• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Arctic Circle or bust in June.....

Good luck on your trip. Last year when I went I found a lot of the things I read and worried about weren't issues. I never had issues finding camp spots or hotels. After the 4th day I was pretty much making it up as I went. Ride safe and enjoy yourself.

... Last year when I went I found a lot of the things I read and worried about weren't issues. I never had issues finding camp spots or hotels. ...

I can't help but note that you don't say that you were able to avoid the hordes of skeeters! My sister & her hubby went a few years ago when her son was stationed up there, said they really looked forward to seeing Brown/Grizzly bears, sent a pic of the only one they saw . . . on a postcard! She said they saw lots of Bear poop, though. :lol2:

Have a great time. I went up in 2013, and it was an adventure. Don't forget the insect repellant. Dan at Adventure Cycleworks is a great host while he works on your bike. You will have a great shared adventure. Be safe and enjoy.

I can't help but note that you don't say that you were able to avoid the hordes of skeeters! My sister & her hubby went a few years ago when her son was stationed up there, said they really looked forward to seeing Brown/Grizzly bears, sent a pic of the only one they saw . . . on a postcard! She said they saw lots of Bear poop, though. :lol2:

The mosquitos and horse flies were one of the issues I read about that turned out to be true. Before leaving I treated my clothes, riding gear and tent with "Sawyer premium insect repellent for clothes gear and tents". That took care of the problem for the most part.

I was ten minutes into the Ice field park way and saw a bear. I stayed far away but got a picture. I couldn't believe people were driving by and not looking at it. Another mile down the road another bear. I slowed down. After about the 12th bear I figured out why people weren't slowing down. They were everywhere. I saw brown , black , and grizzly bears. I don't recall running across any in Alaska but I didn't spend much time there.

Big_John,
If you manage to work the Ice field Parkway into your route don't believe the 3 hours google says. Plan for a whole day. Every turns a post card. It was one of the better parts of my trip.

Ohh, I just finished reading the Blog and was enjoying it very much...
Too bad you had to return.
What was the issue and looking back, could you have had it fixed in Spokane?

Sorry to read that your trip ended prematurely. :doh: Glad you were safe and able to easily get the bike back.

Aw man... that sucks :(

Sorry to hear you couldn't make it to Alaska like you planned, but at least you didn't find out about the gear while moving :eek:

Look forward to hearing about some "makeup" riding once you get the bike fixed, though!

Sorry about the shortened trip. Let the planning for next year begin.

Just read the whole thing. You had an adventure, just not the one you planned. Over the years to come ya'll will always look back and talk about the trip home in the U-Haul. I'll be standing by for Arctic Circle 2.0.

Great ride report, I just read the whole thing. Bummer on the Beamer, next year will be your year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back