• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

West Texas Solo

Reaction score
Hey guys - haven't been able to spend much time on forums in the last year or so and had forgotten there was a video section here :lol2:

I shot this a couple of years ago out in the Big Bend area and it's been buried in a ride report but wanted to toss it in here - hope you enjoy it! Sure was a fun trip :rider:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGsOdIRabEQ"]Chinati Mountains | West Texas - YouTube[/ame]

Great video Tinstar! It must have been a lot of work setting up the camera to ride in and out of the scene.

How many miles do you have on the BMW?

Thanks for your video!

Thanks Kojack - I'd be lyin' if I said it didn't get old :lol2:

It's approaching 90,000 and another couple of trips should push it over the 100K mark. It's been a great bike for sure

WOW, that's groovy.
You shoulda been a photographer.:eek2:
Tom

Gracias!

Hey Tom we need to grab lunch one of these days...

Hi Spirit! Not enough travels lately but that's about to change :mrgreen:

Thanks R2!

That was really really (did I mention "really"?) good. :clap:

Couple questions.
1) What camera did you use for the majority of this?
2) What camera did you use for the out of focus intro with the bike coming at the camera?
3) How did you get the shots from the front looking back while you were standing? Did you mount a GoPro on a stick on the front fender? (the windscreen looks to be free of attachments....) yet the camera was about head high.

Curious minds with an ambition to try creating something like this want to know!

~m

That was really really (did I mention "really"?) good. :clap:

Couple questions.
1) What camera did you use for the majority of this?
2) What camera did you use for the out of focus intro with the bike coming at the camera?
3) How did you get the shots from the front looking back while you were standing? Did you mount a GoPro on a stick on the front fender? (the windscreen looks to be free of attachments....) yet the camera was about head high.

Curious minds with an ambition to try creating something like this want to know!

~m

Thanks M38 - much appreciated and happy to share

I'm not a video shooter, but my eternal quest for a tiny, quality interchangeable lens camera system led me to the Sony Nex 5N at the time. It was small, affordable and its still and video were considered very good. I carried a Lumix LX7 and took a GoPro Hero2 as well - really wasn't intending on putting a video together - just wanted to try some video and see if documenting a long trip on both formats would be feasible on the road.

I stopped and shot scenes with both the Nex and LX7 at differing times, as well as the GP...

Apologies for the long winded blather :lol2: but

(1) the Nex5N with kit lens and 55-210 were used for the majority
(2) out of focus intro was Nex5N
(3) The front shots were done with a field expedient ultralight mount made from 3 tent pole sections, duct tape and a mini tripod - the mount was attached at three points to the front fender and top of headlight IIRC. I just wanted to test the concept and it worked, but a more durable version would be needed for real use - some built in flex is required to keep the camera from jittering. Again, I was trying to minimize carrying extra stuff and the poles, duct tape and minipod were already a part of my travel setup.

Hope that gets your mind going :lol2:

Joseph, Anytime you're passing thru, give me a shout. Im always here, Stuart is the one that travels.:give-up:
Tom

Very nice Video.... learned a lot for my next Video Project !

Greetings from across the ocean.

Excellent use of lighting in the vid. That is the kind of video where you go out there to make the video, not go out there to ride and happen to take some video... Well done! :thumb:

Back