• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Roaming the Western USA

Re: Going for Gold

That's it. I am getting tire of losing what I have type on this laptop.

I'll keep it short.

Woke up this morning to sunny skies, cool temps, and light breeze from the south.
Headed toward Gila Cliff Dwellings, but got to Silver City and was freaking cold.
Turned around and headed to warmer weather.

When I entered N.M. sometime back, I have been keeping an eye out for this sign.
Saw it on the way to Silver City.

P5130079.JPG

About 100 yrds further I saw this one.
There was a road for 4 wheels, but did not go far till sign saying not allowed.
P5130080.JPG

Here is where I am staying out. Safford, N.M -> Roper Lake State Park on hwy 191 north of I10.
P5130081.JPG

Tried taking a back out of Bowie to hit 191 further north.
It was primitive but did not go far enough north to amount to anything.

Nice big looking mountains on the west side of 191.
Passed a big big rock, maybe 50 yards from road. About 3 times the size of my bike in field. Thought about turning around and taking pic of bike up against it.
No fences to prevent me.

To those two headed up 191 today or tomorrow, this seems like a nice park.
25.00 for elec night. Just a reg rv pad is what it is. Does not seem to be any place to stake a tent tho. will have to look around.

Suppose to be a hot spring here, guess I saw it. Was too small.

I'll try to get some more pics and post tonight.

Last edited:

You sure picked the right time to leave. Raining every day and the forecast is calling for it for the next 5.
Not that we don't need it...

You sure picked the right time to leave. Raining every day and the forecast is calling for it for the next 5.
Not that we don't need it...

lol. Yep... My sister keeps msging me about to watch out for the rain and flooding....

Sent msg back "I am 1000 miles away. I don't care"

I went back and reread some of my posts. I sure thought I was using correct English in the writing of them. I see missing words and what appears to be misspelled words.
humph... I thought for sure on those missing words that I had typed them in.
Think I know what is happening. My mouse cursor jumps and I don't see it and when I start typing I have no idea where the words were put, if at all. Meaning I don't see the mouse curser. Anyway, enough excuses for my lack of correct spelling and English vocabulary.

Its almost 6am and trying to decide where to go. Sister said she was not going to Co 1st week of June. Too many of the younger generation of hers going to be there and just does not want to put up with them.

So where to go. Hold on, let me get my gps out and see how close I am to some of those placer mines. May just go out and take some pics of the lay of the land and what the ground cover looks like. May put a couple of twt members to work out there. Be good exercise when your muscles are sore from riding all day :-P . Just think, you could be rich and retire in about 30 years of that. :trust:

The four that I am interested in are 200 miles to the NE and then there are some (GPAA) that are 100 miles to the east. Don't want to go east.
So west it is.

I had stated I camped out. Well, that changed as the sun went down.
Sprinkling and heavy clouds moving in. All flat area in the camp area I was in.
Ground covered with an alkali covering. Would have flooded in the lightest of rain. Asked the camp host about moving to a cabin, was told had to do that when ranger was there.

Looking at the sky this morning, no stars. Don't know if just light or heavy cloud cover.

I say I am going west, it is actually northwest, have check and see what the weather is there. I am very allergic to the cold.

Speaking of cold, this trip was suppose to be a ride to Deadhorse.
That part fell through at just about the last minute. The rider I was going with is now somewhere in Canada. Sent a msg to him that I would meet him in Fairbanks if he was still headed to Deadhorse. His reply said it was in the 20s to 30s and he was unsure how much further north he would go.

I don't think i'll post when I go to Alaska. You'll just see my spot tracks and then you suddenly ask yourself "WTH is he doing up there?".....
That was what I was going to do with this RR.

Just had a look at google maps. Those mines are north of Congress, Az... I don't want to have to ride through Phoenix. An't no easy way around either.

Garmin Virb Elite review (my problems)
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1348593#post1348593

Last edited:

Just had a look at google maps. Those mines are north of Congress, Az... I don't want to have to ride through Phoenix. An't no easy way around either.

Correct on both counts.

