• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

OOOPS!!

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Last Name
Baker
:oops:
Well it happened and some of you who have seen me ride are probably nodding their heads knowingly. I went down Saturday morning. I am OK (though sore as h@ll) but the bike will need a few hundred dollars in parts to be roadworthy again.

I had a nice morning ride to Highlands Kawasaki to pick up a replacement bolt for my fairing followed by a couple of hours sitting on new bikes and plotting ways to justify a new bike to my (much) better half. I was turning on my street (yes, only a block from home) doing what I thought was a pretty normal speed when I glanced over and realized I was running a little wide and was heading for the curb. I countersteered and leaned a bit more and felt either the peg or my boot (I can't remember!?) touch concrete. I do remember thinking a very short expletive that we Texans usually drag out into multiple syllables and the very next sensation was head and shoulder hitting hard on the grass (fortunately) and tumbling. Very embarrassed, as the neighbors were outside and saw my little escapade, I gathered the few wits I have left and picked up the bike and tried to restart it (it wouldn't fortunately) and then pushed it home.

The brake pedal was wrapped around the right peg and the right turn signal is smashed. Other than that and some cosmetic damage the bike appears to be OK. I unwrapped the brake pedal and ordered the necessary parts from Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited. When they come in I will ride it over to him to check out since I am mechanically challenged.

I have no idea exactly what caused the bike to highside but will definitely be more careful.

I also wanted to thank the folks on this board, the HSN board and Patrick for reinforcing how important gear is, even when just going around the block. If it were not for the helmet and jacket I would probably be nursing something more serious that just some soreness…

Be careful out there.

-sbaker

Glad to hear that you're OK. When I had my get off, I was about 5-6 miles from the nearest house with no signal on my phone. My bike did eventually start and I rode it home, but it took a while to get over the bruised pride.

Everytime I start thinking that it won't hurt to go for a short ride without all the gear, something like this happens. In my fall, I came straight down on my left elbow and didn't even have a mark!

Once again, I'm glad you're OK. I'm sure you'll be back on the road in no time

Bill

Dang man. Sorry to hear about the crash but glad to hear that you're okay and that your gear did it's job. Gear rocks!!! Everytime I think about just "going up the street" or something and not putting my jacket, helmet, boots and gloves on, I remember stories like yours, take a deep breath and just suit up.

The right gear can make the difference between being embarrassed or being in a coma. Not much of a choice, eh? :-)

Glad you're ok. If something like that has to happen, better it be at slowish speeds near home...!

Was it really a high-side? Your descriptions seemed more lowside-ish to me.

300 miles into my riding, I whipped my '81 Honda around a corner and remember thinking, "Wow, my peg's scraping," right before it levered the rear end off the ground and slid down the road.

I'm finding that my riding progression is a cycle of cockiness and realization of same... ;)

Again, glad you're OK.

Definitely a high side

I think this was a high side although I can't quite remember much. I was leaning/turning left but the bike cam to rest on its right side. I was tossed from the bike and landed on my head (my wife says fortunately :( ) and shoulder about 5 feet further outside the turn radius. This was actually a good thing as that put me into the grass and not the concrete.

Something, maybe the curb, must have hit the tire or another part of the bike to make it stand up REALLY fast to toss me like that...

I can't wait to be remounted and riding again, with a more suitable caution level.

-sbaker

Hmmm, guess it was a high-side, ouchie.

I wonder if you just lost/regained rear tire traction. Some serious physics, that; I think in last week's AMA superbike race, one rider avoided a high-side, but the head-shake was enough to dislocate his hip. :eek:

Don't beat yourself up too much over this, Shannon, it's happened to all of us.

Judging the road surface for available traction, keeping an eye out for traffic, trying to figure out what gear your transmission should be in, and all the myriad other things going on that you have to pay attention to while riding can sometimes lead to an unexpected get-off when you don't notice the one thing that's about to jump up and bite you. And sometimes there's nothing you could have done about it; it's just your turn. Keep in mind that any fall you can walk away from is something to be thankful for.

Anyway, I hope you get your bike back together soon and can join us on another back-roads tour. The fall riding season is almost here! 8)

Glad to hear you are ok Shannon but I am sorry to hear that the Ninja didnt fair out as well. Hope you can get everything put back together again soon and get back out there.

Back