• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A 5 Day Weave

Thanks for all the encouraging comments.
Embarassing that it has taken almost as long as the trip did to finish this report.

Sean, just saw on another thread that your back has been giving you trouble. Hope all is better and that you make that trip soon.

For Tim and nut lovers everywhere:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoCLGM8ih04"]The World's Largest Pistachio[/ame]

Last edited:
5th, and last day for this trip.....

Weather reports were calling for a high possibility of strong storms along my route home on Sunday. Figured I had a little time to tour some of the Riudoso area before heading back to Texas, so checking the map I'd picked up in Cloudcroft the day before I chose a route including roads that made fun looking squiggly lines on the map. Wouldn't have time to be hunting down points of interest, but thought at least I'd get a idea of the area in preparation for the next trip here.

Got on the road before 8:AM and made my way out north of town to Ski Apache area up Ski Run Rd (County 532). A fine route up the eastern slope that kept the morning sun shining on me while the mountains blocked the wind. Even when the road was up and past the snow line it wasn't all that cold as long as I was in the direct sunlight. At that time of the morning had the road almost entirely to myself. On the way up did meet one car coming down with 4-5" of fresh snow on it's hood and roof. Thought, "what in the H am I getting myself into?" Not sure when that car received it's blanket of snow as the road surface itself was clear. Great view of Ruidoso and the area east of it at Windy Point.
http://southernnewmexico.com/Articles/Southeast/Lincoln/Ruidoso/RuidososSkiRunRoad.html

Leaving the mountain, I cut over to 380 behind the airport on NM 220 which weaves through the foothills. Stopped at a cemetery just outside of Stanton when I saw the tall oblisk and big steel anchor at it's entrance. A military cemetery for Merchant Marines? In landlocked New Mexico? Didn't make sense to me at the time.
r19_zpsaqdprm0t.jpg

Another mile up the road and a sign pointing to the Fort Stanton Museum and Historic Site. Wow, had I stumbled on a gold mine of cool or what? It killed me to tell the Park Ranger that I couldn't wait for the museum to open at 10:AM, but he gave me several brochures and a short history of the place - which is way too long, varied and detailed for this report. At least I had an answer about why the Merchant Marine cemetery was just down the road. If you are ever in the area, find the time to visit this place. I know I'll be returning.

Back on the road, going west on 380 to catch NM246 around the north side of the Capitan Mountains I came across this roadside marker about Smokey Bear. Seems it was near here that folks from the Forest Service found the original Smokey as a cub clinging to a burnt tree. I always thought it was Smokey "the" Bear - another useless, but interesting, factoid filed away in the gray matter. The most fun kind of factoid in my opinion.
R04_zpsdpk2hc2m.jpg

NM246 is a good road, great views of the mountains in the near distance, and largely deserted. It was a little sad to see to my right the mountains come down to the plains the farther east I rode, knowing that this trip was soon coming to an end. Passing through the unique downtown of Roswell with so many of it's store fronts touting something about aliens from outer space, I couldn't help but wonder if there might be a way to get all conspiracy theorist to move here.

As we all know, West Texas is a lot of straight, and a lot of long road. Something to make it past as we ride on to our destinations. Riding downhill with the wind in my back it was a time of reflection. It had been a great trip. Way exceeding my expectations with many unforeseen sights and joys along the way. Not everything had gone perfectly (never does), nor to plan (there was a plan?). I can only hope for another experience as good as this has been. Thanks for letting me relive it through this report.

Day 5 - 641 miles.

Trip total - 2,319 miles; Averaged 48.6 MPG

Last edited:
I was surprized you did not have pics of the sculptures in Artesia. I was amazed at the works.
Enjoying the report as it brings back so many memories of my past journeys to the areas. Waiting for more.

I was surprized you did not have pics of the sculptures in Artesia. I was amazed at the works.
Enjoying the report as it brings back so many memories of my past journeys to the areas. Waiting for more.

Sadly, I didn't stop at any of the bronzes on display along Artesia's main street. Just a quick glance while riding by. Was there more?

Kind a wish I'd had time to check out the old oil derrick rising above the refinery on the east side of downtown too. Hopefully next time I will.

Glad you are able to get out there and enjoy the NM roads. What are you planning on doing different in October?

What are you planning on doing different in October?

If I can get there the first Saturday in October, the Trinity Ground Zero site will be a priority. Lots of neat things to see and places to go in the area. Depends on if my bride goes with (4 wheels) or I go on the bike.

If I can get there the first Saturday in October, the Trinity Ground Zero site will be a priority. Lots of neat things to see and places to go in the area. Depends on if my bride goes with (4 wheels) or I go on the bike.

I'd like to see the Trinity site someday. Somebody - maybe M38A1 - posted pix of it a couple of years ago.

I'm not 100 % sure but from what I read somewhere they only open it to visitors like once a year (due to the radioactivity).

I would of miss the other 4 I visited while there if not for talking to a guy at met at the drill rig site. All in different sections of downtown and related to the early cattle industry. Beautiful work. Not show in the following site is the one with the cattle rustler altering brands. LOL I think a person would never get out of one state if went to see all worth checking out just in that state. Good reason for a return trip I always thought. ;-)

http://www.artesiachamber.com/vi/wt.html

Last edited:
I'm not 100 % sure but from what I read somewhere they only open it to visitors like once a year (due to the radioactivity).

Twice a year. The first Saturday in April and the first Saturday in October.

Haven't been able to find the thread of Scott's that Tim was talking about, but do remember it had some great pictures of Trinitite, or Alamogordo glass, in it.

Thank you sir! :hail:

Knew I'd seen it. Looking back at the thread now it reminds me that the Dish Array farm is probably worth stopping at too.

Back