• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3rd Annual Around the Bend

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Update: Feb 15th: The t-shirts have been ordered so no new orders for t-shirts as of now. You can still register and/or order a ride guide until Tuesday, Feb 23rd.

3rd annual Around the Bend motorcycle rally

Feb 25 - 28, 2010, Terlingua, TX

Around the Bend registration form

It's time for the annual Around the Bend motorcycle rally in Big Bend. All motorcyclists are invited to join me the last weekend in February for a long weekend of motorcycling and adventure. Ride, trailer, or otherwise get you and your bike out to Big Bend on or around Thursday, Feb 25th. Spend Friday and Saturday exploring the Big Bend. Head home on Sunday. If your schedule permits, feel free to show up early or stay late.

This is a casual event. No predetermined course for everyone to ride. No banquets. No set schedule to follow. Just show up, ride, and have a great time. Whether you attend by yourself or bring your friends, there will be others to ride with. Grab some buddies and ride when you want and where you want. Have an adventure.

Registration is free. Just complete the registration form and get it to me.

If you want a t-shirt or ride guide, please order with your registration as I will have very few extras available during the event.

The riding is great and the weather usually cooperates. See you there!

Want more information? Check out the Around the Bend page on my web site.

Registration ends Monday, Feb 15th to allow sufficient time to order and receive the t-shirts.

Last edited:
If you've been wondering about it, the Around the Bend event is a great opportunity to get a taste of the riding in Mexico.

In fact, this little canyon is just across the border from Presidio...
468915705_RWKPk-L.jpg

...and makes a wonderful day trip. The canyon is called Peguis Canyon and it's about 20 miles or so south of the border. It's on the main road heading south from Ojinaga, is easy to find, and the road is paved so you can get there on any motorcycle.

You don't have to do any border paperwork either. Just cross the international bridge and head south.

You will need a passport or a passcard to get back into the United States. So, if you don't have one already, apply today to ensure you get yours in time.

Me first!

Hi Richard, I'll definitely be there.

John

Hi Richard, I had registered for the last 'Around the bend' but had to miss it. Are there any changes to the ride guide this year?
John

John,

I did a 2nd edition to the guide this past April after Big Bend Ranch State Park opened up to motorcyclists. I added 1 additional ride to the guide (a dual sport loop through BBRSP), but no other changes. If your guide is in good shape there probably isn't a need to buy the 2nd edition just for that 1 route.

Last edited:
... and wants to do a "pop-a-wheelie" on Tricepilots GS!

What a fine idea! I vote that tricepilot let all of us do a "pop-a-wheelie" on his GS. I'm second after Jerry.

Tricepilot, you probably oughta just go ahead and take that rear fender 'thingamabob' off, it aint gonna last...

Tricepilot's Wheelie Practice Videos

I like to show off at Big Bend.

I am going to wheelie the R1200GS!!!

First, here are some of my wheelie practice videos...

Jerry's a comin' :thumb:
... and wants to do a "pop-a-wheelie" on Tricepilots GS!

What a fine idea! I vote that tricepilot let all of us do a "pop-a-wheelie" on his GS. I'm second after Jerry.

Tricepilot, you probably oughta just go ahead and take that rear fender 'thingamabob' off, it aint gonna last...

Finally, this is me practicing last month in Galeana. I'm the second guy, behind John:

Wow this sounds super interesting. I have never been on any kind of ride like this. I've been riding about a year and have a 06 Dakar. Do i need special skills that are only given to a person after 2+ yrs of riding or would I probably have plenty of riding to do. I have spent 99% of my yr riding to and from school and work so all highway and in city.
Thanks for the thoughts,

Sergio

Sergio,

There is sufficient riding in the region that you should be able to easily find stuff that works for you. The Dakar is capable so it will come down to your skill and comfort level.

I'm really hoping to make it to Big Bend, either this trip or otherwise, just have to plan out vacation time with other stuff that already on the calendar next year.

I'll keep an eye on this thread

so, how many people here do the "street only" ride? i'm hoping to be in the dual-sport scene sometime soon, but for now, street.

Mike,

I don't have an exact number of pavement only riders. I estimate it is a reasonable number of folks. There were about 150 attendees last year and I'd guess 1/4 or so did pavement only.

Will be there! Want to see what has keep Uncle on the porch all year?:rider::rider:

Rode Big Bend Ranch 2 years ago and enjoyed it immensely, I've really been wanting to go back. That first time around I had literally just picked up the new model KLR a day before the ride, so next time around it'll be a totally different experience.
+power
+protection
+suspension

I also want to make videos of all my future rides when I'm old and decrepit I can look back at 'em and think of the fun that was had.

Hey Richard,

I will try to make this one...the quick jaunt into Mexico looks appealing as well.

RB

In. Sweetie and I have 2 TW200s, a KLR650, and an asian v-twin street bike - and will probably bring'em all. Just roadtested my slide-in pop-up camper this weekend, with great success - so yeah, we'll be there.

Sounds like a great trip, I'll be there! What is the temprature going to be around that time? Do I need "winter riding gear"? Looking forward to it!!

Dutchman

Back