• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Iron Butt Rally starts next week

Glad to hear the rider is ok! sorry to hear about a bike being demolished :tears:

The 2009 IBR is on the books. There were no surprises. BMW riders took 5 of the top 10 places [including 1st and second] though BMWs only accounted for 35% of the entries this year.

Unfortunately, Davo Jones, an Australian rider on a Connie, hit a deer on his way to the final checkpoint. He suffered serious head injuries and did not survive. From the farriders.com forum:

"It is with the heaviest heart and with many tears in my eyes as I type this from Davo's computer, but we just received the phone call that no one wants to receive. The nurse just called to inform us that Davo has just passed away. As I sit here at his desk, I look around and I see items and photo's that Davo treasured. There are photo's of him and Wil together, photo's of the kids, and his "GO FAR" number plate surrounded by his Iron Butt Association plate cover and his numerous IBA certificates that demonstrate his love and passion for distance riding.

"Throughout today, I have fielded many, many phone calls from people from both here in Australia and overseas all relating small stories of how Davo enthused, motivated and/or encouraged them beyond what they thought they were capable of. And this typifies the type of guy he was. He was always so energetic and full of life. It is a crying shame to see it cut short - although if Davo had a choice, we all know he wouldn't have it any other way. He was living life to full and doing what he enjoyed. While we all are going to deal with this in different ways, Davo would always want us to adopt his attitude and look on the bright side. He would want us to remember the fun times and fond memories that each of us have with him.

"On behalf of everyone sitting here in the room with me as I type this, a massive thank you for the support that you guys have out poured so far. It is very much appreciated. I will come back on here when we have more news about the arrangements that I am sure a lot of people will want info on."

It really puts a damper on the whole thing. The strange thing is that, apparently, his helmet was strapped to the back of his bike when he was found. And he was an ATGATT guy. Very strange and very sad.

Another note on this IBR. It appears that Jim Owens, who won it, also rode the most miles. That is not usually the case, IIRC.

Unfortunately, Davo Jones, an Australian rider on a Connie, hit a deer on his way to the final checkpoint. He suffered serious head injuries and did not survive.

It really puts a damper on the whole thing. The strange thing is that, apparently, his helmet was strapped to the back of his bike when he was found. And he was an ATGATT guy. Very strange and very sad.

Very sad. RIP Davo.
I didnt know Davo personally, but he was a regular over on Motorcycle Tourers Forum website, had been following his plans and prep for the IBR going back quite awhile.
That he apparently wasnt wearing a helmet is a mystery indeed.

As an aside, the deer population nationwide has absolutley gotten out of hand, maybe its time to allow year round hunting till theyre culled a bit.
:biggun: Rant off, going for a ride.

Very sad. RIP Davo.
I didnt know Davo personally, but he was a regular over on Motorcycle Tourers Forum website, had been following his plans and prep for the IBR going back quite awhile.
That he apparently wasnt wearing a helmet is a mystery indeed.

As an aside, the deer population nationwide has absolutley gotten out of hand, maybe its time to allow year round hunting till theyre culled a bit.
:biggun: Rant off, going for a ride.

I second the 'year round hunting' of rats on stilts, until they are driven into the woods at least.

I rode in the Texas Two Step Rally a few years ago. One of the potential routes would have had me going from Abilene to San Angelo, and from San Angelo to Llano, at night. I avoided that route due to the deer infestation in those areas. The riders that chose that route reported that it was like an obstacle course trying to miss all the deer.

I had an elk cow and her calf run out in front of me in southwest Texas a few year ago. The calf was bigger than most whitetail deer. A collision with an elk would not be a good thing.

Interesting that with minimum points needed to be considered a finisher this year meant that there were 31 riders who DNF. Some quit for various reasons and most did not have the minimum points .

Interesting that with minimum points needed to be considered a finisher this year meant that there were 31 riders who DNF. Some quit for various reasons and most did not have the minimum points .

...and some crashed and some suffered mechanical failures.

12,706 miles!!!:eek2: Congrats Jim Owen, what a ride!!:clap::rider:

I'm very sorry about Davo Jones, that's terrible news. Why on earth was he not wearing his helmet??? I guess we'll never know.

12,706 miles!!!:eek2: Congrats Jim Owen, what a ride!!:clap::rider:

I'm very sorry about Davo Jones, that's terrible news. Why on earth was he not wearing his helmet??? I guess we'll never know.

In this year's IBR, the winner did cover the most miles but that isn't always the case. There's far more to the IBR than racking up miles. Several riders back in the pack accumulated nearly as many miles but far fewer points. The formula and accomplishments necessary to win are complex and many.

George Barnes who is a past winner racked up the miles butt not the points.
So yes it is more then just piling the miles on.

Thanks for the positive comments guys!

This was a fun ride, and while I don't have my ride report ready yet, I am working on one and will get it posted in the next few days. Unfortunately, I rode the miles, but lost the points for my last rest bonus at the scoring table and didn't have enough points after that loss to officially be classified as a finisher. Pretty heart breaking, but it adds to the motivation to do better the next time.

Thanks for the positive comments guys!

This was a fun ride, and while I don't have my ride report ready yet, I am working on one and will get it posted in the next few days. Unfortunately, I rode the miles, but lost the points for my last rest bonus at the scoring table and didn't have enough points after that loss to officially be classified as a finisher. Pretty heart breaking, but it adds to the motivation to do better the next time.
:rider: A very enthusiastic pat on the back goes to you my friend!!!:clap::clap::clap: I only wish I had the means to try it! If you're ever out this way lunch is on me!:sun:

Back