• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

Good photo op location.... :thumb:

If your pic is the same day, it looks like we missed each other by a couple of hours or so. Definitely going to visit the National Vietnam War Memorial again and spend some time looking it over.

For those out of the area that want to visit the NVWM and camp, Lake Mineral Wells State Park is practically across the highway. There are some motels in Mineral Wells as well.

It was late afternoon when I hit the road on the DL650, bound for a camp out with TWT friends. I had a 3 ½ hour ride ahead of me.

Soon the sun started it’s slide down to the western horizon. As the bike hummed along, I mused about my shadow, which occasionally appeared, skimming ahead of me.

A dip in the road, a hill, or trees behind me would cause my shadow to disappear. And my thoughts would wander to other things.

The shadow reappeared. A distorted shadow; the “shadow bike” elongated to at least 20’. Amusingly, the left side case was distorted quite a bit.

And so it went, for an hour or so. Shadow here. Shadow gone.

Shadow here, ‘humm, that‘s cool how things look so distorted, wonder what causes the left case to look so weird?’… I’m thinking up all kinds of complicated reasons why the sun at that particular angle could hit at another particular angle to do a fairly accurate shadow bike, except the left pannier appears cocked out to the side…

Shadow gone. Something niggles in my brain. Minutes go by. Only the side case looked distorted…More minutes go by. That side case… Why would just the side case….Holy Crapola! I pull over as soon as safely possible and take a look.

Incredibly, the left side case is being held onto the bike by the drawstring from my camp chair bag, which had inadvertently been locked into the case and the two pegs on the bottom, which the case usually hangs on.

I realize I must not have seated the locking mechanism completely when I put the case on the bike the evening before.

I open the case, remove the lanyard from the camp chair, make double sure the case is properly installed, thank my lucky stars and go on my merry way.

I don’t think much more about it as I once again hum along the highway. I am sure that I simply had not seated the case all the way the night before.

The evening is quickly turning chilly and very windy. I decide to stop and get the electric liner going before it gets too dark to see easily. So, I pull into a gas station, get off the bike, turn to the left side case which the liner is in…

And gawk in wonder. The case is still there…but nothing is keeping it on the bike except the two little pegs at the bottom. The bag is canted outward and resting on those two stubby pegs. Not even the lanyard from the chair to help hold it on this time. Unbelievable that it is still on the bike.

I have been warned that Givi cases have a reputation for popping off at inopportune moments. (Like there would be an opportune moment?) And these cases are old and worn. I had already been looking around at replacements. Guess I’ll start looking in earnest now.

So, yeah, the rest of the trip was spent with my left hand doing a “bag check” every few minutes and after every significant bump in the road.

I arrived at the campsite without further incident. Got a warm welcome and with assistance, got camp set up and in no time was sitting by a roaring fire, food and drink in hand, friends all around.

The next day, at the Meet and Greet, I tell my story to those at the table. M38A1 (Scott) says, “I have a strap for your bag.” Turns out that just that morning in the parking lot of the restaurant, he had found and picked up the perfect strap to hold that dead-gum bag on.

Personally, I think tying one bag onto your bike with a faded blue, seen-better-days ratchet strap with a frayed end adds to the whole ADV bike look. (OK, maybe more like the ‘cheap Strom look.)

Whatever, I am way more about function over looks any day.

:rider:

Haha! Good report. Sounds like that case was determined to leave the bike. I just had friends post a story from my old stomping grounds in Central Oregon. Apparently a bunch of buddies were out on fast bikes and got to a straight stretch. One took off on his VFR, and as he went by his buddies could see that his soft luggage was coming loose. They were all linked up with radio and yelled at him to stop, just in time for the bag to wind up in the back wheel and lock him up.

Bottom line he skidded 425 feet and then high sided.... went XX? feet in the air, and then skidded another 100 feet after his body hit the ground. Dude is still in critical condition... one has to wonder how fast he was going.... :eek2:

What kind of Givi Bags?

Downs,

They came with the bike, i don't rightly recall... They are large hard cases... that's prolly not very helpful, sorry.

the bike is an '09 and the PO prolly got the cases new, when he bought the bike.

:rider:

a quick google search..my bags look like these, except these are very new and clean looking. and mine don't have the red vertical stripe.

i'm not savvy enuf to do this in any sort of snazzy way....

