• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Off to Camp Wood and Beyond

Very nice. Thanks for taking us along.

I love the pic of the Rooster. The detail is amazing. I just keep looking and discovering things I didn't notice at first glance.

Very nice. Thanks for taking us along.

I love the pic of the Rooster. The detail is amazing. I just keep looking and discovering things I didn't notice at first glance.

Thanks! I'm now carrying a Panasonic FZ1000 for traveling. Started in January. It's not a compact, but it's light, shoots 4k video and has an optical zoom from 24-400mm. In video mode it goes up to 600mm. Also has wifi and an articulated LCD screen for difficult angles. Most of these images are from transferring from the camera via built-in wifi to my iPhone, then doing a quick edit and posting via instagram. :)

I just got this camera in January and have been using it exclusively for travel since then. You can see more I've done with this camera since January. If you scroll through my instagram feed including more Hill Country, blue bonnets, NYC, DC, etc. until you get though all the Mexico Yucatan stuff dated back to January/February, pretty much everything was with this camera. Does great slo-mo 120fps too. :)

Here's my instagram feed if interested: http://instagram.com/skiphunt

Last edited:
Are you still doing post with the Snapseed app?

Any HDR in those pics?

I still like the Snapseed app, even with the latest changes, but I only used it on the Cable Cabin Court panoramics. The rest were instagram. The camera as a 3-shot HDR function, but I don't think I used it on any of those shots. I did use the mid-tone slider thing in the instagram app.

I have a Canon G15 for the bike, so I found this article interesting comparing the G15 to your camera:

Canon G15 vs Panasonic FZ1000

Another more important piece is that you, Skip Hunt, know what you're doing with a camera and I, Tricepilot, do not :lol2:

I have a Canon G15 for the bike, so I found this article interesting comparing the G15 to your camera:

Canon G15 vs Panasonic FZ1000

Another more important piece is that you, Skip Hunt, know what you're doing with a camera and I, Tricepilot, do not :lol2:

Thanks! It all depends on what you need/want. The Canon is an excellent compact and stellar sensor. The Panasonic is bigger, bulkier, a little heavier, etc.

But it does EVERYTHING pretty much. It covers 24-400mm, 5-axis stabilization, 4k video, etc. That long lens comes in handy and I sell stock video so the 4k is a big plus. It's about as big as a small dSLR,but it's lighter than it looks.

With this one camera, I don't have to take any other gear with me other than a compact tripod and I also carry a small audio recorder.

It's not for everybody for sure. But for travel, and the features that mean the most to me, it's the best travel camera I think I've ever had. :)

Great pictures!

I like the rooster image...reminds me of the song - "Little Red Rooster" by Willie Dixon for some strange reason.

RB

Great pictures!

I like the rooster image...reminds me of the song - "Little Red Rooster" by Willie Dixon for some strange reason.

RB

Thanks! He was eying the blue-cheese bacon burger I was eating at the Nueces Country Market after riding around the area all day. Maybe he as just glad it wasn't a chicken sandwich? ;)

Great burgers by the way, and they have a decent selection of wine there too if you partake. The beverage barn in Camp Wood is pretty much standard gas station wine, but not too horrible. But the Lowes Grocery Store in Rock Springs down the road has some decent budget selections too. ;)

If anyone ends up getting a small group together and staying at the Cable Cabin Court, tell Casey and Christy that Skip said "hey!"

I'm planning on going back out there myself and staying there again in the next couple of months, and maybe again when the leaves change. Bet it's gorgeous out there with decent color.

Last edited:
Back