• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WARNING Bad blood at Big Bend Ranch State Park

I adamantly encourage ANYONE who has EVER had negative contact with this officer to write the incident up, and send it in.

:tab I would like to stress this point for those considering calling or filing some kind of complaint, that of PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with this officer.

:tab I would not like to see TWT used as the platform for launching a witch hunt by people that are just jumping on the band wagon but which have no personal experience in dealing with him. Far too often nowadays it seems that mob bashing of someone for some outrage occurs by people that know nothing beyond what they may have read on the internet or saw in some meme on Facebook.

:tab Like Donnie says, if YOU have a personal first hand experience in interacting with this officer that you think was unprofessional or inappropriate, then by all means, contact his superiors and let them know. But please remember, be professional and respectful yourself because that will carry far more weight than some wild rant ;-)

You're getting the government you pay for. These clowns are just badged tax collectors who work for big brother. Never trust any of them anymore. Times have changed.

:(

In total fairness, before the likes of one certain officer Dotter showed up on the scene, there was a pretty good harmony between the oversight authority on premise and us visiting off roaders. Not sure what genius came up with the 25 MPH speed limit in the first place, but I do know that the local enforcement officer du jour isn't the one who sets it. There are now countless ridiculous statutes on the books, of which this is simply just another. That is why a modern day lawman MUST exhibit some level of discretion as to how sharp an eye is cast upon certain circumstances. I feel sorry for those many diligent well intending individuals who wear a badge, and have to daily interface our myriad of willie nillie pie in the sky legal statutes into the real world. I do not envy them at all, and I personally would flat out refuse to have any part of doing that job. Previous park enforcement officers have aparently had the moral character and good judgement to observe that rigid enforcement of such an ill suited speed ordinance simply wasn't called for in most instances. Officer Dotter appears to be a jerk on a power trip who was mistakenly given a badge and some responsibility by TPWD. The speed limit for the park was also set by some one who was maybe lacking in proper judgement. Hopefully Texas Parks & Wildlife will soon realize this, and remedy both of these situations. In the meantime I and many other would be park users will choose to stay well clear of the place. I don't care to be treated like a fish in a barrel, or have my money go to fund any misguided endeavor. Here's hoping we find a person of reason at TPWD who is willing to step and put the park speed statutes & enforcement back into the line of reason.

Any updates here?
Is Officer Dotter still there?
Thinking about a trip to BB Ranch in August with my kid and wondering what to expect.

_

Ive got friends returning from there today, I will get their report

Ive got friends returning from there today, I will get their report

Thanks! Looks like things might have improved slightly already. I mean at least you didn't get the call to come bail them out of jail in Presidio. Lol

_

As luck would have it, one of the regional commanders for Texas Parks and Wildlife came to my school to talk to the kids. After the presentation he and I visited about riding in BBSP. I told him about this thread and he said the park service is very aware of the issue with and did not want riders to feel targeted out there. He was a great guy and seemed very supportive. I would bet money that things will improve.

As luck would have it, one of the regional commanders for Texas Parks and Wildlife came to my school to talk to the kids. After the presentation he and I visited about riding in BBSP. I told him about this thread and he said the park service is very aware of the issue with and did not want riders to feel targeted out there. He was a great guy and seemed very supportive. I would bet money that things will improve.

?

That's a great thing to hear- it really is a wonderful place and I'm sure our business is appreciated by some. Hopefully that lasts. Thanks way-man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I am anxious to hear the news that the BB State park is back to being user friendly again for bike riders. I have not and won't visit again until that dirt bike hating zealot with a badge is no longer there. My son and I loved riding there the only time we went. We were excited about going back until I got wind of officer Dotters various exploits. Lets hope he soon gets promoted to ordinary civilian.

If you see the regional guy again you might ask if they have considered an entrance at Terlingua. I think they are missed a great revenue opportunity. Most dirt bike guys stay in Terlingua. There is already a visitor center there that sells passes to BBSP from what I hear. The long drive to and into the park I believe stops many from using it. Just my 2 cents FWIW.

