• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ride the Western Trans America Trail 2015

Bruce -
Great report. Makes me want to head out on another trip ASAP!

I totally understand your affection for the Rocky Mountain Chain....

So, are you saying Rocky Mountain owns RK chains?
I was under the impression RK was a manufacturer independent of Rocky Mountain. I see many dealers selling RK chains.

Bruce:
The pics and results of two new chain sets is very interesting. I agree with the "No need to lube" with the new "O"ring chains. Just a good cleaning as Tourmeister suggests.

Last edited:
Rachel and Ed finally caught up to us in their ride report. Nice to get a good mention in their adventure.

They were really great and a pleasure to chat to, and even gave us a few cable ties as we'd run out. I love meeting other bikers on the road, and it's always fun to meet people that have been following us online, makes you realise what a small world it is.

index.php

Perry is back riding. He still favors the injured ankle but it really isn't slowing him down too much. Back to work soon.

It took my ankle about 10-12 months to feel "normal" again. I broke off the little bump on the inside at the base of the main leg bone. That had to be screwed back in place. I was in a cast for 10 weeks with NO walking allowed on the foot. My calf muscle had visibly shrunk in that time! So I had to build that back up over time as well as get the range of motion back. It was close to a year before I could walk across uneven ground without having to be very aware of that foot and where it was going.

A good exercise is trying to stand on a board placed on a small ball. The board should be big enough for both feet with a little space between them. The ball just needs to be big enough to get the edges of the board off the ground so it can tilt in all directions. A squishy ball is best so it doesn't just roll all over the place. The idea is to stand on the board and keep your balance. That really works the ankles and builds up strength, especially for the side to side movement of the ankles.

His was the tip of the outside bone, fibula. It doesn't carry weight but keeps the ankle in alignment. He's been riding his bicycle with DR approval to try to stay in shape. I'm confident he will do the most he can to get any lost ability back ASAP. He's a firefighter so he needs to be fit for the job. He'll do it.

Thank You for the ride report. I know it is a lot of work. :clap:

I'll smoke a celebratory cigar in your honor! :sun:

TAT138.jpg

Excellent report. I enjoyed reading it and viewing the pictures immensely. It seems to me that an adventure shared between two good friends is priceless. I retired in July and although I'm behind you in off road skills and experience, I hope to be doing rides of this nature soon.

Thanks for taking the time to share the trip.

Excellent report. I enjoyed reading it and viewing the pictures immensely. It seems to me that an adventure shared between two good friends is priceless. I retired in July and although I'm behind you in off road skills and experience, I hope to be doing rides of this nature soon.

Thanks for taking the time to share the trip.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes! Memories like these are best shared. Priceless indeed. And writing the report helps lock the memories into my feeble brain.

Bruce -
G
So, are you saying Rocky Mountain owns RK chains?
I was under the impression RK was a manufacturer independent of Rocky Mountain. I see many dealers selling RK chains.

B.

Meaning the Rocky Mountain Chain of Mountains. From Canada to Mexico. Also have run the Pacific Chain of Mountains from Canada to Mexico. Love them also. ;-)

Sometimes a skeletal injury is the better result. It's been five years since I tore open my leg, and it still just randomly colapses on me about once a week.

Meaning the Rocky Mountain Chain of Mountains. From Canada to Mexico. Also have run the Pacific Chain of Mountains from Canada to Mexico. Love them also. ;-)

I think the confusion stems from the RK chain/sprockets that I purchased from Rocky Mountain ATV/Cycle. Online parts house. I highly recommend them for your parts needs. Quick shipping and great customer service.

Back