• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A week in New Mexico and southern Colorado

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Warren
A few pics of 7 days riding with my best friend.

Red River, Taos, Chama, LaManga Pass, Antonito

May_NM_01_1200.jpg

May_NM_02_1200.jpg

Rio Grande river gorge west of Taos

May_NM_03_1200.jpg

May_NM_04_1200.jpg

Silver City, Gila canyons. The Sisters on steroids ...

May_NM_05_1200.jpg

Ruidoso

My dad took me here as a kid.
He trained horses that ran at Ruidoso Downs.
That was 50 years ago.

First trip back and I could definitely live here.

May_NM_06_1200.jpg

Riding to the Apache ski resort ... climb 3000 feet in 7 miles.

May_NM_08_1200.jpg

Butler maps and my GPS got us to this point ...

May_NM_07_1200.jpg

We heeded a local's recommendation and returned to Weed, NM and regrouped.

Butler maps and my GPS got us to this point ...

May_NM_07_1200.jpg

We heeded a local's recommendation and returned to Weed, NM and regrouped.

:tab Two of my maps show it dead ending, as does Google Earth (although you can see that it probably went through at one time). My topo map shows it connecting, but it is likely private property somewhere in the middle. We tried connecting it from Timberon a few years back and not far out of town came to a locked gate. The run back up to Weed on Bluewater Creek Rd is a lot of fun!

Looks like a great trip, Mitch. Lotta familiar territory for me - of course, Ruidoso, and there are some amazing paved roads once you get past Silver City & start heading toward Glenwood NM. But I've never seen that Rio Grande bridge; something for a future ride.

That's the local ski mountain outside of Ruidoso, Drew. We should plan a trip out that way sometime.

Looks like a great trip, Mitch. Lotta familiar territory for me - of course, Ruidoso, and there are some amazing paved roads once you get past Silver City & start heading toward Glenwood NM. But I've never seen that Rio Grande bridge; something for a future ride.

That bridge is about 15 miles west of Taos NM. I'm leaving today on a 2 week trip and will be driving over the bridge on my way back. My brother was a member of the area search and rescue and he hates that bridge still. It now has hot line phones on both sides. The Rio Grande Gorge is beautiful and part of it is now a part of the Nat. Park system. Lots of hot springs in the bottom.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. Beautiful and COLD looking. Lots of empty space in between your pictures of Taos and Silver city. I'm hoping you will be filling in that space with more pictures.

Last edited:
Wish I could leave right now.

Me too, my friend. Me too.

That bridge is about 15 miles west of Taos NM. I'm leaving today on a 2 week trip and will be driving over the bridge on my way back. My brother was a member of the area search and rescue and he hates that bridge still. It now has hot line phones on both sides. The Rio Grande Gorge is beautiful and part of it is now a part of the Nat. Park system. Lots of hot springs in the bottom.

I checked maps, found the bridge (it's specifically identified on Google Maps), and realized I've crossed it. In 2013 on a bike, but in the middle of high winds & blowing dust, so I was too busy to notice it. Next time I'm through there, I'll look for a vantage point and get a picture. I've also dragged a trailer across it a few times, cutting from Alamosa down to Las Vegas.

Inquiring minds may want to know about your brother's story.

Hopefully since you were in Silver City you took a side trip over to 191 in AZ. Funnest road we've ever ridden.

Darrell, is that the crazy road between Clifton and Alpine? Drove that in my Cherokee, and it has to have more switchbacks packed into a hundred miles than any other road I've ever seen.

Darrell, is that the crazy road between Clifton and Alpine? Drove that in my Cherokee, and it has to have more switchbacks packed into a hundred miles than any other road I've ever seen.

That is it. It is also cool to see the copper mine on the South end.

I find it hard to stop and take photos during the ride.
Always wish I had stopped and taken more.

I get caught up in the moment, I guess.

The pictures are in your head, for a while :rofl:

Yes Sir. It's supposed to have the most curves of any US highway. Somewhere I think I saw 1100 curves in 110 miles. We've never ridden the dragon (we've driven it) and we think that 191 is technically much more challenging.

We like the South to North ride vs North to South. Just a better ride for us.

Going back there around June 20th on our way back west. Thank goodness for conventions in Lost Wages. :rofl::rider:

And Scott is correct....the copper mine is amazing to see. And it's a good place to take a break before the twisties.

Yes Sir. It's supposed to have the most curves of any US highway. Somewhere I think I saw 1100 curves in 110 miles. We've never ridden the dragon (we've driven it) and we think that 191 is technically much more challenging.

We like the South to North ride vs North to South. Just a better ride for us.

Going back there around June 20th on our way back west. Thank goodness for conventions in Lost Wages. :rofl::rider:

And Scott is correct....the copper mine is amazing to see. And it's a good place to take a break before the twisties.

Absolutely the best twisty road! 191 or Coronado Trail is spectacular and fun.
Road it from Clifton to Alpine with a pit stop at the Lodge in Hannagan Meadow and then back to Clifton. The copper mine is in Morenci.
This is a definite bucket list ride.

Actually go ahead and take 191 on into Springeville. The road between Alpine and Springerville is a nice ride to unwind after the pre Alpine section. THere's a nice lake to ride past. :trust:

Also, there's a Sonic in right on the border of Eagar and Springerville.

And if you're so inclined and want to camp at a state park, Lyman Lake is a GREAT state park to camp at with nice facilities. And very quiet.

Actually go ahead and take 191 on into Springeville. The road between Alpine and Springerville is a nice ride to unwind after the pre Alpine section. THere's a nice lake to ride past. :trust:

Also, there's a Sonic in right on the border of Eagar and Springerville.

And if you're so inclined and want to camp at a state park, Lyman Lake is a GREAT state park to camp at with nice facilities. And very quiet.

Also great camping through there, just north of Alpine.

Hannagan's Meadow has nice cabins. They also have a restaurant with really good food.

Back