• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A weekend of riding the new Versys.

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
James
We had hoped to make our first overnight trip on the New V. The weatherman was not on our side as we were rained out completely on Friday. It has not failed that when I have a three day weekend the weather goes into the tank. A few weeks back we were snowed out?? *** I live in Northern Texas, It never snows here. But yet it did and we had to cancel our trip. This time we had a short overnight planned. The bike was loaded up and ready to go.

IMG_1981-L.jpg

We woke up Friday morning ready to go. We even started to put on the riding gear. We turned on the TV to see the forecast. It was not good. The radar showed rain all day and all over the route that we had planned. My wife and I drank a cup of coffee and debated if we wanted to chance it. My wife is a trooper, she would have put on wet riding gear and headed out with me. She is a keeper. With that said, I am in the fraternity of lets stay safe to ride another day, so we reluctantly decided to postpone the ride.

rain_map-L.jpg

Saturday arrived and we looked at the weather. Less than a 10% chance of rain. We were riding today! :celebrate:

We loaded up and decided to head to east Texas. But first we would start off at the Lone Star BMW Riders - http://www.lonestarbmwriders.org/ Saturday morning Meet and Greet. This is a weekly event that gets people together at a local Starbucks. We hang out kick tires and then people do their own thing. Some go home to do honey do's, others go to the motorcycle shops and many like us this morning started our ride from the coffee shop. There was a great turn out even with the overcast and cloudy sky's of the morning.

IMG_2005-L.jpg

We headed out around 10am. The sky looked ominous, but it was dry and we were riding. Life was good. We headed out on the Farm roads of Texas, cutting across the Texas countryside, seeing ranches, cows, bulls and more open fields. I love living in a place that has a huge population, but you can ride 20 minutes and be out in the middle of no where. It was misty out (I know all of the riders across the pond, are not feeling sorry for us.. hehe) but nothing too bad and it was not raining. We got to Edom - The Shed and met some friends for lunch. Kevin and Cara drove down from Tyler. We had a great lunch, we look forward to seeing them again. I love riding with my wife. It seems the weight of the world is off our shoulders when we are riding. Look we both have jobs, kids and sometimes the world can be over whelming. Getting on the bike, makes that go away, even if just for a couple of hours. it is one of the major reasons I ride. Of course the twisty roads are another reason. :152:

IMG_2007-L.jpg

IMG_2012-L.jpg

IMG_2009-L.jpg

IMG_2011-L.jpg

IMG_2015-L.jpg

We finished up taking the long way round, back to the metroplex. It was a great ride for most of the way. We almost made it home without getting soaked.. I said almost. We got about 30 minutes from home and the rains came. It was very wet. The bike did well. I placed it in Low mode and set the traction control on 3. The ride was very good and inspired confidence. I have never had the traction control, I was happy to have it. One observation was the rear fender sucks! My poor wife got filthy as the road wet kicked up and soaked her jacket. Had the Top Case been here and on the bike, this would not have been an issue. It did not dampen (get it) our spirits, just an observation. We got home around 4pm. We put 264 miles on the bike. We were all smiles. We are really loving the new Versys.

IMG_2018-L.jpg

Sunday morning arrived and Jamie and I were again getting onto the new Versys. We were the hosts of this mornings Lone Star BMW Riders monthly breakfast ride. We had set up the starting location / Breakfast destination in a small town outside McKinney Texas. Farmersville is a small town located out away from the metro mess and has easy access to all of the cool FM roads in northern Texas. The restaurant was Charlie's old Fashion Burgers. - Jamie and I arrived around 8:45am. The rest of the group started to show around 9am. We had a good turnout of over 20 riders. Not everyone would be riding this morning but it was cool to see everyone and kick some tires.

bfast%20ride_031515-L.jpg

It was awesome seeing everyone and we got to spend some time with friends we had not seen in a while. Bill and Stephanie ride an FJR, they are busy people and do not get to ride a lot so we were glad they could join us.

IMG_2045-L.jpg

We had a great group and it seemed everyone was having a great time. We had a short ride meeting, then we were out in the parking lot getting ready to enjoy the day.

IMG_2041-L.jpg

IMG_2042-L.jpg

IMG_2044-L.jpg

smalls-L.jpg

We did a nice 100 mile loop with some farm roads and twisty roads thrown in. We only encountered a few obstacles. One bridge was washed out and I made a couple of u-turns. I have to say that I am not a big fan of group rides, but this worked out well. We did not have to do a gas stop or make many direction changes so the level of stress on Jamie and I was not very high.

IMG_2052-L.jpg

11075007_10202682203296354_7846611852088738115_n-L.jpg

IMG_2053-L.jpg

We had a fantastic time on the bike this past weekend. I have to admit that I am so in love with the new Versys. I love the bike, the way it handles, the power is amazing. The motor is awesome! I like the bags, I love the riding position. Jamie loves the pillion seat, we are so excited for our next longer trip. We will be doing a three day wildflower ride in April. We should have almost 2500 miles on the V before that trip. I will do a longer ride report after that trip. I know some of you may think this is long winded. I am sorry about that. I love riding, I love writing about our trips. Our blog is one of our passions, just like riding is.

I also found that Motorcyclist magazine picked the Versys #1 in the adventure light category. Like there was ever a doubt.

aaa-L.jpg

bbb-L.jpg

ccc-L.jpg

d-L.jpg

e-L.jpg

so until next time. Ride safe and be nice to each other! Life is too short!

IMG_2051-L.jpg

Nice story. Nice pictures. Thanks.

I rode the original Versys and really wasn't a fan; buying my first VStrom was a no-brainer. From everything I've read in Cycle World and Motorcyclist, Kawasaki has definitely gotten it right, with both the 650 and the 1K. Congrats on a fine new ride.

"My wife is a trooper..."

Yeeha! Stephen was not!

I was supposed to ride out with them and I bailed. Shame on me.

Had prior commitments for the other day or I would been in the pictures. My loss.

Looks like a fun ride, maybe next time. :clap:

I had a 650 as my 1st bike and couldn't wait to trade it. Saw the write ups and sat on it at the progressive show in January and was really impressed. On a tiger 1050 now but could certainly see going to the big Versys. Great bike, good pics and story. Enjoy.

"My wife is a trooper..."

Yeeha! Stephen was not!

I was supposed to ride out with them and I bailed. Shame on me.

Had prior commitments for the other day or I would been in the pictures. My loss.

Looks like a fun ride, maybe next time. :clap:

We missed you Stephan, we will more chances to ride together. We would have loved to have you hang out.

Thanks for the report, really like the photos you posted, and the MC comparo. Looking down the road a couple years at my next ride and those 3 are on my list.

Back