TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Texas Adventure Rider's Assoc.

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #41
ed29

Re: 2008 TAR Ride Report

Many thanks to Richard, Connie, Roger, Dave, and anyone else that worked on making TAR 2008 a huge success. The riding was wonderful, the company was the best. The food was pretty good too.

I made new friends and rode with some excellent riders this trip. We explored roads off the beaten path, in some cases they were off the route too. We were not technically lost.... only having an adventure as I see it.

The bikes varied from all out competition machines with lights, mirrors, horn, and a tag to street machines adapted to gravel and dirt. The uncommon ones caught my eye.

No big surprise that KLRs outnumbered all other bikes combined. Note this is only a guess based on casual observation, not a scientific count.

One thing about dual sport riding I enjoy is the mix of pavement and dirt. In one day we rode the sisters, rode the best of route 13 including the tough section, rode portions of several other routes plus some ad hoc gravel linking the routes. It was all good.

These 250s give a glimpse of the past and future sitting side by side.

The old air cooled, carburatted XR with conventional forks stood in both contrast and harmony with the liquid cooled, injected, upside down equipped WR. Old school bike with lots of accessories next to spankin' new bone stock.... Both were correct for the task at hand.

What TAR report would be complete without touching on water crossings? The trusty XR with its predictable manners and power delivery was excellent in this area.
Water crossings by the letter.....
S stands for slick which equals sedate.

R stands for rocky on which you can rock and roll.

That last one was so much fun that we crossed back and forth several times playing on it.

My furry passenger even seemed to enjoy the spray.

More on him later.... Wiley had a blast and may have to submit his own report.

Life is short... Ride it hard.
ed29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #42
Coolhand

Great report and pictures. Love the ones of the standard street bikes with knobblies!

Any WR riders out there care to comment on your impressions? I've been slobbering over that bike as something I might actually be able to handle off road ('cause my KLR kicks my butt).
Coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:54 PM   #43
ed29

I cannot give a first hand report on actually riding one.... but in riding next to it, following etc I can say that it is one smooth, quiet and sweet machine. Suspension and power delivery looked very well suited to the riding we did. Our days included everything from rough loose large rocks, to twisty roads, to high speed runs up the highway. That WR impressed me.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #44
Squidbilly

Thanks to all who put on TAR 2008. I met some great people and had a blast.

We left Wednesday so we could get in a little extra fun.

TAR here come.

Unloaded in Junction and head out Wed. afternoon to explore Kimble County.
This water crossing was easy after falling twice on two other algae covered ones. (Kimble County algae must be the slickest since I did not fall again)

Thursday morning we headed out again to do Kimble County west.

Oh no more algae

The GPS said we are on the route, but we were skeptical.

Got back around 1530 just in time for registration.

Friday after the riders meeting we headed out for ride 3. The best dual sport roads in Texas.(as long as the gates are not locked.)

Keith, Cotton,Pete,and ED..what great guys to ride with.

Do to a locked gate on Cedar Creek Rd we had to modify our route. Covered 300 miles more pavement than dirt but still a good day.

We saved the best for last ...Saturday was fantastic. A modified version of ride 13 to include part of what we missed on ride 3 due to the locked gate.

Pete (m3spotevo)

and Keith (Fangs) are pumped up and ready for the day.

Hackberry Road

Oh yeah...more on the algae. After crossing one particularly slick water crossing someone in my group said "hey get your camera, some bikes are coming" It was a group of KLRs.

Kent Creek Ranch Road here we come.

We made it.

We moved on to White Mountain Road, part of ride 3.

Made it back to Junction at 1830 and covered 275 miles. What a great weekend. Thanks again for the fun.

13 F6B
Squidbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #45
Darrell Comeaux

TAR 2008 comment

This was my first off road ride. My son, Blake, joined me. I never had so much fun in all my life. It was nirvana for me. Can't wait till next year. We did ride 3 and 5. Ride 5 to LLano was most enjoyable. Our DR650 and DR350 performed exceedingly well. Thank you Richard for creating a dream that my son and I will always remember.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blake & Darrell.jpg (30.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Joe, George,Blake,Darrell,Chris,Mosley.jpg (59.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 PM   #46
McRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG A View Post
know what ya mean, we rode the kent creek section, me on my 1200 gs, went through with no problem, then dump it on the creek crossing going out. no real damage done except for my pride, but all in all met some great people, and the rides were really great!!! can't wait until the next one!! great job to all who had a part in putting this on was first class!!
You too? The youngsters up by the resort were all watching as my KLR did a slow 180 and came to rest hanging off the edge! Didn't even hurt my pride too much....yeah, right. But a great weekend, great rides, great job Richard. We had so much fun at Kent Creek that we rode it again same day, south to north. And crossed that dang little creek with no problem (very slowly and very carefully though.) We told Richard that we didn't have any trouble finding Kent Creek Road, just never did find the hard part!