The most direct way is 60 west, 202 north (becomes 202 west), 101 north (becomes 101 west), 17 north, 74 west, 60 north, 89 north to Congress.

The LOOOOOONG way is 70 north to Globe, 188 north out of Globe to 87 north, 260 north from Payson to Camp Verde and then continue west to Cottonwood, Clarkdale, Jerome (famous old mining town), then 89A down to Prescott, 89 south through the White Spars and down Yarnell Hill to Congress. Much, much longer, but a much better ride.

I keep losing what I have written before I can post it.
Going to post in single post by editing what I already have written.

Day 12
Day miles: (600 -> 2 days) ~400 today
Trip miles; 2491
Ode day finish: 32450.8
Current Location: (don't know) on I10 in motel.

Safford to Yarnell...
Beautiful scenery west of Top-of-the-World on hwy 60.
Rock spires rising from the bottom of deep gourges and even from the sides of mountains.
Towering to a height I can not even guess.
Curvy road, up and down the mountain, through a tunnel... Did I say it was Beautiful?

Then on hwy 89 between Congress and Yarnell. Sharp twisting switch back road that just kept climbing. From the low desert area up to 5,000 feet or so. From warm winds to a biting cold one that was blowing ever so brisk.

Have vids unsure of quality.
-----
Went looking for the first claim I wanted to see.
Mina road, a road like no other; Sand, rocks, gravel. A DS dream if not loaded, but not to worry we, the bike and I handled it like we were ment for each other..... :rider: for life.. :-P

Took a vid on the way down Mina road (down the mountain and up it), just don't know how it will turn out.

This first claim is more rugged than I had thought. Claim boundaries are on either side of a gorge.
Few pics of it.

The second claim, was not too much of a climb, mostly flat with some rise at places.
Beautiful though...
Now here is the catch with the second one. I did take pics and then put camera away and went walking to find the other claim marker. What I came across was what appeared to be a large fossilized bone. I am not kidding.. About 20 inches long and appeared to be some 6 to 8 inches in dia judging by what was showing above the ground. The shape was exactly like you see on the history channel and such that show the bones of dinosaurs. The main part of the bone extending in length to an enlarged joint.
I had already put away my camera, so did not get a pic of it.
What I will post to back up my hypothesis is a piece petrified wood. Maybe from same era.
This ground is very mineralized.

Claim 2, layout images.

Mineralized rocks, small I know.
P5140096.JPG

Petrified wood. Not palm for sure.
P5140097.JPG

P5140101.JPG

top - Petrified wood
bottom left - Banded agate. have to wait till home.
bottom right - Not really colored enough to be Rose Quartz. almost right on tip of tongue and can not recall name.
P5140098.JPG

P5140099.JPG

I will see about posting the vids and other pics of claims in morning.

Last edited:

Correct on both counts.

The most direct way is 60 west, 202 north (becomes 202 west), 101 north (becomes 101 west), 17 north, 74 west, 60 north, 89 north to Congress.

The LOOOOOONG way is 70 north to Globe, 188 north out of Globe to 87 north, 260 north from Payson to Camp Verde and then continue west to Cottonwood, Clarkdale, Jerome (famous old mining town), then 89A down to Prescott, 89 south through the White Spars and down Yarnell Hill to Congress. Much, much longer, but a much better ride.

I wound up going through Phoenix... oh well, saw some sights I would not have, but then again I didn't see some sights I could have...
What to do, what to do....

Videos

West of Top-of-the-World
Don't know if what I was calling spires are really chimneys.
They start at 1:00
West of Top of the World

I can't get the other videos uploaded.
It also appears that the vids from Mina Road do not exist.
------
Found Mina Road with the vid of the claim.
The gully that I stop at and point cam to is one claim.
There is another claim on the opposite side of the road for sale also.

With toes hurting like they are, I did not feel like walking this area.
It is rugged.

Trying to upload vid now.

Forget it, its been setting at 6 mins remaining for the last 10 mins.

Last edited:

garfey on another forum has brought thoughts to mind that I had been thinking of for three days now and nave now decided to post here.

