• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Caprock Canyon TX State Park Review?

Traxx

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
I am looking at doing a short ride and camp to Caprock Canyon in Sept. Any suggestions?
Will be going 2 up with my Daughter and tent camping. Baby Girl friendly accommodations are a must.
Would it be better to camp at Palo duro Canyon?

Visit Caprock and enjoy the state buffalo herd. Then take the scenic ride east/north (287 I believe?) around to Palo duro to camp. Those feisty buffalo are not penned up and may walk right over your tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0a8f24453c971bb1c69fe6f384244b91.jpg

Looks nice, but when we stop for the day that's it. We may cruse over to Palo duro the next day and spend the night there. I don't want to cause anymore butt hurt than needed. LOL

From ~15 years ago ... all I recall CCSP having was primitive campsites.

All the trails were either hiking or biking, no motorized vehicles.

Then maybe take that scenic ride to Palo Duro and spend the night. I believe Charles Goodnights house was on 287. Then see Caprock the next morning. Caprock is a smaller park and closer to your home. We rode up last spring from south Texas (hence the name) and stayed in plainsview. Great town but there’s a reason it has “plain” in it.

Cool, got ya. I will look into the Goodnights house.
I am just trying to keep the Baby girls interest in motorcycles. If it turns into a death march then I will lose her.

Gotcha. We always need more riders. It’s a pretty ride and Goodnight was the guy who saved those buffalo. (Always a history lesson). Also look up the combine cemetery. It’s not the Cadillac but then again I’m a farmer.
81bb4116d2139bbebb319271dca54594.jpg

The roads around Caprock Canyon are the best west TX has to offer.
Dropping off the High Plains Escarpment into Estelline is pretty nice:rider:

My brother hammock camped at CCSP recently and the buffalo were not a bother. He really enjoyed watching them. YMMV. I grew up in the area and had that place all to myself as the owner was a family friend. Wish he had left it to me instead of the state. The roads on the north side of the park are great.

From ~15 years ago ... all I recall CCSP having was primitive campsites.

All the trails were either hiking or biking, no motorized vehicles.

The primitive sites are at the bottom of the canyon. There are electric and water sites as well as nice shower / restrooms at the top.

Close by if your daughter likes music is the home of Bob Wills
70be85a5042f3071158c29aea7cb36ed.jpg

We just stayed at both Caprock Canyons and Palo Duro for one night each but we were in a motorhome. We really enjoyed both. Caprock is like a mini version of Palo Duro. I suspect your daughter would enjoy Caprock more because of the buffalo.

She is only 11 and loves her some animals. I am also thinking of doing a short camping trip closer to home to see how she likes it first.

The primitive sites are at the bottom of the canyon. There are electric and water sites as well as nice shower / restrooms at the top.

When I was there was with my Dad ... had to be 1998 or 99 ...

We ate lunch ate a dive in Quitaque ... first time to eat a chicken fried pork rib.

There is a great book "Caprock Canyonlands" by a fellow named Dan Flores that is a fascinating look at the area; it has great photos and tons of insight into the Canadian River, and the various canyons in that system. If you're interested in coyotes, he also wrote a book exploring the "world of the coyote". That book is "Coyote America".

Yes My wife and I went to Palo Duro & Cap Rock Canyon last September. We travel by RV now but use park facilities for showers. Last year the flys were bad in both parks. The ranger said it was because of a wet spring in 2017. Although PaloDuro is beautiful I liked Cap Rock for the wildlife. Buffalo are plentiful but be aware they go where they want to. Your daughter will probably like the prairie dogs too.
The town of Quitaque is having their annual State Buffalo Music Festival the 22nd. It was family friendly last year.
One of the coolest things we found in Amarillo was the Jack Sisemore RV Museum. It’s free and one of the most interesting places I’ve visited. Not just RV’s. Lots of motorcycles. There’s a story about everything. Did I mention it’s free.
Safe travels,
Hugh

RV museum? OK, I've got to see that next time I stop over in Amarillo.

She is only 11 and loves her some animals. I am also thinking of doing a short camping trip closer to home to see how she likes it first.

+1 for Glen Rose.
Fossil Rim Wildlife Center should check the box for animals. They're not really 'wild' but are mostly free-range...except the big cats.

Back