• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Long awaited trip, Colorado in September

Great report and pictures, sorry about laying the bike and glad not too much damage.
Notice the GPS is not keeping track of the Maximum Speed . . . .:scratch:

Yea, funny thing about that...might have to look into a firmware update or something. :D

Pretty much every night was me setting the GPS up for the pic and going "Holy crap, my wife will see this.....reset max speed." :D

New mirror is now sitting here on my desk in front of me waiting for me to install it.

Thanks for stirring up the memories of my many trips to these areas though out the years. Great pictures of some beautiful country.

Well, I must say I certainly enjoyed the legwork of stirring up those memories for you. :D

Excellent ride report, we were just in Co. labor day, my first trip. Even though I'm learning to deal with heights and no guardrails, we'll be back next summer. I'll bring a bike this time!

BTW, we spent the week just pass CB south in a cabin, beautiful area.

If you have a road bike, Rob, maybe you & I should go. Trust me, if I'm doing it on my bike, it ain't that scary.

If you have a road bike, Rob, maybe you & I should go. Trust me, if I'm doing it on my bike, it ain't that scary.

As of now I do, but bikes pass through my hands rather quickly! lol This might be fun next year as you seem to know the area!

Great report. In reading all the GPS comments we're becoming what we refer to in aviation as "children of the magenta".

Excellent. I really enjoyed the report and pictures. You know how to add little things such as french fries that somehow add to the adventure. About RMNP-when we went a couple of months ago, my riding buddies insisted we ride both ways, once early in the week and once on the last day. My solution to the GPS misrouting, Butler Maps. Besides, if you don't care where you are then you're not lost. Thanks.

It's about how granular you care. I cared that I was in Colorado...beyond that...not much. :D

Next time I need to pack a few more days and some hiking boots so I can get off the bike and explore some of those trail heads I kept seeing.

Looks like a great trip. You did some areas that I've been to a car, but wanted to do on a bike (pikes peak and that stretch from Walsneburg up North). I did some training in Ft. Collins during the Mid 90's and thought it was a great town.

Been up there a bunch on the dirt bikes a bunch in September and I can say it's way fun!

I did a road bike trip with a bunch of Harley types that started in Lubbock and we bombed to Pagosa Springs for the first day. Toured Mesa Verde near Durnago. Its is also a cool stop. We did a day loop out of there then ended up going up to Gunnison and Crested Butt via Lake City. Then back around through Teluride, Ouray, and Durango and back into Pagosa Springs and Bombed from there to Lubbock Via Santa Fe. Very cool ride.

Also, next time you're in Ouray the Box Canyon Inn that is one of your photos is a great place to stay. They have hot spring fed hot tubs. They are set on the hills behind the hotel at different levels. The hotter ones are the bottom levels. You have to climb stairs to get to them. Very fun, but only open until 10 and they ran us out of there. I've stayed there a couple of times on Dual sport rides. Left out dirt bikes out front with no issues and had a great time drinking beer in the hot tubs!

I too did a summer training at Ft Collins. We didn't go into town but me and some buddies took some time to hit the rivers with one of the white water rafting outfits. Had a blast.

I need to do some Colorado via dirt bike. One day...
Joel stays usually at Box Canyon Inn but they were all booked up that weekend.

I really enjoyed your report. These are roads and areas that I frequent as often as possible so it is fun to read about others enjoying the ride.

Thanks, I too try to get up there as often as possible, which is never often enough. :D

Back