• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

a short drive in a cage in the weather

I haven't seen it in forever. Krull was on a few months back. :mrgreen:

Yall think it'll be icegedon in the morning? I think bridges will be dicey.
I own Krull on DVD. One of my favorite movies!

I'm kind of thinking the school districts overreacted, closing school tomorrow. Then again, I don't have to pay their liability. Well, we'll see what the morning brings.

no Tim, they got it right!
the was between 3 and 4 inches on the lot when I left work at midnight and it was still coming down hard.

with the snow on the ice the key was to drive fast enough to stay up on plain on top of the snow. I took the CTP and had to stop to break the ice on the wipers so they would make contact again and the car sank into the snow and it took a minute to get moving and finally back on plain again.

I have not been in weather like this in 25 years and that was in Germany.

no Tim, they got it right!
the was between 3 and 4 inches on the lot when I left work at midnight and it was still coming down hard.

with the snow on the ice the key was to drive fast enough to stay up on plain on top of the snow. I took the CTP and had to stop to break the ice on the wipers so they would make contact again and the car sank into the snow and it took a minute to get moving and finally back on plain again.

I have not been in weather like this in 25 years and that was in Germany.

Here's a little trick, but ya gotta practice. With the wipers running, roll down the window. Now with EXPERT timing, catch the blade and flick it up. When it comes back down it will knock off the ice. You may have to do it more than once to get most the ice off, but it keeps you from having to stop and restart again. The key is that "EXPERT" timing part. ;-)

Just kills me to see TxDOT plowing the snow off the roads here only to fully expose the untreated ice cover underneath. Traction would be much better if they did less plowing and more treating.

Sure looks purty - as long as you don't have to be out in it.

They all had to turn in their chains and snow shovels at the border. Apparently they forgot to read the part that state" during the infrequent bouts of ice and or snow, stay home take the day off and make your favorite beverage. As it should be gone within a few hours or days".

Really folks, there are no snow tires here, you could not find a set of chains in any store, snow shovels! You may find a shovel they use on oats to feed the cattle but it is not a snow shovel, it is a feed shovel.Stay home or at as aguest , enjoy life for a few hours, work is either going to be there when you get back or it is just going to vaporize into nothing and you were wasting your time anyway.

I had snow chains when I was delivering papers many years ago. They weren't that hard to find. I only had to use them a few times, but they sure helped when I did.

I live in the south so i dont have to drive in that crap. I would move to Aruba if my wallet could affoard it.

Here's a little trick, but ya gotta practice. With the wipers running, roll down the window. Now with EXPERT timing, catch the blade and flick it up. When it comes back down it will knock off the ice. You may have to do it more than once to get most the ice off, but it keeps you from having to stop and restart again. The key is that "EXPERT" timing part. ;-)

I know that trick, it only works on vehicles where you can reach around the windshield, and then it don't work on the passenger side. :lol2:

and then it don't work on the passenger side. :lol2:

That's some level 99 stuff right there!

I made it to work at dark o'clock. 15-30 mph across the metromess. Here's to hoping this was the last of the season.

Roads this morning were mainly clear. However, quite a few fellow motorists would run 70MPH right up to a bridge, then slam on the brakes and tip toe across, speed back up and repeat. :doh:

The ice that I saw was patchy at best and usually in one track only. The worst spot I encountered was on a side street near the office and that was a little hairy for a second or two as a guy in an older Mustang spun around and collected a power pole. There's something about locking the wheels up when you have a slight bobble...

Drive time was just under double this morning. Last week it took two days to get home the afternoon of the storm, or seemed like it. Drive time then was 5 1/2 times normal.

C'mon Spring!!!!

Took off on errands with the red squirrel today. I was apprehensive of the wet spots and in the shady wet spots under overpasses. Only saw one streak of ice a few inches wide, and some little pieces in the runoff across where I got on 820. Still lots of slush piled up on shoulders.

Back