• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

An Unfortunate Accident

Lord God, we humans are frail and weak in many ways. We ask for your merciful healing hand to be on them, not only for Barbara, but for all the family involved. Lord, please be the might, one True God in their lives and circumstance in their great moment of need.
Praying in the name of your Son, Jesus, and to His glory, Amen.

Amen.

Lord God, we humans are frail and weak in many ways. We ask for your merciful healing hand to be on them, not only for Barbara, but for all the family involved. Lord, please be the might, one True God in their lives and circumstance in their great moment of need.
Praying in the name of your Son, Jesus, and to His glory, Amen.

I join you in this prayer brother. Amen.:pray:

So sorry to hear about the accident. Prayers going up for Barbara's full recovery and to give John the strength he needs to get through this.

I don't know John and Barbara but they are in my prayers. Praise God for the improvement in Barbara's condition and her eventual recovery.

Update last night (Sunday) from my brother, Terry:

Spent about 3 hours with Barbara today. She is moving both legs without a problem, her unbroken left arm moves freely and easily, Barbara would reach up and scratch her forehead, rub her nose with purposeful movements. When glasses were put on Barbara she could grab those with what were intentional movements. The facility does put her in a chair contraption for short periods of time.

Strength is good in the left arm as she would grab the bed padding velcroed to the rails of the bed and pull it from the rail of the bed. Barbara appeared somewhat restless at times. Some of that could be attributed to the stimulate she is on.

John said some family have asked Barbara to do certain task which she has mostly performed. According to John, he said the Dr.s and him are on the same page here (more reserved)as to what they mean, they are not convinced she is doing (all) this on command, could be some natural (learned) movements. The family members get excited but John and the Dr.s are more reserved as they are looking for repetitive actions from a series of commands.

Example, the family member will ask Barbara to move her head side to side, but since she does that quite often anyway, is this being done on command or just more side to side action? There is a possibility that Barbara may not be able to do the same task twice or even just once. The doctor and John or much more cautious as to what it actually means at this time.

One doctor came in and insinuated they are hoping she would be further along after a month. However, the Dr apparently was not fully aware Barbara has been heavily sedated for about 2 weeks of the month. Not certain as three people were talking so I did not bring up that fact to see if that bit of info would change the doctors mind.

What I did witness is, she can hear and her left eye (right eye never opened) moved on her command. Three of us on one side of the bed (myself, John & daughter Lisa) and sister from Dallas (Anita) on the other. When Anita was talking Barbara looked directly at Anita, when I talked Barbara turned her head and looked at me directly in the eye, than Lisa, than me again. Pretty neat and exciting for me, Barbara knew where the noise was coming from and looked directly at me, not in just in my direction, but directly in the eye from the instant I spoke. However, when John spoke she never did look at him.

John seems to be doing well overall, very reserved and analytical as normal.
He did ask to keep the prayers coming they are much appreciated.

It might be a while, but she'll come through. I'll keep her in my prayers.

Update for those who have been following and lending prayer support:

My brother visited Barbara and her husband John on Saturday for a few hours and it was a great visit.

Barbara's personality is coming back and we were laughing away a few times. Barbara would get sideways on the bed (somehow), John would go over and ask Barbara how she got herself sideways like that and add "You have to stop." I didn't hear what Barbara answered but what she meant to say from where I was standing was, “I don't know how I do this” and John would respond, "Well, let's get you straightened up" and Barbara started laughing. It had a domino effect on all the visitors. (They say laughter is good for the soul and what ails you.)

Barbara is able to smile and it looked like a full smile. Before she never opened her mouth and the right side would move only very little. Considering all that is going on John is in pretty good spirits, spends most evenings after work and on the weekends.

Right eye is still shut, didn't ask about what it might mean, so I know nothing more there. Trach has been removed completely with only a bandage over the incision as it will close-up by itself. She continues getting agitated at times, but I would say that is a normal in her condition. The staff does sit Barbara up in a wheel chair every so often and has at least once had her on her feet, though Barbara is unable to stand or sit-up on the bed as her balance is not there. Probably muscle strength and coordination is also lacking.

Barbara is still being fed by feeding tube, I think she is off antibiotics, and the fact she moves a lot is notated by an emblem on her door as someone who can fall out of her bed.

John said Barbara could be moved as early as next week but he is against it because she is not ready for rehab. If she is moved now, the "skilled" nurses would not be able to spend the time with Barbara this facilities is presenting with her. As daughter Lisa put it, that would be a set-back because skilled nursing does not work with the patient like Acute Care does. Before Barbara goes to rehab, it would be best is she was repeatedly responding to commands on a consistent and repeatable basis in order for rehab to work with the patient. As of yet, she cannot.

