• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bite The Wieenie - Annual Pink's meet

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
It's a bit late for a reminder, but maybe someone will want to attend. I'll try to remember to update this thread each year. It's always right around this time and always coincides with the IMS show weekend. The weather this year should be great; it's tended to rain/sprinkle on us the last few years.

The 2018 Long Distance motorcycle riding season is coming to a chilly close. And goodness, some of us West Coast riders are even crankin’ up our heated gear in these low 60 degree F evenings with a wind chill of 30. (at least that’s what it feels like.)

Most regional LD and 24-hour rallies, Saddle Sores, Bun Burners, BBGs, 50CCs, 100CCCs, UCC, B2Bs, 48++ and any combination of Extreme rides are in the bag. It’s time to have a little non-competitive fun!!

The 19th annual Bite the Wieenie
November 17, 2018
Pinks Hot Dogs
709 N. La Brea Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90038
10:00PM-1:00AM

Bite the Wieeenie is not a membership based event. It is open to riders of all idiosyncrasies.

Make this a major motorcycle weekend by attending the IMS Show followed by Bite the Wieeenie. I encourage all riders on the West Coast and beyond to attend the Progressive International Motorcycle Show at the Long Beach Convention Center then after it closes, ride ~20 miles to Pink's Hot Dog to BITE THE WIEENIE!

Pink's is a honest-to-goodness Hollywood icon, sub-cultural gathering spot and past IBR bonus location. The establishment knows we're coming and they don't care. Whether you're a twerking Mike Kneebone, a demure Lisa Landry, Kim, Khloe, Kourtney or Elvis, everyone waits in line. And the 1-hour+ wait at midnight for a $3.45* chili dog is a unique Hollywood experience.

Jacked up pickups, bouncing lowriders, Porsches, pimpmobiles, junkers and LD motorcycle rigs all share a miniscule parking lot while stretch limos and Hummers circle the block while their contents wait in the 1-hour+ line.

Besides us LDRiders with ATGATT, it would not be unusual to see unique body piercing, facial tattoos, the best body modifications that money can buy, spikes and dreadlocks, prom dresses, grunge street wear and barefoot surfers standing in line.

What kind of person rides 1,000 - 1,500 miles in 24 hours for a hot dog?? We typically get 100+ riders from Vancouver, WA, OR, ID, UT, CO, NV, AZ, NV, NM, TX and FL and the Carolinas.

WHY MIDNIGHT???
1. Because that's when the beautiful people appear and ohhhh are we sooooo beautiful!!!
2. Even on a Saturday between 4 and 8 PM LA freeways are parking lots!! Riding into Pink’s between 9-10 PM just might avoid Car-ma-geddon!
3. And it's a perfect Saddlesore Ride (1,000 miles in 24-hours) for WA, ID, MT, WY, SD, CO, OK, NM, TX. Leave before midnight Friday evening, arrive at Pink's within 24-hours later to get your witness signatures. There will be dozens of witnesses on hand.

Some of you know I’m out of country. My schedule has me home a couple days before the 17th. Please cross post to all IBA, LD, MTF and brand specific riding groups.

Dean Tanji
Chief Hooligan and "Bite The Wieeenie" Grand Poo Baah
dtanji@gmail.com

The link below will show you our first trip in I think 2010.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/165RsvWP4BXlD5YueVokNrWoCjjNRWanu/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. After doing the Moonshine run several years always said I was going to do the Bite the Weenie. I never got around to it. Maybe next year.

Thanks for posting this. After doing the Moonshine run several years always said I was going to do the Bite the Weenie. I never got around to it. Maybe next year.

Next year will be the 20th anniversary, so perhaps Dean will plan something good for it. Maybe Mike will authorize a 20th anniversary SS1K certificate or something.

430 pm and one friend is already there. We're in the hotel and won't leave until 730.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This is just a portion of the parking lot. There were 50+ riders from So Cal, No Cal, UT, NV, NM, AZ, and Texas. I'll have to wait until Dean Tangi posts up the final results before I can report them to see if we had any other states represented. I did see a Wisconsin plate on a HD but he left early so I don't know if he just happened to be there, or perhaps was a snowbird down for the winter.

46489397_10212350107577575_5967431748655513600_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

Keep in mind that next year will be the 20th anniversary of this event (I've only been going since 2010) so if you want to ride for a little bit, eat a little bit, converse a little bit, gawk at farkles a little bit, and basically enjoy the spectacle that Pink's Hot Dogs is, start making your plans now. It's usually the 3rd Saturday of November - the same weekend as the bike show in Long Beach, so if you're coming, come out early and make a solid weekend of it.

You have not ridden until you have ridden the 101 northbound from I-10 right through downtown Los Angeles. At night. On a Saturday. With bumper to bumper to bumper to bumper to bumper traffic for about 3 solid miles. You go from 80 mph to 0 mph in a heartbeat and you better be ready for the change. The 101 in that area is so tight that you can't lane split unless you're on a very skinny bike, of which a Gold Wing is definitely not. You can try to throw Dallas at me, or Houston, but I've been there, done that, and nothing in Texas can compare to LA riding.
:giveup:

There were at least three Texas riders that I recognized; Danny Dossman who recently rode through China and a few other places and gave us a great recap at the Texas meeting; Tim Masterson, Basecamp guru and FLIR aficionado; and one other who may be joining us here on TWT shortly, so I'll let him introduce himself if he so chooses.

So, did I pique your interest with the FLIR comment? Tim was one of the first riders to put a Forward Looking InfraRed sensor/monitor on his bike. He also maintains a great LD Riding blog that you can find here: https://hardtxrider.blogspot.com/search?q=flir

In addition, Tim has a very good YouTube channel that you may want to explore as well: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOi0_3_56VvzfuMdHP3eslw/featured

Trivia question: see the building across the street that's for lease? What was the big retail store that used to occupy that building? Hint - you might have a better chance of knowing the answer if you're a woman.

Hmmm... women... retailer... Hollywood... hmmmm... :trust:

From Dean:

The 18th annual Bite The Wieenie was a rousing success! 54 riders committed themselves to showing up at Pink’s Hot Dogs, Los Angeles, CA this Saturday. Once again we took over the Pink’s Hot Dogs parking lot - 48 bikes!

Many spent the day at the Long Beach International Motorcycle Show then wondered over to Pink’s to Bite The Wieenie.

We are sad to announce that the classic “Three Dog Night” is no longer offered on Pink’s Hot Dog menu. However, there are many new options available.

The long distance ride goes to Martin L Jackson, 2018 BMW K1600GTL, from Thorndale, TX riding 1,700.9 miles. Paul Meye was second on a 2015 Triumph Trophy, 1,625 miles, from Herington, KS, and third was Danny Dossman, Temple, TX covering 1,576 miles. My apologies for any misspelled names, the signatures were not that easy to read.

5 riders rode 1500 bun burners, 6 other riders rode over 1,000 miles to attend.
There were 48 motorcycles. Manufacture count:
BMW 18
Honda 15
HD 5
Yamaha 4
Triumph 2
KTM, Suzuki, Ducati & Cam-AM 1 each

Riders by State:
California 23
New Mexico 10
Arizona 9
Texas 3
Utah 3
Kansas, Missouri, Nevada, Utah 1 each

Thanks to all for attending. Around midnight the rider friendship and camaraderie was wonderful!

I followed up with Dean about the 18th / 19th annual events and he says that last Saturday was the 18th so it will be two more years until the 20th which means you have PLENTY of time to make your plans, schedule your time off, practice your LD riding skills, etc. :-P

Back