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...PpYXx6amzvC3_vGOwxKBez7A&ust=1424582818928910

Last edited:
These be them....
DSC_3141-1-XL.jpg

Good info. Think if I ever put my Givi PLX set up back on my Bandit I'll start adding a strap even though they only have about 20K miles on them. But, with a Cooscase top box, and ME not paying attention, I did have one come open when hitting a bump on I 10 coming back from a Florida run. Results were lost of laptop computer which contained about 200 pictures from my trip. It was like over 130 miles of 75 to 80 mph riding before I noticed. Cause me to rethink the way I pack it plus lock it.
But then , a year or so ago, Dummy does a number on it again and loses the whole topbox in a 10 miles strech near home, but , was able to find down the road I was on the night before. Beat up but still useable. LOL! With a little sanding and paint to remove about 50% of the scars.

Went out for a ride yesterday with a small group of friends. We had one nice little water crossing and a ride across a nice bridge and got them on video. Most of these folks are very new to dual sport riding but all are starting to get very comfortable!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l08rWBMAoyg"]Fayetteville DS Ride (2.22.15) - YouTube[/ame]

Went out for a ride yesterday with a small group of friends. We had one nice little water crossing and a ride across a nice bridge and got them on video. Most of these folks are very new to dual sport riding but all are starting to get very comfortable!

Fayetteville DS Ride (2.22.15) - YouTube
With your lead in I expected to see some swimming. That crossing was almost dry the last time we rode it. That is the same one on the CB Loop correct?

_

Wherever the road leads...

Being tied up this morning negated my ability to join in the fun on the February Meet n Greet n eat with A Side Of Ride. Refusing to be denied the opportunity to enjoy one of the prettiest days we've had in some time, I hoped on the GS and just rode aimlessly to see where I would wind up; no plan, no where to be, and no specific time to return. Just me, the bike, the road and some beautiful weather. :rider:

So off I went. I just headed out, turned onto the smallest roads I could find to see where they led and what there was to see. Not too far into the trip I found a few old cars in a field waiting to be rescued and restored. Figured I'd grab a few shots, so I pulled over and pulled the P&S camera out only to find it had dead batteries. :doh: Note to self; need to go back there.

Pressing on I found the typical farms, pastures, barns of yesteryear, work shops and other "decorations" that you typically see in a rural area. Lots and lots on bikes on the road! My left arm became tired from waving to all of them as we passed by each other.

Crisscrossing the countryside I wound my way into Mineral Wells. Saw lots of interesting things along the way. It wasn't until I was at the Vietnam War Memorial that I remembered that my phone has a camera. :headbang: Okay, so this wasn't planned and just was an aimless ride to see where I'd end up. No harm, no foul.

photo%201_zpsbtcffl6h.jpg

National Vietnam War Memorial

A side note: The Vietnam War Memorial is very well done. I didn't spend a great deal of time there, but this a place that I will certainly return to in the future. From the bits I saw, I would recommend a visit.

photo_zpsbtrxkxxp.jpg

Mineral Wells State Park

In Mineral Wells, I stopped for fuel and a drink, and discovered a missed call. As it turns out, Mini-me has decided to act like his dad (me :mrgreen:). Mrs. DT has all she can handle and requested my timely return so that I can "administer an attitude adjustment". :pound: Since she almost always allows me to do things such as this ride, I can sacrifice my remaining time and head back to help her out (read: give her a break). Besides, this woman knows where I sleep. :duck:

photo%202_zpsgxbxt6b1.jpg

Parker County Courthouse

As much as I was enjoying myself, I reluctantly made a straight shot back to the house. Sometimes keeping the peace erodes the fun factor. Even though this ride was cut short from what it would have been :shrug:, it was certainly enjoyable to get out there and just enjoy the day. Odo says I covered about 180 miles.

Now I need to go see how Mini-me is coming with his punishment chores. :trust:

Thanks for the heads-up on the Vietnam War Memorial. Don't know how I missed this post until now.

Speaking of Vietnam Memorial, those interested should consider a ride down to the State Capitol in Austin sometime to see their new statue. I was part of the initial transport of the Dogtags of all those MIA/KIA that went inside the creation. It's a beautiful statue which was poured in Bastrop.

Fayetteville DS Ride (2.22.15) - YouTube

Looks like y'all had a great time. Which bridge is that?

Thanks for the heads-up on the Vietnam War Memorial. Don't know how I missed this post until now.