"A gun is like a parachute: if you need one and don't have one, you may never need it again."
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #47
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Saturday

Rumors of bad weather had been floating around all week. Back on Monday the 7 day forecast indicated thunderstorms for Junction and a few posters commented on the not-too-encouraging outlook. However, so far the weather had been great and no rain had fallen. Saturday morning was cool and cloudy and looked to be another fine day.

During breakfast Connie decided to take the day off from riding so Uncle, Dave, and I teamed up for the day. There were a couple of dual sport roads I had not yet ridden and had been itching to go explore. Today was the perfect opportunity. Shortly after the riders meeting we rolled south on Hwy 377, bound for county road 930.

We took the back way out of town which led us by the local golf course. Uncle, an avid golfer, was quick to spot it.

After about 50 miles of pavement we arrived at CR930. Time for a quick break.

Our first look at CR930

We wound our way west and north on 930. At first it was a dirt superhighway - easy, fast, and smooth. But, slowly, as it wound it's way deep into the surrounding ranch land it deteriorated until it finally became a pretty interesting road. Not as rough as Old Junction Road, but not bad either. The end of CR930 brought us to a ranch that had a nice big rock marking the entrance.

The engraving on the rock says: MacKenzie Trail 1876 3 horse thieves hung by Texas Rangers and buried here

Uncle

At the end of CR930 we turned left onto Baker Road, another dual sport road, and made our way south to pavement and eventually Rocksprings. It was lunch time so a stop at King Burger was in order. It turned out that a stop at the King Burger was on everyone else's agenda too, as the parking lot was full of dual sport bikes.

King Burger makes a fine hamburger and is quite popular with locals and dual sporters alike

After a leisurely lunch Uncle decided he would rather play golf than ride so he headed north to that golf course he had spotted earlier in Junction. Dave and I decided we needed to pay a visit to at least one of the 3 Twisted Sisters, so we headed south on Hwy 55 to Barksdale and the southern end of RR 335. I never grow tired of riding the 3 twisted sisters as all three are fantastic motorcycling roads.

Dave working the curves on 335

Once back in Junction it was time to start prepping for the Saturday night banquet. We had rented the local community center for the evening and had to set up all the tables and chairs, hang the banners, set up the sound system, etc. I stayed pretty busy the rest of the evening and I only got one picture of the banquet.

Intrepid explorer Milton Otto was the guest speaker for the evening and gave a fine presentation of the amazing dual sport riding available in the mountains south of Monterrey, Mexico. Door prizes were generously provided by TAR sponsors Lone Star BMW / Triumph and TJ's KTM, both in Austin, TX. I can't thank the sponsors enough.

Once the banquet was complete and the community center was cleaned, we retired once more to the grassy knoll just outside our room at the Hills Motel. A few of us sat around, enjoying a cold beer, tasty cigar, good conversation, and a light show from an electrical storm off to the north.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that Connie and I had a great time at TAR 2008 and are already looking forward to next year.

I'll finish with some random shots from the weekend.

Texas Armadillo

Viva Mexico, indeed!

In the battle of footpeg vs shin, footpeg almost always wins as Bobcat can attest

Crash bars are a good idea. Your plastic takes the hit when you don't have them.

I think the Two Wheeled Texans took over the La Vista motel

The Legends Inn welcomed TAR back this year. See you next year.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Dirt, sweat & gears - adventure is calling

www.texasadventure.net
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:16 PM   #48
BlueBuell

Howdy, I had a wonderful time and was blown away by the beauty of Texas.
Here are 3 days of ride reports
Cheers!
BlueBuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #49
ed29

I just finished figuring out how to convert the raw video into usable clips...

