• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Help! Axle Block broke! Leaving for Mexico tomorrow!

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
C
I have a 2005 KTM 450 EXC and am located in San Antonio.

Does anyone know if there are any axle blocks from other bikes that will fit and work? I don't care if it's Honda red, Kawi Green or whatever. As long as it fits, works, and I can get it tomorrow.
Here's the story.

Talk about bad timing. Or maybe good timing. Better for this to happen now than deep in the Mexican state of Coahuila I suppose. I'm supposed to leave in the morning and meet my three riding buddies in Presidio, TX tomorrow evening for a multi-day off-road ride covering several hundreds of miles of back country trails, roads and paths.

I was going over my bike before loading it up tonight. Doing a chain adjustment I noticed that the right side axle block had broken in two pieces.

Of course, tomorrow is Monday, so the local KTM and other motorcycle shops are closed. Cycle Gear is open and looks like they might carry a small selection of blocks. Nothing listed specifically for my bike though.

Amazon has axle blocks that I could get by tomorrow, but again, nothing listed specifically for my bike.

Any suggestions to help save my ride?

Last edited:
If it's a clean break splitting across the axle hole, it shouldn't matter.

The block is captured by the swingarm and axle nut so it shouldn't go anywhere.
Once torqued, there is no loading on the block other than clamping forces.
It's function is to set axle depth against the adjuster.

I would probably JB weld it together, go to the local hardware store and get a larger washer to spread the loading over a wider area and go on my trip. Order a replacement when you get back.

if closer, you could scavenge the block off my bike for the trip

Any idea of why it failed?

Last edited:
My 950 axle blocks cracked years ago , I drilled and pressed a roll pin in and loctited everything together 50,000 miles ago also picked up spares cheap when people bought those *** aftermarket Axles .

If it's a clean break splitting across the axle hole, it shouldn't matter.

The block is captured by the swingarm and axle nut so it shouldn't go anywhere.
Once torqued, there is no loading on the block other than clamping forces.
It's function is to set axle depth against the adjuster.

I would probably JB weld it together, go to the local hardware store and get a larger washer to spread the loading over a wider area and go on my trip. Order a replacement when you get back.

if closer, you could scavenge the block off my bike for the trip

Any idea of why it failed?

My 950 axle blocks cracked years ago , I drilled and pressed a roll pin in and loctited everything together 50,000 miles ago also picked up spares cheap when people bought those *** aftermarket Axles .

I was thinking along those same lines late last night and had decided to just use it. I was messing around with the idea of JB Weld or some other sort of epoxy. If I can't find a new one this morning, I'm gonna just roll the dice and use it. Who knows? I may have already been riding it like that anyway since the last time I changed the tire.

Dang I wish I would have seen this yesterday. I would have brought you the ones off my bike. I hope they hold for the ride.

Well, they held up and didn’t give me any problems.
Thanks for the advice and offers of assistance.
New ones should be here tomorrow though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad it worked out.

You have me thinking I should replace mine proactively.

Back