• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Terlingua Enduro

philipbarrett

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I found this today on the http://www.terlinguateacher.net/ site put together by Trent Jones to record his time at the Terlingua school.

Sounds fascinating, does anyone have further information on these races?

enduro1976-2-XL.jpg

DBSA used to put them on in the 80 s , it was so far to go out and put on an event and took so many people to do it they quit around mid to late 80 s also the weather didn't cooperate one year and dumped around foot or so of snow on the desert . It took almost 24 hours to rescue all the riders and get them back to pavement and the bikes that were abandoned in the desert took a month or so to get them all out . I'm not sure if that was the death blow or not . Kosmic Kathy was working a check point for that event , she can tell a bunch of tails about it . The April weekend that the event was held would attract a group of riders from a few surrounding states and the local clubs and we would just go ride and play in the desert . I went a couple times in the 90 s when it was the unofficial event .

Glenn Pepper and Barrick Watts started the Terlingua enduro around 1976 or 1977..
Villa de la Mina was the headquarters and camping area...

I figure our very own Irishcoffee would have chimed in by now. I figure he would have ridden one of the Terlingua enduros. Someone that would know for sure would be George McMahon. I will ask him next time I see him.

Even up to 10 years ago, back when there was still an official AMA sanctioned Dual Sport event, there were some single track sections that we had access to ride. We actually were able to ride into Long Draw at a few different places and then there were some really cool single track sections leading out of Long Draw.

Back