• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bonus Pie Adventure

Reaction score
Started out from Hurst around around 10am. Quick stop McD for a sausage burrito getting back on the road.
0347c8d6f044462b2dea7166c767225a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes, I am glad no one was hurt. I had a similar episode on the western side of Colorado when I hit a pipe case going south on Highway 139. The damage was minor compared to yours. I had to re-balance the tire with more rim weights to compensate for the warp of the wheel.

RB

I have more pictures to post here, waiting on phone update to finnish.

man talk about a pain! my media slot on my PC decided that nothing plugged into it had anything on it, so I switched to old net book and downloaded sena pics to it but it would not upload to photobucket. :doh: so I bought a new one.

took five hours to run all the updates to new one. :headbang:

day started out good with a BEC biscuit at micky D's
didn't take us long to learn that when you mix a goldwing pulling a trailer with a stiff head wind you are going to be making frequent gas stops.
B1133364-DA80-4975-834C-942FAEEC63E2_zpsewgertwl.jpg

we got back going again and I decided to test the aim of the camera in my sena 10C I had just switched over to my new helmet.

S10C0014_zpszkr3ryhj.jpg

S10C0015_zpsg0ulzb4o.jpg

a bit further down the road we came up on something interesting.

S10C0016_zpsgwrqckm1.jpg

S10C0017_zps2xmgnsak.jpg

outside of sweet water I hit the block.
837A4144-D0E0-4BCF-8D96-EA289FA3B290_zpsfei4nrvt.jpg

we nurse her in to the big city of Roscoe and from there to the out skirts of Sweetwater where after much beating, hammering and cursing we manage to get the wheel bent just enough to hold air.
I was not comfortable continuing on with the trip with a tire I could see the underside of the bead on.

A553A46E-CE0C-49D4-BED9-C1CEF81A8FD7_zpsgtcatn9r.jpg

we factored in we had started off a day early and decided to nurse the bike home and keep a eye on the tire pressure and once home get some sleep and depart bright and early with the trailer behind my car that would get nearly twice the gas milage the wing was getting pulling the trailer.
everything was going good till we hit the first gas stop on the return and I walked out of the store to see smoke pouring out from jeff's wing.

I had two choices, 1- start shooting video of what was looking like it would be a good fire right next to a gas pump, or 2- move my bike away from what was looking like it was going to be a good fire next to a gas pump.

I am sorry, I picked move my bike a safe distance away.

by the time my wounded bike was a safe distance away he had already ripped off side panel and ripped the ground wire off the battery stopping the smokes steady progress towards the battery and ruining a potential good video.

8E7213E5-651F-41BC-A2A2-B6488A26E4DD_zpsdlvwe3bv.jpg

at this point we call Brian for a rescue and debate staying with plan B but decide not to tempt fate into throwing strike three our way.
and seeing as we wouldn't make it to Pie Town decide to do the next best thing. truck stop fried pie!
F92E746D-EBE7-449F-8E57-5DDE91C64541_zps1wlxjw9w.jpg

Great Story. What fun. May the next one be less storyful for your sake.

S10C0015_zpsg0ulzb4o.jpg

Jeff, what did you pack in your trailer? That's a huge amount of gear for a weekend ride...or were planning on staying on the road for several months?

Last edited:
Jeff, what did you pack in your trailer? That's a huge amount of gear for a weekend ride...or were planning on staying on the road for several months?

welllll......it's not exactly Jeff's trailer, he is free to use it any time he wants, but it is registered in my name and I bought it. we both built it!

in the bag was:
a tent large enough to be comfortable (5'10" stand up tall rated sleep 8)
1 ice chest rate to keep ice 3 days in summer
2 large comfy folding chairs
2 adult folding cots
1 folding camp table
2 cold weather sleep bags
Jeff's cloths
Jeff's cold weather gear

I think that was it.

w00t! Adventure!!! It ain't a party until something bursts into flames. :-)

Mulligan!!!!

Sorry it didn't work out better. FWIW, I'm not seeing the pics.

ok according to malwarebytes photobucket is corrupted with maleware.

Are you going to be able to patch it or will you have to get a entire new harness?

I have already got a replacement harness, waiting for the starter relay. That should get it back on the road.

it appeared to have worn through the insulation at a metal loop on the radiator fan shroud. interestingly, back when the bike was new or not very old, the short most likely would have quickly blown the main fuse. after 35 years enough resistance had built up and a dead short was not putting enough load to blow the fuse, it just turned the main wire into a heater.

I finished reconstructing my bike today! ready for a good shake down ride next weekend!

front and rear wheels from a ZX1100 ninja, new tires, new bearings and seals, new frame down tube.

Back