Think I was in Az when this thought started forming in mind about why I am here in Az and N.M., they have nothing here that the Great State of Texas does not have in some form or fashion. Was the idea of this ride more of a thought "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"...

I think of the places that I could have gone just in Texas, especially the history of it's beginnings. There are places that I would more than likely bypass, like San Jacinto Monument and The Alamo, mostly because of traffic. I hear The Alamo has become too commercialized, which detracts from what it represents.

I am not happy with this RR... It did not come together as planned.
Doesn't matter "that is when the adventure begins".
I know it is not what I was expecting of myself.
Was it better than Rambling Texas, no idea and I require no feedback from TWT on that.

-----
that one rock is not banded agate. it is either just quartz or feldspar.
actually same for the other one. The big one is some sort of petrified wood and is does appear to have veins of some mineral type in it.

The fossilize bone that I saw, I do believe it was..
But will never know now.
Those claims just require too much time and energy for one man to do.
Pipe Dream.

As much as I like to take TWT on these rides with me on a day to day RR.
The reports just seem to come up short.
It is a lot of work.

I am not finished riding for the year. TAT in 1st week of Sept, if I can find a riding partner.
Did not really want to head home, but have lost the enthusiasm I had for it when I first started.

Seemed to always be something wrong.
Mostly pictures and vids not turning out like I thought they should.
Someday a camera will be invented to take a picture of what is in your mind's eye.
Oh, did you know they are already developing one?
very experimental at this time.

One more post to this RR.

Somewhere east of Van Horn, I needed a break, like real bad.
Pulled into a small gas station and there was a HD there getting fuel.
Went on into the store and purchased a soft drink.

When i went back outside the rider from the HD was looking at my bike.
He stated he wanted to get one for his 17yo son and was unsure of the reliability of it.
I told him about my bike and having the base gasket leak. Mentioned that the 2008 and newer came with a metal gasket that ended that problem with it. Briefly mentioned some other problems that might show up with the DR, but that they are essentially bullet proof.

We got talking and the conversation just drifted from one subject to another.
He is the one that mentioned Jade Helm. Which stated us hypothesizing on what the real intentions of Gov. Abbet really was. If it was for the Guard to monitor or take part in it.
Drifting to the subject of The Texas Republic and WTSHTF, gold/silver vrs rice/beans of which would be more valuable, then onto compact bows, fishing rods and tents.

This conversation went on for almost 2 hours covering what seemed like every aspect of life and what might happen.

He is raising his two sons, one in college now, and the 17 yo still at home.
He stated he is old school in the raising of them. Which was good to hear.

His work takes him in and out of Israel on a regular basis.

I will be sending him a email with the TWTex link, along with the link to the Jade Helm thread, as I do believe he would make a good addition to the TWT membership.
---

one last image of gps trip stats.
I knew i had gone over 3k miles, but did not think it was by this amount.

gps_trip1.JPG

Love to rock hound did a bunch in northern New Mexico and lower Colorado. Keep the ride reports coming.

Glad to see you made it home, even if O-Dark-Thirty. Sometimes, 'specially when we get old, the mental picture is better than the actuality.

Baja, here we come!!!
(next week)

Baja,
You don't take motorcycle rides for the purpose of making good ride reports.
Riding is for you. The reports don't come up short, they are what they need to be - you sharing something while on the road.
Don't worry about creating a good story for us to read. Make something that will help you remember the trip later.

I appreciate that you and everybody share some stuff... gives me something to read and daydream about when I can't be out riding.

I say: keep 'em coming

And here i thought everyone had abandoned me for greener pastures.

Love to rock hound did a bunch in northern New Mexico and lower Colorado. Keep the ride reports coming.

Rockhound?
Then have a look at this image.
Is it or is it not?

Think it is just Fools Gold....
P5170110.JPG

have to find me sharp needle and poke it.

Glad to see you made it home, even if O-Dark-Thirty. Sometimes, 'specially when we get old, the mental picture is better than the actuality.

Baja, here we come!!!
(next week)

Boy if that an't the case. Mental picture better than the actuality...
Bring it on garfey.