If you see the regional guy again you might ask if they have considered an entrance at Terlingua. I think they are missed a great revenue opportunity. Most dirt bike guys stay in Terlingua. There is already a visitor center there that sells passes to BBSP from what I hear. The long drive to and into the park I believe stops many from using it. Just my 2 cents FWIW.

We have been asking for this for a while. The current superintendent of BBRSP wants to keep it the wildest, least developed park in the system. He will not approve the opening of the old mining roads on the east end to vehicular traffic. They are strictly bicycle trails for now.

As long as he holds sway there will be no east gate into the park.

The current superintendent of BBRSP wants to keep it the wildest, least developed park in the system. He will not approve the opening of the old mining roads on the east end to vehicular traffic.

JeffS who recently purchased an amazing ranch house in Alpine, invited myself and another fellow WR enthusiast from Austin to ride @ BBRSP a few months ago.

The allure of the area has to be the remote location and the rugged landscape. This offers a truly unique West Texas experience - one that is away from the typical tourist traffic of the main park. With the more crowded conditions at the state parks in Texas and across the United States, it is nice to have an area you have to put extra effort into reaching the final destination.

:rider:

RB

JeffS who recently purchased an amazing ranch house in Alpine, invited myself and another fellow WR enthusiast from Austin to ride @ BBRSP a few months ago.

The allure of the area has to be the remote location and the rugged landscape. This offers a truly unique West Texas experience - one that is away from the typical tourist traffic of the main park. With the more crowded conditions at the state parks in Texas and across the United States, it is nice to have an area you have to put extra effort into reaching the final destination.

:rider:

RB

I believe this to be the overwhelming consensus .

I believe this to be the overwhelming consensus.

Indeed. And to the topic of this thread: everyone associated with the Ranch that we ran into was great to deal with. We never saw 'bad blood' or any antagonism of any sort.

Yeas ago i had a similar problem with a schertz officer, he did get me for speeding. Ok but his attitude p.m.o!
On advice of a friend who works fo the dept in schertz i sent a letter to the chief of police, and city manager. I did pay the fine, but turns out this runt cop had previous complaints, he was suspended, then later another complaint, and was fired.

The sad thing is he will get hired by a different PD and take getting fired from the first job out on those who had noting to do with it.

He, at least, needs some training. Like "how not to be a jerk" or something along those lines.

Perhaps a career change with less power. Mall security? Maybe guard in an armored car - that position doesn't interact with people much.

It might be that he is out in the middle of no where because no one wants to work with him. He is angry because of where he is posted and takes it out on those he can.

Indeed. And to the topic of this thread: everyone associated with the Ranch that we ran into was great to deal with. We never saw 'bad blood' or any antagonism of any sort.

Agree. Everyone was very nice. It is a great place to visit. Rugged, quiet, beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A slightly funny Dotter story from BBRSP- I'm a former TPWD Park Ranger. He once pulled me and my colleague over. We were in State Park trucks...while wearing our state parks uniforms, doing State Park Business. Our malfeasance: Talking on our radio about going 35mph.

Speed limit is 25. :lol2:

He seems like a descent guy from all my dealings with him but he is a hard line, black and white, no tolerance type enforcement guy. There's no grey area. There's 25mph, then there's hard time in federal prison!:rofl:

I was riding in on the main road one afternoon several years ago and saw dust coming in the distance so I was watching for it , met a pickup that looked to be running 60 , it spent as much time airborne as it did on the road . It was a park service truck .

I was riding in on the main road one afternoon several years ago and saw dust coming in the distance so I was watching for it , met a pickup that looked to be running 60 , it spent as much time airborne as it did on the road . It was a park service truck .
Or a park employee in their private vehicle reporting for work. 27 miles at 25 mph for an hour drive in and another hour to drive out or cut that time in half driving 50 mph. How much is an extra hour with your family each day worth to most people?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Perhaps they could change the speed limit on that main park road to something a little more realistic/fun. 45 sounds good to me :trust:

Or a park employee in their private vehicle reporting for work. 27 miles at 25 mph for an hour drive in and another hour to drive out or cut that time in half driving 50 mph. How much is an extra hour with your family each day worth to most people?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Interesting post coming from the guy who compared stealth camping to stealing food or taking someone else's car for a joy ride :rider:

Back