Hey... did I do that part right too? Not sure yet who the rider is, will send a copy of the footage though.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:40 AM   #50
Coolhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed29 View Post
I cannot give a first hand report on actually riding one.... but in riding next to it, following etc I can say that it is one smooth, quiet and sweet machine. Suspension and power delivery looked very well suited to the riding we did. Our days included everything from rough loose large rocks, to twisty roads, to high speed runs up the highway. That WR impressed me.
Thanks Ed! In my case it's just lack of pilot skill and 20 years of rust on any dirt riding foundation I had, but I think I could do a bit better with the 100 lb lighter ride (although I'm not a tall guy and the WR is pretty tall).
Coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:38 AM   #51
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Fangs and V1Rotate, were you at the Sat night banquet? I never saw you guys!?

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #52
COMBO

Pam and I had a great time again this year and didn’t think it was possible to surpass the fun we had last year but we were way wrong. Our thanks to Richard, crew and sponsors for all the hard work we know it took to put this growing T.A.R. event on.

In all our crew put in almost 600 miles and about 400 of it was two-up. Pam is a real trooper. She did the 400 with a crushed finger and had surgery on just before the trip, but was not going to let that stop her from getting on the rear saddle of the KLR.

We met so many great DS folks on this trip. Don and his Alaska adventure story. You are one tuff dude. Thanks to Gary and crew for the help and use of your 12v compressor, which saved us so much time airing up the tube change we had to make on the trail. Terry, for sharing your great personality and a fun day’s ride. Jerry, for sharing stories and a late Thursdays steak dinner with us, and meeting Greg for the first time and joining our crew on this trip. I’m sure it’s the first of many.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pam & I Junction.jpg (101.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 648326158111_0_BG.jpg (97.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1189.jpg (51.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1183.jpg (67.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1197.jpg (64.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 04-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #53
Fangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Fangs and V1Rotate, were you at the Sat night banquet? I never saw you guys!?
I was the XR who pointed at you Sat morning on Main St. You and Desmo were heading from your motel to the rider meeting. I was going he opposite way on Main St. warming engine to check oil. You gave me the head nod.

Our foursum returned at 630PM. We loaded during the banquet and hit I10 at 930PM after talking in the parking lot of the Sun Valley.
Fangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #54
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Comeaux View Post
This was my first off road ride. My son, Blake, joined me. I never had so much fun in all my life. It was nirvana for me. Can't wait till next year. We did ride 3 and 5. Ride 5 to LLano was most enjoyable. Our DR650 and DR350 performed exceedingly well. Thank you Richard for creating a dream that my son and I will always remember.
Welcome to the site!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 04-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #55
Trailryder42

Dave(Darthrider) and I headed out of Amarillo, on our KLRs, about 7am last Thursday, morning of the 24th, headed for Junction Texas and the 2008 Texas Adventure Ride. Sure are lots of wind turbines between here and there.

About 400 miles later we arrived at our Motel, The Sun Valley Inn, at about 2:30 that afternoon. That evenings meet and greet was planned for around 4pm so we had some time to lay up and rest. The motel rate was cheap and the room was nice. I'll stay there again.

We made our way over to the Hills motel around 4:30 to where the meet and greet was to take place. Lots of bikes and riders starting to show up. We pick up out T shirts and goody bags provided by the Junction COC and sign up for the Saturday evening banquet and door prizes giveaway. We mingle and look at all the bikes. I run into a few guys I met at last years ride. While I'm mingling, Dave rides over to where the Ride On people(one of the ride sponsors) are treating your tubes with their product for free. I had mine done last year and am on the same tubes since then so I didn't need any. When Dave got thru we headed over to get some very good Mexican food.

Friday morn came early at 6:45. After getting some breakfast at Issacks restraunt We decided to ride the Willow City loop. Dave said he'd ridden the actual Willow City part of our ride before on a street bike but the dirt/county roads route we were going to take to get there would be new to him. Even tho the weather forecast for the weekend said rain, we lucked out with perfect weather, for the most part.

The roads on the route were classed as a 2 for the most part. Nothing hard or technical. Lots of nice scenery and wildlife to watch out for. Water crossings varied from gravel to concrete pad. The gravel ones were no problem but the concrete ones had to be crossed very carefully, as they were often very slick. It seemd that the best place to navigate them was staying in the car tracks, but as we found out later that's not always the case.

We were headed toward Enchanted Rock State Park and when we found ourselves back on pavement I knew we must be close.

Dome Rock can be seen at the entrance. I guess lots of rock climbing goes on here.

Head on down the road some more and we soon get to the actual Willow City loop. A nice, narrow paved road thru some great scenery, with its own water crossings, the concrete kind.

