• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A Visit to the Geological Wonderlands of Utah and Colorado - Apr 2015

DSC03475.jpg

Dang... I'm sure glad I missed those trees and the bike stopped short of them :brainsnap

Never saw any of Joe or Steve's pics... :ponder:

Thanks for posting the GPX file!

RB

I would be VERY leery of riding ANY of the stuff we did in Utah alone (except maybe White Rim road because it has more traffic). I really think a group of four is ideal. IF anything happens and someone needs to go for help, you aren't leaving anyone alone or sending someone off alone. You can stay in pairs. The stuff we did West of Blanding is VERY remote and did not look like it saw much traffic, except perhaps during hunting seasons. Cell service is non existent. I got lucky with my get off. Had I been seriously injured, that could have been a real nasty situation! Even if cell service had been available, I've no idea if any kind of life flight is even available out in that area. There certainly was no where to land.

Scott,

Good tip! The series of severe switchbacks in your ride report would eat my WR lunch. For me to try it solo would be very foolish.

Utah Ride

I think I may do some of the routes shown in this video just north of Mexico Hat. I don't know this exact route along the San Juan River but I think it is near the Valley of the Gods road.

Cheerio,

RB

Last edited:
Scott,

Good tip! The series of severe switchbacks in your ride report would eat my WR lunch. For me to try it solo would be very foolish.

Utah Ride

I think I may do some of the routes shown in this video just north of Mexico Hat. I don't know this exact route along the San Juan River but I think it is near the Valley of the Gods road.

Cheerio,

RB

That might be John's Canyon Rd., which runs West off Hwy 316 (the road to the Goosenecks Park). It looks to be an out and back run as it doesn't connect with Muley Point Rd. I have intended to do the Valley of the Gods road several times now but have always been thwarted by rain... I guess the "gods" were against me... :-P

I've also wanted to do Snow Flat Rd., which connects Combs Wash Rd. (just North and West of US 163/191 intersection), to Hwy 261. Comb Wash is a REAL sandy/silty road the further North you get on it. The Southern 1/4 was just dirt. An unexpected forced change of plans on my last trip out there prevented us from being able to check out Snow Flat Rd.

Causeway and Sweet Alice Rd., West of Blanding/Monticello was an out and back ride, 75 miles each way. It was not real technical and we could have done it on the big bikes, but gas range is an issue if you aren't careful. This was the route that had those crazy steep switchbacks where we eventually aborted out attempt and turned back. You would NOT want to be on a big bike for that!! :nono: It was tough even on my 530 EXC!!

That might be John's Canyon Rd., which runs West off Hwy 316 (the road to the Goosenecks Park). It looks to be an out and back run as it doesn't connect with Muley Point Rd. I have intended to do the Valley of the Gods road several times now but have always been thwarted by rain... I guess the "gods" were against me... :-P

You're sense of route recall is amazing. :clap:

I think it might be John's Canyon Road or 244. It then crosses what appears to be a river of sorts. The road profile is quite wiggly after it turns west.

RB

Back