• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Adventure Riders Association

I have a prior commitment on the 18th, but I will keep an eye on this thread. I am definitely interested in the Houston group.

Live Oak sounds good - how about 11:30 on Sat? I know this interferes with the work day at SHNF, so another option is Tue Feb 21 at 6:30 PM. Please let me know if you are interested in coming to the first get together and if either of these, or neither of these, work for you. PM is fine.

Sounds good...we have a large email group in the DFW area that is fairly active. We were also on meetup.com until they (corporate) starting promoting political demonstrations. As a result we are looking for another forum to schedule our meets & rides. Has anyone started the group in this area?

My bad...just saw all the DFW postings! Have already sent msg to Simmons.

Live Oak sounds good - how about 11:30 on Sat? I know this interferes with the work day at SHNF, so another option is Tue Feb 21 at 6:30 PM. Please let me know if you are interested in coming to the first get together and if either of these, or neither of these, work for you. PM is fine.

Joe - jdsmetex - will be at the SHNF on Sat and can get ideas from folks there. I have not gotten any commitments for either Sat or Tue above, but if anyone is interested I'm happy to meet either day.

I will be at the Round the Bend Rally and I believe Joe will as well, so we can also talk there. The intent is to get some local rides on the calendar. Thinking some E. TX. routes and maybe some adventure style routes to the Pie Runs.

I'd go to the SHNF trail day but my WR is currently out of commission, and though I have taken the GS on a bit of the single track there it is not the right tool for the job. It is quite a cardio workout though...

How about Wednesday night at Live Oak? Our West/Central Houston Dual/Sport group will be meeting there then.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Can't make it Wed due to other plans. When is the next meeting?

Thinking some E. TX. routes and maybe some adventure style routes to the Pie Runs.

:tab I have loads of routs for the areas West, North and East of Huntsville. There are some really fun roads between here and Crockett and Nacagdoches, especially if you like sand :-P I have a good Davy Crockett NF tour route as well that is fun on the big or small bikes.

I'll continue to run the Mextrek ride each fall and maybe tweek the timing to give some more space between it and roll the bones in 2018 and forward.

Sid and I will be starting up an "Arizona" chapter, with 2 members so far, haha. 2 members including me.

As I get acclimated up here I plan to do a once a year, guided, 4 day ride to the various forests and mountain towns north of Phoenix. Fang is heading out after Big Bend to help me with a scouting trip following some routes and areas covered by the group from TWTEX that came out a few years ago. I'll post these on the forum, but have zero expectations anyone will actually come this far west, haha.

Great ideas here so far. My advice, no matter what you decide to do, is:

1. Make all events, dinners, activities, and rides regular and repeatable.
2. Have someone accountable for #1.
3. Replace anyone that fails at 1 and 2.

I'll post these on the forum, but have zero expectations anyone will actually come this far west, haha.

:tab The riding out there is absolutely awesome! Folks would be missing out on a great opportunity if they don't take you up on this! If you head East out toward Florence and the Gila River, make REAL sure everyone knows not to come on anything bigger than a 650 dual sport like a DR, KLR, XR/L, etc... Even on these bikes, a lot of the riding is very technical and not for inexperienced riders that are likely to be WAY over packed :whatever: V-Stroms, Versys, and the like will be way out of their element!! The bigger bikes like 800/1200GS, Tenere 1200, Tiger 800/1200 would also be EXTREMELY hard to ride there unless the rider is a VERY experienced and skilled rider.

:tab The riding out there is absolutely awesome! Folks would be missing out on a great opportunity if they don't take you up on this!

Being so far from Texas and wanting my friends to come visit was key to our home choice. We bought 2.5 acres inside city limits. I'm remodeling one building into a 6 person guesthouse, and I have my 1960 greyhound set up on site to sleep 4 more. And parking tow rigs isn't a problem. Now, just gotta discover the trails and invite some friends.

Sounds awesome, Peter.
I see that Phoenix is only 12 hour drive from me...hummm...when can we come? ��

Last edited:
Sounds like fun, Peter!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've been there once. Lots of trails there. Check this out. Azoffroading.com. Good info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sid and I will be starting up an "Arizona" chapter, with 2 members so far, haha. 2 members including me.

Shadman, six from us from Texas went to the Desert Daze dual sport ride east of Tucson at the Triangle T Ranch a few years ago. They gave us about 50 tracks of the area, attached. The link in the instruction file may not work.

Oops: The gpx file is just to large to upload. PM me your email & I'll email it to you.

Attachments

• DesestDaze.pdf
    218.9 KB · Views: 297
:tab I have loads of routs for the areas West, North and East of Huntsville. There are some really fun roads between here and Crockett and Nacagdoches, especially if you like sand :-P I have a good Davy Crockett NF tour route as well that is fun on the big or small bikes.

:thumb:

Houston Meeting Info:

In addition to anyone who has a chance to talk with Joe (jdsmetx) this Saturday at the SHNF workday we are going to tag onto the regular meeting of the West/Central Houston Dual/Sport group on Wed March 8th. Details to follow on location and time.

Houston Meeting Info:

In addition to anyone who has a chance to talk with Joe (jdsmetx) this Saturday at the SHNF workday we are going to tag onto the regular meeting of the West/Central Houston Dual/Sport group on Wed March 8th. Details to follow on location and time.

Yes I'll be out at SHNF, Kelly's Pond Trail Head @ 8am Saturday February 18th. Looking forward to meeting and talking to the folks there. If you have time to ride, come on out and to help get trails back open. I know the folks would greatly appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back