• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

V-Strom

Kidder

Reaction score
Anyone out there in TWT have a V-Strom? I've put my 2000 SV up for sale (see For Sale Topic) and am looking to get a 03 V-Strom.

I wanted something that's more sport-touring oriented but that still has alot of torque (see V-twin). It's a distant cousin to the SV so I'm still part of the SV cult! :twisted:

Howdy,

:tab Are you looking at the big V-Strom or the new V-Strom 650? I have tried to swing a leg over the bigger version. I've got a 34" inseam and it was still quite a stretch. Once on the bike though it was not bad. I think the new 650 could be a really awesome bike! However, for really serious touring stuff, the big one might be nicer, especially when loaded to the hilt with luggage.

Adios,

V-Strom 1k

I've got my eye on a 03 V-Strom 1000. I wanted something a little bigger. Eventually, I'm going to get the Givi hard bags because I've heard the stock Suzuki bags aren't as rugged or as spacious.

My buddy had an '02 and I spent some time on it. Pretty nice bike but a little tall for me with my 34" inseam. Dynamics were great though. Good handling, torquey engine. I have a really long back and the riding position was a bit too upright for me. I have a tendency to slouch and the reach to the bars on my interceptor stretches me out enough to prevent me from doing so. Not so on the Strom. That's just a personal problem though. :-)

From what I recall, the thing had gobs of power and was pretty smooth as well without much buzziness. At least not that I recall. Suspension worked well and soaked up imperfections without transmitting alot to the rider. He rode it from Dallas to Hot Springs and had nothing but good things to say about it on that trip. I remember being a bit jealous since, at the time, the Strom was still new and noone had seen one. He was getting all the attention everywhere we went and me and my poor little interceptor were all but invisible. <sniff> <sniff>

He replaced it with an FJ1300 which was replaced a couple of months later by an ST1300. He goes through bikes like I go through shirts so the fact the he didn't keep the Strom very long is not an indicator of his feelings about the bike. :-)

FJ vs Honda

elliot_p,

Wow, I haven't heard of one trading a FJR for a ST. Usually, it's the other way around. Why did he sell his FJR and get a ST? Every comparo I've read has had the Yamaha on top. Handling, motor, etc.

Re: FJR vs Honda

They are totally different bikes. Many have ridden both and bought the ST. The ST is smoother, has more wind protection, longer range, seemingly better quality but that is a long term thing yet to be proven. It actually has more torque at low RPMs too.

Kidder said:
elliot_p,

Wow, I haven't heard of one trading a FJR for a ST. Usually, it's the other way around. Why did he sell his FJR and get a ST? Every comparo I've read has had the Yamaha on top. Handling, motor, etc.

Hey Kidder,

:tab One of our users here has a V-strom. I believe it is "Strom Trooper". He lives in Houston. Like most of us, I am sure he'd be glad to talk all about his bike, hehe.

Adios,

Re: FJ vs Honda

Kidder said:
elliot_p,

Hmmm... well, like I said, this guy goes through bikes with startling regularity. I think the FJR to ST move was just one of convenience/opportunity. He had owned the FJR for a couple of months when one of the guys in the TSBA got fed up with his Beemer and started looking for a used FJR. I happened to mention this to my buddy and the the next thing I know, they had contacted each other and made a deal. Kind of a funny point about it. When the TSBA guy went to the look at the FJR, they got to talking and it turns out that he already owns my friends (the FJR owner) old Ducati 900SS which he had traded in several years ago. So now this guy has two ex-bikes from this one friend of mine. How weird is that?

Anyway, I think he likes the ST better. A bit more comfortable and better wind protection he says. The only downside, I think has been the heat from the ST which is apparently worse than the FJR.

I've ridden them both and if I only had one bike, it would be the FJR. If, however I could afford two bikes, I'd probably go with an ST and something really sporty like an R1/6 or a fireblade or something. Since he has 3 other bikes I think he was looking for maximum comfort in a still somewhat sporty package to do sport touring on.

I saw your post on the TSBA BBS and had planned on replying and then this afternoon I see you here and on the StromTrooper Forum. I'll give a little input and hopefully add to Elliot's observations, which are good.