I went thru one on the Pecan Creek section of the loop, staying in the car tracks just like I had been all day when next thing I know I'm screaming profanities in my helmet,as I'm on the ground and me and the bike are sliding down the road. God aweful sound! I feel my forearm taking a scraping thru my jacket sleeve. I jump up to shut the bike off, as it's still running. Dave sees the whole thing happen in front of him. I check out the bike and find the left highway peg sheared off, but not unfixable. Had some abrasion damage to my HT overpants on the *** but I never felt anything hurt in that area, so I guess they did their job.

I told Dave it's his turn next. Sure enough, about 3 crossings later I'm watching him in my mirror after I cross to make sure he comes out ok. I take my eyes off the mirror for just a nanosecond and look back again and he and bike on the ground. I turn around to head back and see he's not getting up. I quickly pull out the camera and snap a few.

Every water crossing on pavement we came to after that we walked first to find the best line.

The only Bluebonnets we saw all weekend were on the Willow City loop. Last year they were everywhere.

As we were finishing up the Willow City loop headed for Fredricksburg, it started to lightly rain. Just enough to wet the pavement and make it slick. Any kind of braking caused slides and an increased pucker factor quotient. We were coming to a long gradual curve in the road and I was going to slow down for it, given the conditions. Well, the tires weren't having it, as they broke loose and I started to slide. I decided to keep it straight and head for the side of the road. There was a ditch that didn't look too bad, tho it had foot tall grass in it and no telling what's in it. As soon as I left the pavement I started braking as much as possible, rode down into ditch and out the other side of it, kept my momentum and turned heading back across it back up to the road. Faceplant averted.

Shortly after that we stopped at a small roadside BBQ place with lots of unique atmosphere. We could hear singing and guitar picking as we parked the bikes. Dave got some pictures. The ride back to the motel from there was pretty uneventful.

Next morning we decided to ride 3 of the shorter loops, coming back to the motel for a beer after each.

First would be the Kimble County east and west loops and later that afternoon we'd do Old Junction road down to about Rock Springs and head back via 377. Took us about 2.5 hours each. Neat roads and scenery. Dave encountered his first bump gate.

At one gate we had to go thru there was a mean lookin bull that was snorting and tromping around. I figured I'd open it and let Dave go thru first.

Sunday, thunderstorms were blanketing everywhere between Junction and home so we stayed in the motel another day and watched movies and figured we'd head home Monday when the weather cleared. That evening around 4pm it started breaking up some and the sun came out and I wanted to get out for some exploring. Wanted to try to make it down to ride the 3 sisters, 335,336 and 337 but I didn't have enough time to get there and back before dark. So I explored some county roads in the general area of Junction, getting back just before dark.

By Monday morning the bruising of Daves hip from his water crossing crash started showing. He also caught his arm between the ground and his rib cage on that fall, compressing and most likely dislocating some intercostal tissue, so he was pretty sore after the first days ride. But he didn't let it stop him from riding the rest of the weekend.

The bikes ran well with some minor fuel screw tweaking for the elevation. It was a good trip and I think Dave enjoyed himself. He took alot more pictures than I. I know he got some good ones, so stay tuned.
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #56
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Did you actually ride the Cedar Creek portion of this route? We tried it on Saturday and came to a locked gate Had to backtrack all the way up 674.

Quote:

Old 04-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #57
Greasemonkey

Thanks for all the great pict's.
Maybe some day my schedule will allow me to go.Looks like a good time
02 xr650r
02KTM300EXC
1998 XT 225
350 BRUIN
250 RECON
Greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #58
dbdolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Thanks for all the great pict's.
Maybe some day my schedule will allow me to go.Looks like a good time
Let me know when you go, I missed it to. We need to get the routes from the good stuff.
1994 Kawasaki 750 SS Jet Ski- PWC
1995 Sea-Doo Bombardier GTX- PWC
dbdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #59
Trailryder42

No, we didn't go that far. It was late in the day, about 4pm when we started it. I only use the route 3 map to illustrate our ride of Old Junction road to 377 and back to Junction before it got dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Did you actually ride the Cedar Creek portion of this route? We tried it on Saturday and came to a locked gate Had to backtrack all the way up 674.
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:49 PM   #60
terlingua

Hay Tourmeister, let see some of the photos you were shooting. I thank I seen you shot more photos then an eighteen year old at a playboy shoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0005.jpg (81.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0006.jpg (50.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0010.jpg (80.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0025.jpg (106.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0003.jpg (76.6 KB, 38 views)
terlingua is offline   Reply With Quote