• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2 Wheels no more

Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Last Name
Brogden
It's the end of the world as we know it! I sold my motorcycle. No plans for another one. The old beemer broke down on my coming home from OKC Saturday. Same failure (transmission) as last year. Weak point on those bikes; second time in 12 months. Not gonna keep a vehicle that cannot be trusted.

A fella drove up from DFW to buy it and it's gone! Buy bye.

Attachments

• Airhead.jpg
    Airhead.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 224
Hate to hear that Manfred. Maybe just a sabbatical, until the fall which is the best season?

Dave.

I dunno. Don't have a riding buddy up here. Want to spend more time with my wife. And I'm thinking I get started on a second book.

It's the end of the world as we know it! I sold my motorcycle. No plans for another one. The old beemer broke down on my coming home from OKC Saturday. Same failure (transmission) as last year. Weak point on those bikes; second time in 12 months. Not gonna keep a vehicle that cannot be trusted.

Eighties bikes tend to break more often than the current generation, especially after so many years and miles. I don't blame you for getting rid of it, particularly as a daily rider or touring bike. Old motorcycles just require a lot of attention and wrenching. Not everyone is cut out for it. If you do end up deciding to buy something later on, there are some really reliable and inexpensive roadsters on the market right now, such as my FZ-07.

A fella drove up from DFW to buy it and it's gone! Buy bye.

He'll likely have it running like new in no time. The great thing about old BMWs is that you can always make them run again. BMW has almost every part for every bike they've ever produced, and they keep it all in stock. Check out these guys who built an entire '76 R90S from BMW's online parts catalog:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmVBNSjjrRo"]BMW R90S Built From MAX BMW Online Parts Catalog - YouTube[/ame]

Some things are beyond my skill set. I've done quite a bit of work on that bike in the nearly 9 years and 47k miles I owned it. As I get older, I seem to be less mechanically inclined. Took a look at pulling the gear box and concluded I was not up to it.

If I get another bike, I will likely revert to a Yamaha.

Get a pair of TW 200s and get your wife to be your riding buddy ;-)

We've thought about small dual purpose bikes. Joan has Meniere's disease and doesn't do well with vehicles that lean over. Bikes, sailboats - my two most favorite means of transport.

Well, heck... it's Arkansas. You can ride ATVs almost anywhere! I've seen whole families tooling down the road on one :-P I've been to restaurants with nothing but ATVs in the parking lots at dinner time!

Although, something like a nice used Jeep would also be fun. Just need something to let you guys explore the back roads together and have some adventures. It is times like that when I do my best "thinking" about life, the universe, and everything... ;-)

If we had the money, I would get a Unimog for taking trips in the wild areas around us. We both think that's a great vehicle. Might end up getting a more practical dual purpose 4 wheel machine.

Can't say I'm gonna do 2 wheels no more. But the wife was really excited that I got something to limit the time on my bikes.
IMG_0877-1.jpg

Get a pair of TW 200s and get your wife to be your riding buddy ;-)

This is a brilliant suggestion! (I am biased...) :-D

Taking a break happens, no more riding happens, it's all good. You never stop being part of the family!

I sure see a lot of very content couples, enjoying a day in the woods together. Some of those folks are seniors, who might likely be beyond their best bike riding years. Getting out doirs on fun motorized machinery is easier than ever. There are some great choices out There for offroad or street. Maybe a Spyder? Can't fall over, still puts the wind on your face, and handle bars in front of you and will carry 2 people plus some gear.

Back