• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A Trip to The Glen

philipbarrett

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
As in Watkins Glen International racetrack, known to race fans worldwide simply as "The Glen." Former host of the US Formula 1 GP during the wildest and most dangerous days of the series. A place that saw the likes of Jackie Stewart, Graham Hill, Jim Clark, Mario Andretti, James Hunt & Nicki Lauda push themselves & their machines to the absolute limit on one of the Grand Prix circus' fastest & most dangerous tracks. A place that Cervert and Koinigg never came home from. A track where excellence is rewarded and mistakes can exact a heavy toll.

When the phone call came from an old friend and highly successful Formula Atlantic racer that he had been accepted into the vintage races and needed some pit help I know upstate New York was going to be my destination last week.

But more on our track exploits later. Let's whet some appetites...

L1040132-L.jpg

Alfa Romeo Tipo 33, ex Le Mans car voted by Motorsport as the most beautiful race car ever built.

L1040108-L.jpg

Some serious LMP-2 hardware. Those carbon brakes alone would buy you a pair of 1200GS'!

L1040045-L.jpg

"That's not a turbo, THIS is a turbo!"

L1040127-L.jpg

These guys are privateers. Complete with a Le Mans winning LMP-1 Audio R8, trailers & full time mechanics. Imagine what a post-race teardown costs for this Fraulein?

L1040123-L.jpg

Actually the event runs the gamut from the 7 figure machinery down to guys in Spridgets and Formula Vs.

L1040119-L.jpg

Stay tuned...

Also a good place to get your car toasted, until they closed down "the Bog."

I believe I recently heard that F1 may be returning to Watkins Glen. Nothing against Austin, which is a wonderful track. But I love to see F1 racing at historic sites.

Back