Glad to share. Unless something unexpected happens, there's a return trip to the VWM marked on my calendar. Rather than the VWM being a stop, it will be a destination. Since there's been a level of interest I'm planning on doing a write up about the museum, and I'll certainly share it with my fellow TWTexans.

I grew up in Palo Pinto County/Mineral Wells. :D

Here's mine from this weekend. Feeling kind of burnt out so I did a simple over nighter up north of Ramona, Ca and then rode up Palomar via a dirt route, then back to the house. Going to sleep in tomorrow.

Look closely ;)
10986826_10206459306187575_3334717267955938954_n.jpg

10422121_10206459306547584_6655312716104892916_n.jpg

10994346_10206459307027596_2588994158023934112_n.jpg

11626_10206459307347604_7134687035537605134_n.jpg

Roll up J-Pole hung in a tree for my HAM radio. Was able to hit the Catalina Island repeater 90 miles away on the 4 watt handheld I run on the bike.
11052032_10206459308107623_1307481420017955324_n.jpg

10471492_10206459308627636_4030229693264713403_n.jpg

10431490_10206459309067647_7727992557539361643_n.jpg

Nate Harrison Grade on the way up Palomar Mtn.
10995497_10206459309507658_4043649538237988134_n.jpg

Going down the east side of the mtn
11053371_10206459310027671_4666144716927362320_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10206449911352710&l=8587820960662014798

Looks like really nice riding!

You either have a UFO that is following you around or there is something on your camera lens :-P Look about 3/4 from the bottom and just off center left on your landscape oriented shots.

Stretched the legs a bit on Sunday.

http://tinyurl.com/klov7a5

Was hoping the wind would lay but all in all was not too bad.

Ran along without much traffic except Glen Rose and Dublin.

Ran the posted speed limits :trust:

Came across a rider on a 1200 GS w/ bags near Dublin.

He was headed to a friends house then to look for dirt.

If you know who he is post up.

Looks like really nice riding!

You either have a UFO that is following you around or there is something on your camera lens :-P Look about 3/4 from the bottom and just off center left on your landscape oriented shots.

It's an artifact of the camera on my Iphone. Haven't figured it out yet but cleaning the lens makes no difference. I do know that when in video mode it moves around in that spot so I assume it's a sensor problem.

It's an artifact of the camera on my Iphone. Haven't figured it out yet but cleaning the lens makes no difference. I do know that when in video mode it moves around in that spot so I assume it's a sensor problem.

I thought it might be like my camera, which has been dropped, fallen off the bike while moving, and generally has just taken a beating over the last nine years. Still going strong though!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B000EMWBT2"]Amazon.com : Canon PowerShot SD600 6MP Digital Elph Camera with 3x Optical Zoom (OLD MODEL)[/ame]

I use it for all my trips. The only downside is that it can only handle a 2 GB memory card. Takes great pics and video. The metal casing is tough.

I've got a lot of point and shoots laying around but I noticed my iPhone takes pictures just as good, and it's in an Otterbox and has fallen off the bike and survived before.. It reduces what I have to carry around with me. On some trips I take the hit on space and pack my Nikon D40 with me but that thing is bulky.

This weekend we had an opportunity to visit with Don from SE Louisiana, who has accumulated 433,000 miles on his R75/5:

get-photo.asp

with three top-end replacements in addition to a full overhaul by Vetch at 300,000 miles.

Yep, I'd say that he and the R75/5 have:

get-photo.asp

I bet Don has got some stories! I want to thank Clay for letting me ride his Royal Enfield today near sunset.....what a cool bike!

I actually got these guys out for a Brown-Bag picnic lunch at Lake Whitney!
We didn't even ride by a sit-down restaurant. Hope they didn't suffer any withdrawal symptoms! :eek2:

L to R Dan, Tony, Mike, Ralph, John, Walt, and Herman

Attachments

• B Bag 2 (640x412).jpg
    B Bag 2 (640x412).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 199
  • B Bag 1 (640x195).jpg
    B Bag 1 (640x195).jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
I bet Don has got some stories! I want to thank Clay for letting me ride his Royal Enfield today near sunset.....what a cool bike!

Yep, such as Don flying down under, buying a F650GS single and putting 30,000 miles on it exploring Australia.

Gravel Guy, please tell us your impression of the Royal Enfield. I'm thinking I'd like sure enjoy riding one.

Back