Baja,
You don't take motorcycle rides for the purpose of making good ride reports.
Riding is for you. The reports don't come up short, they are what they need to be - you sharing something while on the road.
Don't worry about creating a good story for us to read. Make something that will help you remember the trip later.

I appreciate that you and everybody share some stuff... gives me something to read and daydream about when I can't be out riding.

I say: keep 'em coming

Well StokedNBored, on that comment of yours, I'll keep going.
Would sure like to go back and get a picture of what i thought was a fossilized bone. It sure did look like what you see pics of and in museums of incomplete skeletons.

I do want to say 'thank you' to all that has commented and helped me along the way. KP and Eric esspecially for getting me going again.

This is road down to two of the mining claims.
The claim vids start at about 11:00 where i am stopped and then continue.
There are two claims one the left and one on the right.
I go passed both of them and make a U turn, then i stop at the one on the right and point the vid cam down it.
Stopped twice to point vid down that one claim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVddSSe_0cQ&feature=youtu.be

With my foot/toes hurting like they did, just did not feel like walking that terrain.
Thought i had a vid of the 3rd one I went to, but guess not.
The third one is where i got the petrified wood and other two rocks.

If it was not so much trouble to mine, i would...

Last edited:

Awe heck M38A1,
It would've been opened back up by the time he got there. but would have made for some great pics! :deal:

It's crazy to see those overhead pictures and then remember that its technically classified as a "desert" due to the minimal rainfall during the year. Crazy stuff.

Hey Baja -
Be glad you didn't make the run North.... The Dalton is CLOSED for MORE flooding.

Details:
http://www.ibtimes.com/alaskas-famous-ice-road-closed-extreme-flooding-1929482

Have not heard from the other rider i was going with.
Last was on 5/11 when he said it was in the 20/30s on the Trans Labrador he was riding at that time.

If we had of gone my route, we would be right in that at this time.
----
I was going to head out tomorrow on a Roaming Texas.
But toe still a tad too sore and this freaking spider bite has gotten infected.

Was also thinking at same time of Roaming Texas, to get some distance west and then switch to Going for Gold and go back to Az.
I still want a picture of what i am pretty sure is a fossilized bone.

My plan now is to make a run to Deadhorse in June or July of 2016.
Still looking for a rider to run the full TAT with me in Sept.

Last edited:

That 'rock' i found that looks like a fossilized bone is bugging me.
Wish i had taken some pics of it to post here and get some thoughts on it.

So now my plan is to go back to Az and do just that, get some pics of it.
Foot is feeling better, so maybe can walk more of the claim area.

From Az i want to ride on up to Arches N.P., Four Corners, and then on up to Elko, Nevada.

Pretty sure i can do that and be back by June 27.

The other thing is the video with what i call chimneys rising up the side of the mountains., would like to get some pics of them and a video of running that county road that follows that gully wash. But that is really too far out of the way to do that.

I can't see doing a new Story Telling report.
Why not just continue on this thread?

Packing for an 8 day ride in Nevada.
Pretty much all backcountry, off pavement from Elko (about) to Las Vegas (about)...
I will try to write a better report, with a lot more pics.
Not going solo, but with about 4 other riders from Advrider.
Plan is to camp mostly, visit old ghost towns, pictograph site, etc.

All i can say is i will try for an interesting report.

Oh, I will be coming back by Yarnell to get some pics of what i think is a fossilized bone. Y'all can then decide if it really is one.

Day 1 (just wanted to post stats about this day)
Left Tyler about 9:30am or so, arrived here (where ever that is) about 10:00pm.
Gps show trip ode so far at 502.6. that from 0.0 as I reset it before I left.
Travel time is given as 8:31 hours.
max speed 79.3 mph with moving avg of 58.9 mph.

Bike is running good, little bit squirrely to start as tire pres was a wee bit low.

This live RR will not really start until I reach Las Vegas.

----
edit: I did get one pic when I stopped at a rest area.
will post it sometimes. right just sleep.

Last edited:
Ride safe and no surprises this time. Let us know where you stay and where you eat so if someone else is headed that way they will know what is good and what is not. KP

Back