• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

updates brother and mom..and work

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

It has been a while since posting here. TWT is unique for this prayer forum, and I am appreciative. My older brother in Billings, MT continues to struggle with depression and anxiety. He is working, but barely functioning as a college professor. The Montana winter has really been a challenge for him. At times I feel helpless how to help other than pray for him and listen to him.

Mid-December my 92 year old mother in Durango, CO had the "event"-- re-fracturing her back and simultaneously damaging her ability to swallow. On top she has macular degeneration. I got the call December 17th, and I went with my youngest daughter (20 years old, and a gem) and we traveled. Long story short mom survived with the help of some skilled doctors and nurses, and we helped her move from the hospital to rehab. I had to make all the big decisions including the key one: she is done living alone in the family house of 50 years. Mid-January my wife and I returned and moved mom from rehab to assisted living. To mom's credit, she is healing up and adjusting and making the best of the huge change. The stress has been enormous, with many changes. So there it is.

All the change have illuminated long simmering family issues including life long codependence between my brother and mother: a big cause, I think of my brother's stuckness, anxiety and inability to pull out of the depression even with psychiatric care. Dealing with their relationship has been full of pitfalls for me.

My work situation has deteriorated to the point where dealing with poor management leaves me to a job search at a time I would prefer not have to deal with the stress. So, yeah there it is. God is a refuge though: meditation and prayer and good friends. And, of course motorcycle riding is a healthy activity.

blessings to all and peace

You have a big plate set before you! :shock:

Thanks for sharing with us. I'll be praying that you do more than just tread water and maybe make some head way against the currents ;-)

I'll add you back to my regular list. Prayers for you, your mom and your brother.

That's a tough time for families anywhere. You'd think we'd be really good with these things since it's been happening for so long. We were studying the book of Job yesterday. There's a lot of stuff there that speaks to our lives today...and the situation you're passing through now. There is comfort in the longer perspective.

Thanks so much. For me the struggle is watching my brother suffer. And I do not understand clinical depression very well as I tend to be naturally buoyant.

Walk in the light, and be a light in the world...

All, another update on my brother. He has decided to retire from being a college professor in Billings, MT due to continued struggles with depression/anxiety and general health decline. It will be a huge change for him and his doctors recommended the exit due to work stress and inability to teach. Prayers would be appreciated please. It is difficult to see my big brother decline so fast at only age 63. Thanks so much.

Back