To bring this to a close.
There are a lot of positives from what I saw. However, after talking with John, it is all on the surface. Barbara is speaking, but at times it is does not make sense. There-in lies one of the problems, she doesn't seem to know what she is saying or if she does, it's not coming out right. Her words are clear and well spoken, but at times makes little sense. She will acknowledge you are there and grab your hand, but we have no idea if she actually knows who we are – that includes John and/or daughter Lisa.

Added note:
With the amount of progress over the past 7 weeks, it is very encouraging. The family is very thankful for your prayers and requests continued vigilance for a full recover!

Thanks.

:tab I can't think of anything worse than the condition where you are left wondering how much of the person is there versus something else. My family has dealt with this a lot with my younger sister and her (now adult) son. She suffers from severe schizophrenia and bipolar manic depression with delusions. At times, it seems like there is someone trapped inside trying to get past all that. Other times, it seems like that is all there is. Her son, whom my parents have raised for the last 20 years, is partially autistic and has Aspergers Syndrome. He has been on all manner of serious medications his entire life, many of which have a dramatic affect on his behavior. Sometimes that is good and other times not. It made raising him very difficult because it was never really possible to know how much of his behavior was driven by the effects of the medications versus just him being a typical kid. This was REALLY a struggle in his pre-teen and teen years. He's much better now and lives in an independent living community. His Mom on the other hand has had a rough life and refuses help. She calls our office sometimes and I am just astounded when I listen to her talk. At times it just seems like random phrases that she repeats. It rarely makes any sense. Despite that, she has survived on her own for the last 20 years. I have seen her once in that time and relating to her was very difficult. During the time my folks were raising her son, my Dad's Mom had severe Alzheimer disease, yet another situation that makes it hard to know "who" you are dealing with.

:tab It can be hard to keep positive and maintain hope. Things have not turned out well for my sister, but they have for her son. A few years ago many of us may have thought that Zachary had no chance at coming back from similar circumstances as Barbara, yet he has had an amazing recovery. So I will continue to pray for John and Barbara, that both of them maintain their hope in such tough circumstances.

Following with interest and concern.
They remain in my thoughts hoping for strength and recovery.

Update on Barbara,

They are about 2 months into this recovery and personally, from where they started, I feel this is some real progress.

Barbara was moved to Baylor Rehab in downtown Dallas. Barbara knows who her daughter and husband is, and that’s pretty terrific.

According to her husband, Barbara is able to read. She is still on the feeding tube, is doing rehab several times a day, she can balance somewhat on the edge of the bed, but her words still did not match the topic of conversation too well. Barbara is laughing, so does seem to be enjoying herself somewhat – as much as you can under the circumstances. She sleeps off and on during the day, does not seem as restless in bed like she was at the acute care facility – at least during this visit. Her right eye is about 90% open, but not certain how well it works yet.

I think from the initial doctor’s reports after the accident and even a couple of weeks after the accident, things have really favorably progressed. It is obvious the family is feeling much better now that the progress is much more apparent.

Think this is just more evidence Prayers work!

Welcome news indeed,thank you God. Our problems seem so trivial compared to what Barbara is going thru. Glad her eye is doing better and that she is on the road to recovery. Continued healing prayers headed her way. KP

Prayers do work! So glad to hear about the continued improvement! Will continue with prayers! Thanks for the update!

Thought I would update everyone as it has been awhile since the last one.

Barbara is still progressing well. The right arm, the one repaired with a plate and added bone, is out of the brace, looks normal and moves somewhat. Barbara is talking and has more control of the subject. She is eating better and off the feeding tube. Barbara likes being pushed in the wheelchair and does not like to stop. She can tell time and accurately relays the information so “Yes”, things are getting better.

Barbara is still going through some emotional times throughout the day. Obviously it is difficult for her and somewhat frustrating. Even with that heavy burden, she still exhibits her great sense of humor with smiles and laughter.

They are talking about a tentative release date of Sept 6th. However, still not being able to take care of herself so John is looking at what options might be available. She will need continued therapy and around the clock care for some time I think. She has a long way to go.

Here is a picture of her standing with her husband John and Lisa, their daughter. Barbara still needs assistance, but is really trying. Everyone is very proud of her progress.

Prays are working people!

Barbara004_zps5c2af421.jpg

Wonderful to see her progress! Prayers will continue and we'll keep them both in our thoughts. BTW, Visiting Angels it is an organization which provides home assistance in these situations. All the best to them!

That is an amazing photo when you see it in light of the original posts in this thread :clap:

Is he doing a class or clinic at RTB this year?

Back