First and foremost, I love it. The V-Strom has all day comfort and is easy to ride. I think it handles great and I actually feel more confident on it than on my SVS that I sold to get the Strom. I think this is more to do with my increase in ability than the bike but I had done no suspension mods to the SVS and I think the softness of the front end started to show as my skills grew. Don't let the Strom's size fool you, it is very light and turns in very easily. I have a friend with a BMW GS and his bike rides like a tank compared to the Strom. His observation at first was that the bike was unstable but realized that it just turns in so easily that he was turning in too early. Another friend actually rode the Strom faster than his own bike when he got a test ride. He is no slouch on his GPZ and was amazed at the fact he was riding faster on my bike. He commented at how easily it handles, comfort and the fact he didn't realize how fast he was going until I said something. I have yet to touch a peg down on the Strom but have read a couple magazine articles, which said that the tires have grip all the way to that point and more. At this point the bike's capabilities exceed my skills. I can't comment much on high-speed stability because I don't ride that fast but occasional bursts over the century mark are comfortable and exciting. Gas mileage for me is not the norm apparently and is in the 40 mpg range not the mid to high 40's I've read about on the Strom Trooper Forum. I guess I ride a little more aggressive than I thought. But regardless, I get at minimum 200 miles a tank and have been 240+ miles on a tank other times when riding conservatively. I have no complaints with the stock seat and have recently put in numerous 400+ mile days. I have added the GIVI top case and side cases and they are enormous. My wife has ridden a couple hundred miles pillion at times and has had no complaints. She absolutely loves the top case and the security it provides her. Nighttime visibility from the headlights is great and a friend commented he thinks they light the rode better than his car.

Now my personal complaints. The stock windscreen SUCKS. I tried a standard Cee Baileys screen and it was an improvement but still sucked. The Cee Baileys needed to be another 4" taller to improve airflow. Currently a taller screen is available but at the time I got mine they weren't in production. So I cut the stock screen down, it couldn't get any worse, and the problem went away. I have the "chudder" that many complain about but it has had no adverse effects to the bike so far and is more an annoyance than anything else. I hear this has been fixed on the ’03 and up Stroms. The other little niggle I have is with the brakes. The brakes on the SVS were remarkable compared to the Strom. The brakes just aren’t powerful enough for my liking. They require what I consider to be a lot of effort. So my next improvement is to replace the stock brake lines. I am sure this will improve braking greatly.

Sorry about the running off at the keyboard but hopefully this is some help.

THANKS!

Strom Trooper,

That's exactly the kind of response I was looking for. You having an SV to boot is even better. I can't wait to give an extended ride report when I get mine. I've heard the windscreen is the major problem with the bike. I've been researching it. I may look into the 04 windscreen, which is adjustable, or the Zero Gravity double bubble or sport touring screens.

As far as the brakes, I'll probably put braided lines up front. I'm very picky when it comes to front brake feedback. I raced a few years in the CMRA and our Gixxer had killer brakes. When I got my SV, which has good brakes anyway, I put braided lines on it. They made a huge difference. And, when I swapped the stockers out for the DP HH+ pads, that nailed the deal. My SV with Goodridge Kevlar lines and the DP pads will stop RIGHT NOW.

I digress. Thanks again for the response.

If you plan on asphalt, go with the Strom, but.... if you plan on asphalt and this, a GS is hard to beat.

935089-S.jpg

I forgot to mention that my buddy had replaced the stock windscreen with the Givi touring model and he said that it emliminated all of his complaints as far as airflow goes.

It looked like a **** sail on the front of the bike though! :-)

Strom

Irondawg,

Good points. My riding will be all on pavement.

elliot_p,

The Givi had been one screen I had thought about getting. Could you ask your friend to post a pic? The Givi pic looks okay to me on their website.

:tab That bike is freaking huge compared to the VFR behind it!! :lol: With the chin fairing, it looks like some kind of earth mover ;-) Sure would like to ride one though to compare it to my experience on Irondawg's BMZilla. The Zilla monster is huge but its' agility is amazing. You can haul booty and not even realize you are doing it :twisted: If money were no object... :roll:

Adios,

LOL Scott. Well, I think some of that size difference is illusory due to perpective in the picture but it IS indeed quite a bit larger than the Viffer. Funny thing is, with the exception of the height, you don't really feel the size of it when riding it. It handles remarkably well and for me, it was every bit at agile as the VFR. That's for ME mind you. Someone else might say I'm crazy but for my level of ability, I could ride the Strom just as fast as I can the VFR.

Back