• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Planning for my first SaddleSore in Sept.

"So what was the deal between Ft Stockton and Artesia? Bad road, weather what happened?"
Yes Sir Carl....
My brother and I trailered out from central TX to Las Cruces NM to ride out to Shasta Lake CA.
Via Ft Stockton -> Pecos -> Artesia -> Las Cruces.
That "Pecos" area is major oil activity area.
The roads were major heavy traffic....major dis-repair....large potholes etc etc.
"Me myself I" -- would venture 100 miles around that area until further notice of improvement....in particular if on 2 wheels.
That is IMHO....however there may be other competing, more updated opinions.

Checked my route and I will be avoiding Ft Stockton since I will be on 20 until it merges with 10 around just east of van horn.
I didn’t spring for the ld hat. Just the long sleeve shirt and long pants.

I will look into that. I guess we were typing at the same time

I didn’t spring for the ld hat. Just the long sleeve shirt and long pants.

Remember, they work best in a non-mesh environment.

The big benefits of the head cover / helmet liner aside from helping to keep your helmet from getting really stinky, is that the long tail of the cover tucks down inside your jacket neck and keeps the sun off of the back of your neck and helps with keeping rain from running down your backside.

They will be going under leathers.
I reserve the mesh for cooler rides besides it has zip in panels. Klimt apex air

FYI, a guy in Georgia on another forum for FJR's had posted up that he was looking to do a BBG (Bun Burner Gold, 1500 in 24 hours)

1500 miles in 24 hours, assuming 1) no sleep and 2) 2 hours for stops equates to just under 70 MPH average. That's impressive. Wonder what the success rate is of folks attempting that feat?

My top one-day mileage is 734, all but maybe 25 interstate. Took nearly 14 hours, including two stops for some righteous storms near Marshall & Canton. My steed, a 2009 Multistrada, isn't the best long-distance weapon, as the low fuel light winks at me around 140 miles. Wasn't too difficult, but I imagine tacking on another 250 miles changes things a bit.

Do "non interstate" long-distance challenges exist?

1500 miles in 24 hours, assuming 1) no sleep and 2) 2 hours for stops equates to just under 70 MPH average. That's impressive. Wonder what the success rate is of folks attempting that feat?
The rate is quite high. Folks will post up in the various LD forums about not succeeding, but the majority do. Here's a list of certified rides:
https://www.ironbutt.org/certified.htm#BBG

Do "non interstate" long-distance challenges exist?
Yep. Take your pick: http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/

Please keep us posted on how it goes for you. I have followed the IBA for many years but during that time I was usually out of the US for work or working on an assignment away from a bike. I am very interested in reading your thoughts on the preparation and execution of the mission.

Please keep us posted on how it goes for you. I have followed the IBA for many years but during that time I was usually out of the US for work or working on an assignment away from a bike. I am very interested in reading your thoughts on the preparation and execution of the mission.

The SS1K is far less taxing than what many people make it out to be. For the rookie rider the hardest part is making sure your paperwork/witnesses are properly dealt with. The riding is secondary.

Keep in mind that you have TWENTY-FOUR hours to ride a mere 1,000 miles. That is an average speed of 42 miles per hour. Factor in one 30 minute stop every two hours: 12 stops X 30 min = 6 hours off the bike = 18 hours riding the bike.

1,000 miles in 18 hours = an average speed of 56 mph. Using west Texas highways with posted speeds of 75 mph means that you have a very comfortable cushion of time.

In other words, there is nothing to stress about, and there are no bonus points for doing the ride in under 23:59. Whether you do the SS1K in 13 hours (do-able) or 23 hours, the certificate reads the same.

Once the first one is under your belt you can then start working on your fuel stop times. Your goal would be to roll off the throttle, pull into the station, stop, fuel, take care of your receipt, and be back up to speed in under 10 minutes. When you can consistently do that, you can then begin planning a more stringent ride, the BBG. The Bun Burner Gold is 1,500 miles in under 24 hours and it takes consistent riding, consistent fuel stops, and a consistent mph average of 65.

I've attempted the BBG twice and will be attempting it a third time this coming Saturday, but the possible flooding from Hurricane Gordon may prevent this from happening. Only time will tell.

Of course, I don't want to make it seem like the BBG is the Holy Grail or something. Just because I have failed doesn't mean that others have failed as well. Some do this ride very well. For example...

IBA50BBG-sm.jpg

Yes, that is correct. Greg has ridden FIFTY successful BBGs. :clap:

Well I am stuck on the rig waiting for Gordon to come and go. Hopefully all will be well by crewchange day and I can get home to get this started.
If all goes well and the weather looks good I will be rolling out on Monday at 5 in the am for the SS1000.

One of the cool things about the SS1000 is when you are done you realize how the difficulty didn't live up to your expectations. It's not easy, but it's not as hard as you thought it'd be. Then there's the after effect with the term I've heard and like, that it shrinks the map. Suddenly you look at things and think "I can ride there, that's less than 1000 miles, easy." A good example of this happened to me on friday when on a whim with a comp day from work I put in 832 miles of only back roads for a slice of this. It was worth every mile.

2018-08-31%2013.19.10-L.jpg

Pretty soon your SS1000 will be under your belt and you'll be doing the same. Those too far out adventures become right in your back yard. Looking forward to hearing about your ride.

Copy that Jason, I have already started mapping out a 1500 mile route and even looking at a boarder to boarder ride. Mexico to Canada.
When I started looking at all of the places that are with in 1000 miles it seems to open up travel that I was thinking that I wouldn't do until I retire. Now its like okay a day to get there, a couple days to check things out and a day to get home.

Now its like okay a day to get there, a couple days to check things out and a day to get home.

That pretty much sums up the trips I'm able to take with work and family life. No big trips for me but if I work it out right I can put in a good first day to get somewhere interesting, then spend a few days sightseeing and slam in another good day to get home and it all works out. This kind of thing puts some destinations within reach.

Well, its almost gooooooo time. Monday or Tuesday I plan on filling up at Basswood and I-35W (7-11) at 05:00. First stop 172 miles later at the Merkel Alcon. 189 miles after that Chevron in Monahans. 161 miles to Sierra Blanca for the turn around and fill up. Going to hit the same places on the way home.
I have backup stations before and after each and may use them depending on how I feel and what my fuel econo says.
Since I should be in Sierra Blanca around Noonish I will take a extended break there walking around, taking pictures checking out the bike and having a extra piece of beef jerky and some trail mix and refilling my camelbak.
My trip load out will be 1 gal fuel in rotopax, 1 camelbak Talon, beef jerky and mixed nuts, 2 100oz bladders of water, IFAK and rain cover for Talon.
Nav will be iphone with swconnect in back ground, with Rever app as a secondary tracker and for Maps/Nav. I will be teathered so no battery issues, maybe some cell signal loss. Since I have downloaded maps on Rever, Co Pilot, Sygic, Scenic and other map apps I am not to worried about that. Paper Map and memory as a back up to that.
Riding gear will be Triumph Taloc leathers, HJC RPHA Venom helmet, Alpine Stars gloves with BMW backups, Triumph boots.
Paperwork, I have the forms printed out and will have my Lovely Bride witness my departure and arrival. I have a pen and tally book ready for notes and observations and to keep the CGR's, Photos with the iphone.
With the sun at my back and mostly daytime riding and avoiding the rush hours I hope to be able to pull this off.
I will be back on land hopefully tomorrow and will start getting more familiar with swconnect and attaching photos and such.

Back