afternoon hungry and thirsty for something besides the warm water we had in our tank bags. A stop at La Familia Restaurant for some Tex-Mex and Iced Tea took the edge off and re-hydrated us.

Uncle on his DR 350 slabbing his way back to Junction

The remainder of the day consisted of checking in late arrivals, story telling and tire kicking, a few cold beers, and a fine cigar. A fitting end to a fine day.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Dirt, sweat & gears - adventure is calling

www.texasadventure.net
Trail Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #30
BMWbabe

I took very few pictures but I had a wonderful time. Thank you to all those who helped make it such a great time. (Since I've been running my mouth off about how great it was, Sparkyphotog (hubby) is coming with me next year. That means we'll have to spring for a babysitter for 4 days but its so worth it.) You can go ahead and put us down now for next year.

The one dirt road I got to go on, Old Junction, was great! It just happened another group was just ahead of us so we took turns opening and closing gates; that was very handy. I'm even going back this weekend with the same routes loaded to see if I can persuade someone adventurous to try some with me. (I'm gonna be at cheapstoc)

Thanks again!!

It's not the miles you make, it's the road you take!
Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant!

2007 BMW F650 GS - "Flick"
BMWbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #31
AusFletch

Re: More 2008 TAR Ride Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
Great picture! May I use it in next year's ride guide?
Of course. It was my camera so the picture belongs to me but be warned that mark Mark took the picture and he is already whining because he didn't get credit for the one Carla put up on the Lone Star front page. That's what he gets for being so much faster he has time to stop and take pictures while waiting for us.....
Old 04-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #32
BlueBuell

Howdy! TAR was my first adventure ride, and I was very impressed with the quality of the event, how interesting and friendly all the riders were, and how incredibly beautiful Texas is. Being so much more up-close and personal with the creeks, valleys and roads was thrilling. Thank you!
As a suggestion for the next TAR, could Trespassing be addressed a bit more?
I am not from Texas, and I was shocked at my ignorance about it.
I realized that I had no concept of the seriousness of trespassing, either legally or culturally.
I was involved in 3 trespassing, chased by a pick-up during one and confronted by a very agitated rancher whose shot gun was within reach in another. We had scared his newly born goats.
I might suggest a pre-ride trespassing education for city-slickers like me, signage at major route entrances, and an outdoor banquet catered by a local BBQ establishment.
I would hate to see the benefit that Junction received by our presence be undermined by angry land-owners.
Thank you for listening to me.
Cheers, Patrice. Austin, TX
BlueBuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #33
CCKBMW

I would encourage Mark to whine directly to Robert - he's the one that had our webmaster put it up. But! I'll get it corrected!! (he whines????)
'05 TW 200 -
CCKBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #34
chadleys1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
Great wide angle shots CCRN, love the one on the dry creekbed. Lots of KLR's representin'.

Chadleys, I met you on the Hill Country DS in 2006 I think. Did you get caught in that gulley washer on the way back to Austin?
-good to hear from you

Yep, it was raining on and off all the way back, but we never really got rained on that hard.

I had only brought summer gear, so the cold was my biggest problem.
We made a stop at the Family Dollar for a 3 dollar poncho, and a roll of duct tape, before leaving Junction. 3 hours later, we were still on dirt, bumping countless gates, muddy, wet, cold, lifting a fallen 08 KLR, and loving it. Here is a pic of that "adventure" moment.

I take pride in the fact that I was able to talk Patrice out of his camera, in order to click a photo before righting the bike. He even hammed it up a bit. Although he is a very seasoned roadbiking veteran, this was his first dualsport ride, and I thought he did great. I'm sure his wife, who is also my friend, will really appreciate the photo... haha

Maybe he will post some of the rest of our photos from the trip... hint hint
chadleys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:22 PM   #35
Viejo

This was my first TAR and I had a great time. Everyone was wonderful and the roads were awsome. Can't wait till next year. Many thanks to the sponsers and all those who put it together. Great Job!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 12:27 AM   #36
Chris S

Great pics!

I was riding w/ the TSBA Sat., and saw a bunch of y'all on the stretch heading from Doss to Llano. For some reason I have a hunch that I'll have a DS bike by next year's event!
Honda CRF 50 (son's bike)
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:20 AM   #37
AusFletch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKBMW View Post
I would encourage Mark to whine directly to Robert - he's the one that had our webmaster put it up. But! I'll get it corrected!! (he whines????)
Does he whine? Oh, he whines. He whined about my forcing him to ride to Junction instead of trailer. He's whining right now because he has 'the flu' (although it is more likely don't-want-to-go-back-to-work-itis). Fortunately, he is also a great traveling partner and an even better friend.

I was just teasing about the photos. I hope it didn't come out wrong in electronic form. We were both honored to see our photos on the LS site. -Fletch
Old 04-29-2008, 03:24 AM   #38
AusFletch

I have no idea how I did this with my camera but it is kinda cool....

Old 04-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #39
Coolhand

Holy craap dude that's not a water crossing, that's a river!

At least it looks like it's on gravel instead of wavy, algae covered rocks!
Coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #40
Jerry
Forum Supporter

On the way to TAR we spied Red Brown sitting in the middle of the road attempting to hitch a lift. I told him he should get on that bad motor scooter and ride, ride, ride. He did – very well. His motor scooter turns 14,000 rpm and goes very fast. I could not keep up because I get skeered and have to slow down.

I always gas up at the Telegraph Store because gas there is still 95 cents per gallon.

Pretty bluebonnets and a proficient motorcycle co-exist in harmony by the Llano river.

Treysmagna poses fashionably in his cool Hi-Vis Darien Jacket. I'm sure this pic will make the cover of the new Aerostitch catalog – watch for it in July! Tres is a proficient motorcyclist. His bike is always stable and upright. I notice in the photo that his DR has had a “fenderectomy.” That's another mark of a proficient off-road motorcyclist.

Tres ain't afraid of no slime!

Birdkiller! Birdkiller! Birdkiller!

I didn't know what to do! Didn't know what to say! So I just writ a pome.

A frightful altercation did ensue
on 337 Friday afternoon

As fowl across the roadway sailed
astride a mighty beast that wailed
Toma'sTigre took to pursuit,
and none there were
who could deter the fight

Claws were bared - feathers flew
the balance of life
decided in these few
moments of fearful encounter

The mighty carnivore prevailed of course
not however without recourse
as the gobbler , sensing end was nigh
desperate, and defiant wry, in final act
left tigers nose cracked and pecked was her left eye

With glass lens shattered and fiberglass battered
our victors display their prey
let no one doubt, as J.R. hoists high his load
that Tigre's beast is the predator on this road

We rode around and found these interesting rocks on the side of the road.

Then a dapper dude on a proficient motorcycle showed up and posed for this picture.

WooHoo!!! a good time was had by all. Thanks for putting on the show Rich. It was a blast!

Last edited by WoodButcher; 04-30-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote