• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

April pie run reports 2015

Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
post your April pie run reports here so all the fare weather wimps can live dangerously through you.:lol2:

all those folks I would have thought someone had posted by now. :mrgreen:

day started out doom and gloom and wet with a annoying misty drizzle.
half the crew came in late due to having to dodge or plow through a unpleasant line of storms.
I arrived early to the shock of a closed restaurant.
DB0B422E-CC3D-412E-B3DA-D021F1B9FDCB_zpsdpzanrg9.jpg

fortunately this months back up was across the street and it only took a couple times running outside to retrieve folks.
we has so many folks I had to use panoramic mode for the inside picture.
947193B4-2AAD-4C6F-8D57-13C32DC9AC71_zpskadae58j.jpg

required pie picture
022864B4-AAC1-42E2-9501-756508B6B7E5_zpsmzhi8odg.jpg

out in the sunshine group picture.
9A8C967D-AE07-463D-8F96-2AF310468FA7_zpshywyxrz4.jpg

afterwards I looped around the bay to visit the blue ghost.
097_zpsa2quhgi6.jpg

It was nice meeting y'all. We stopped at Charlotte Plummers in Rockport after seeing the sand castles and ate a few appetizers :eat: :eat: :eat::rider:. Sand fest was a bit disappointing this year because of the rain. Pretty sure it messed up some sculptures . Dee took a few pics and I will post some this evening. Good news is my wife figured out if she rode with her face shield open a little her nose would stop itching :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol2:

Idk. You should have asked the people building it. You were there. Maybe he's picking up a radio station out of Savannah ?

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

The ride started before sunrise on Saturday. I had just scanned the real time weather map hoping I would be able to just avoid the last of part of the storms that had brought heavy rain to south Texas. As I approached the town of Gonzales, I experienced a strong intuitive tug on my riding consciousness to quickly turn into the local gas station. Within minutes there was series of very loud lightning strikes near me. This was followed by the last of the very heavy deluge of rain. After about 15 minutes of waiting for the inclement weather to pass, I proceeded to Port Aransas. The rest of the ride was superb as I was greeted by fresh blue sky, the lingering scent of the freshly wet trees and grasses accompanied by cooler temperatures...onward to Port-A.

For lucky Coastal Bend residents, it's easy to take for granted that they are surrounded, quite literally, by saltwater. Aside from the Gulf of Mexico, the bays and estuaries provide some very fertile fishing waters, some of the best in the state of Texas, which are virtually all accessible to the public. Some of the best fall fishing spots are located on, and on the way to, North Padre and Mustang Island. It had been quite some time since I had ridden to this area. I was impressed at the beautiful, clean beaches, great selection of restaurants and attractions, a welcoming village setting, and the friendliest people on the Texas Coast!

Once in Port Aransas, I was able to filter to the front of the ferry line. I arrived a few minutes late, but the selected restaurant for the pie run had been closed for almost half a year. We quickly chose the cafe across the street. Lunch was seafood naturally and exceptional too. After some further tall tales, the TWTEX riders departed. Leon visited the “Lady Lex” - which set more combat records than any carrier in U.S. Naval history and today rests in Corpus Christi bay. I took off for the beach, hoping to catch a glimpse of the Sand Festival and yes, I went swimming in the ocean. It was refreshing.

I headed back the next day via Three Sisters which made for a long day, but very enjoyable as the dense wild flowers are blooming on Highway 462 from Hondo to Tarpley.

Thanks Leon for putting this together.

port-a-texas-2015.png

Last edited:
Back