• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Denton Don

Not one to complain but things have not gone all that well.

Good news is that I am off of the warfarin and back to a regular diet.

The knee is still a problem and running a regimen of "Orthovisc" injections to see if it improves knee function.

The real problem is with the Pulmonary embolism came a cough. They tell me the PE is now clear but the cough persists. Frustrated with Workers Comp delays I began seeing a Pulmonologist in February. All of the cough suppressants and "Asthma" inhalers haven't improved my respiration one bit and have had absolutely no effect on the cough.

The problem with coughing is that I have a "hyperactive vagus response" or "cough syncope" as some call it. What it means is that if I cough enough I become light-headed, dizzy and can pass out entirely.

Still haven't returned to work because of the knee issues and most importantly because my work is around automated machinery. No place to be dizzy, light-headed or unconscious. For the same reason I am not riding..........

Still hoping for a resolution but my riding days may be gone forever.

Wow, hate to hear things have not been going better for you Don. I imagine that can really wear on you after a while. I know that being on crutches for about 10 weeks really started getting to me. I'll pray for physical healing, but also for your emotional/mental well being.

Prayers for healing, strength and endurance of the soul. That is also my struggle with chronic issues; it's tough.

Man that stinks. Pray that everything returns to normal for you and that you can get back to work and riding soon. Riding being the most important.:deal:

Dang Don, I was hoping this was about all behind you. Continued prayers for a quick and full recovery.

Thanks all!

It really is difficult maintaining "happy" spirits but if this is the New Me, it is what it is.

I am really hoping for the best as I am not financially ready not to work and still not emotionally ready not to ride.

Tony, haven't cancelled my reservation yet. ;-)

Don,

I wish you comfort and hope during this tough time. I know for many folks that have knee problems, getting below one's target weight, has cured the intensity of patella related pains.

The issue with losing large amounts of weight and keeping it off is coming up against two enemies: carbohydrates, sugar and processed food. The movie and book Forks over Knifes has produced amazing results for many folks...something to consider.

We have lost several friends on TWTEX due to living a sustained typical American diet with little or no daily form of excercise...had they followed the above lifestyle, they would probably be alive today.

RB

I am hoping you get better soon Don.

Would love to see you again. Maybe a Tuesday Night Supper up your way if you can get out and about.

Last edited:
:pray: One ^i^ to take care of the knee, one ^i^ to take care of the cough, one ^i^ to take care of the spirit.

I am right down the street, neighbor. :sun: Sure hope things look up in every way!

UPDATE:

Workers Comp Insurance company has made a "ruling" that I am minimally disabled, currently overcompensated financially and good to go for a return to work.

The problem is that they deny any issues with the cough and light-headed/passing out problem.
My employer has been great through all this but does not want to assume any liability for my return to work if I am still dizzy.

Checks cut off. I have started the dispute process as I have now seen 4 different Doctors trying to resolve this cough.

Does not look like I will be riding any time soon.

Life is good!!!

Well, dang, Don! A pox upon them (unless they come to their senses... then pox rescinded).

Hey Don, how have you been? Any update?

UPDATE:

The knee has improved quite a bit as I'm now walking without a cane. Won't be great unless I opt for knee replacement.
The cough remains but the insurance carrier has now accepted responsibility.
Went through a Benefit Review Conference but the carrier refused to negotiate.
Went through a Contested Case Hearing where the carrier still denied benefit.

The Judge has finally issued a ruling that I feel is in my favor but the carrier still has time to dispute the ruling.

The carrier was required to resume compensation checks after the Benefit Review Conference but I certainly do not consider them part of my "budget".
The up side is that I am old ;-) and had already planned to begin my social security payments. The problem is that I had planned that they would be "extra" money and not my sole income.

God is good! :thumb:

Still not willing to risk riding just yet. Praying for a purpose other than just dog walking, house/yard upkeep and general housework. :lol2:

UPDATE:

Workers Comp Insurance company has made a "ruling" that I am minimally disabled, currently overcompensated financially and good to go for a return to work.

The problem is that they deny any issues with the cough and light-headed/passing out problem.
My employer has been great through all this but does not want to assume any liability for my return to work if I am still dizzy.

Checks cut off. I have started the dispute process as I have now seen 4 different Doctors trying to resolve this cough.

Does not look like I will be riding any time soon.

Life is good!!!

So why is this workers comp?

Don - I am glad your situation is improving. I know riding a conventional MCL is too much for your knee injury, but eventually you could consider a Can-Am Spyder...

RB

Agreed. Absolutely the worst case scenario for how to jack up a knee.

Glad to see you are much improved Don. I had both my knees done a year+ ago (not at same time). It is not that big a deal. They have you up walking the next day and it was no more painful then walking with the recently removed original parts. Any day on the green side of the hill.......

Back