• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend rally - March 23 - 26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a definite maybe for this. A maybe because the XR was "blown-up" in CO last September and may not be repaired by the time of the rally and I may be enjoying (not really) life in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia during that time. At least I'll be in the desert i guess;
;-)

Ok, got registation payment on the way & I got a cabin rented @ Chisos Mining Co. (they are fully booked at El Dorado)

My plan for that week is to ride to Alpine that Tues & stay the night (Best Western?). Wednesday ride to Marfa & down Pinto Canyon Rd to Candelebria & stay the night @ Chinati Springs. Then, Thursday ride thru Presidio & to the rally.

If anyone wants to join me Tues & Wed, your welcome to it.

Reservations made at Chisos Mining. Will send in registration later this month when I know for sure how many can go. Trying to decide which mounts to bring. Will be riding State Park one day for sure.

Our ringleader is putting together a ride in the National park and we have a question about the roads on the Terlingua Ranch. Are the roads from the desert challenge we did in '16 and '14 Public roads. I know there was a lot of dustup about it last year and we don't want to cause more.

Exactly where do you cross the border there?

For lunch only, on foot, Boquilles, at the far eastern edge of the national park, 60 miles from HQ. Not worth doing unless you combine it with riding in the national park. River Road or trailer and ride dos y dos routes.

For riding to the canyon overlook, lunch in small city of Ojinaga, camping overnight, and Peguis canyon ride 70 plus miles of concrete to Presidio and cross over there. But keep in mind the overlook is 280 plus mile trip. And a border crossing. And Mexico.

Last edited:
Our ringleader is putting together a ride in the National park and we have a question about the roads on the Terlingua Ranch. Are the roads from the desert challenge we did in '16 and '14 Public roads. I know there was a lot of dustup about it last year and we don't want to cause more.

Not public. All private. They require 1 property owner's permission and use is limited and speeds must be controlled. Many forum members are owners there and know the exacting rules.

The old girl has all her electrics redone.
New wiring harness, blinker unit, brake switches, battery, etc.
All oil seals replaced. She is not spewing oil anymore.
Will be fun to ride the Dos2dos again.
Last year she made all way up black gap.

Mousse inserts don't care if the surface is asphalt. They don't like high sustained speeds, whether on a dry lake bed in Baja or on a highway. The park speed limit is 45. The pavement around the area--that is up to you how fast you want to ride. On that bike, keep the speeds under 65 and you will not have trouble with Mousse inserts.
But the Dakar bikes use Bib mousse and they hit speeds of 100 mph+ and depending on terrain cruise long distances at not much less. Granted they swap Bibs and tires daily so is the speed concern you reference just longevity for the average dual sporter only?

_

But the Dakar bikes use Bib mousse and they hit speeds of 100 mph+ and depending on terrain cruise long distances at not much less. Granted they swap Bibs and tires daily so is the speed concern you reference just longevity for the average dual sporter only?

_

I do not know what inserts the Dakar guys use, or if they are the consumer-grade inserts they we all can purchase. I just know that at sustained highway speeds the inserts will break down much quicker.

In the instance of the poster that was asking the question, I think he will be fine using the inserts at Big Bend.

Booked a campsite at Rancho Topanga. I'll be coming in early and doing some pre-group exploring.

Unfortunately I just learned of this. I can't find a motel now. Any suggestions?

hotels booked today and i could only get 23 & 24 at El Dorado then got one at Big Bend Holiday Hotel for the 25th. Apparently there is "one room left" at El Dorado.

Ill be on my Tiger 800 XC so im curious to know which roads i should stick to (i know i'll figure this out when i get there), I want to do as much off road as possible. I have done the TAT on it so not scared by any means but i have heard Black Gap is challenging on a big girl...

Some options that might work in addition to the Chisos Mining Company and Big Bend Resort: AirBnB, Longhorn Ranch Motel, Big Bend Casitas, Badland Hotel in Lajitas

Last edited:
Some options that might work in addition to the Chisos Mining Company and Big Bend Resort: AirBnB, Longhorn Ranch Motel, Big Bend Casitas, Badland Hotel in Lajitas

The AirBnB options are somewhat thin out there. I snagged the best one (:trust:) & there's a couple of other's that are super nice but most are camp sites on peoples back 40 priced rather high IMO.

Im planning on making this one. Hopefully aboard my NEW Dualsport bike. I will probably camp. I will be riding something much lighter than the previous DR650 that I struggled with in the deep sand...

Attachments

• 14051659_1232610500096181_4781109776812984841_n.jpg
    14051659_1232610500096181_4781109776812984841_n.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 251
  • 2016-Husqvarna-TE-501-S-Review-Test-3.jpg
    2016-Husqvarna-TE-501-S-Review-Test-3.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 246
Sent in my registration and have camping spot reserved at Big Bend Motor Lodge for the 23, 24 and 25th. Looking forward to this ride have been wanting to ride Big Bend for years.
Glen

Well #@!?, I don't know how I screwed this up but apparently I don't have a reservation at the El Dorado Hotel after all.

Back on November 11th I thought I got one nailed down and posted that I had the hotel booked. Today I thought I'd get all my paperwork printed and couldn't find a reservation email anywhere. Just called the hotel to check and they can't find anything either.

I'm not going to camp so it looks like I won't be able to make this trip after all. A really big bummer. I'm so mad at myself.

Try one of these and I bet you can get a room.
Big Bend RV Resort and Motel
Wild horse Station
Lajitas Resort
La Posada Milagro
Airbnb
Homeaway.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back