• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2018 IBA Big As Texas party

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Well, things will wrap up this evening with awards and food, and then it's back to the room to pack and sleep. I'm thinking I'll be up around 4 am to load, fuel, and then be on my way.

If I leave at 5 am that should get me home by 9 pm, grab some sleep and then be to work at 6 on Monday morning.

This has been a good couple of days. Learned a lot, and learned that I have a whole lot more to learn.

I did ride the mini rally this morning. We registered at 0630, and then at 0700 we were emailed the Rally Book, GPX, spreadsheet, etc. We then had our rider meeting at 0745, and were turned loose at 0800 with a return time of no later than 1200.

I planned out 5 locations for a little over 600 points, but I wasted too much time making nice-nice with the cops over at the Southfork Ranch where I stopped for my first bonus. I was running too close for comfort so I ditched the last bonus stop and only wound up with 535 points. I arrived at 1137 on a projected time of 1125, and if I had gone to the final stop my initial projected time would have been 1148. Add the additional 12 minutes that was reality and I would have arrived AT 1200 which is cutting it way too close for me. If I had tried for it and arrived at 1201 I would have been a DNF.

My friend John Cooper who happens to be one of the multiple IBR finishers came in with 680 points. Again, I have a lot to learn.

I highly recommend this event, so if you're interested just watch the IBA website next summer and look for the announcement.

:rider:

J3UM6o0h1Quu4hDmxSLUKgnNn9JROa2uUWCLTwCOCqVoO5yiO7MrOHLK1-RVzJKMXKipY_J9A&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

I should be earning another one on the way home tomorrow.

Some craftsman entrepreneur needs to make fancy frames for you. They could get rich off your accomplishments !

Well done, thank you for keeping us mortals in the loop

Some craftsman entrepreneur needs to make fancy frames for you. They could get rich off your accomplishments !

Well done, thank you for keeping us mortals in the loop

You can get custom stuff done from the IBA estore, including laser etched metal certificates.

Good awards ceremony tonight. Here are the mini rally results from this morning.

748 - disqualified
535 - me (I did say that I have a lot to learn)
680 - my friend John Cooper - multiple IBR finisher
691 - a 70+ year old woman who will be riding in next year's Iron Butt Rally
982 - a fellow Walmart trainer. I train managers and he trains truck drivers

The IBA honored several folks this evening. The man who did 40K miles in 40 days, the man who did 45K miles in 45 days, and the man who did all 48 states PLUS Alaska in under 6 days. That last person also did Deadhorse AK to Key West FL in the 3 day time frame. Monster riders.

Riders who have done 10 BBGs back to back. A BBG is 1500+ miles in under 24 hours. Riders who have done 5 Coast to Coast rides back to back. Riders who have done in excess of 50 BBG rides (not back to back), and more. It's incredible what some people are capable of.

One of our members is Paul Tong, a Sgt with the Irving Police Dept. When they announced the amount of time it took for the one rider to go from Deadhorse to Key West, Paul stood up (in uniform) and threatened to arrest the rider. It was hilarious to watch.

Paul and Australian Peter Green were the first MALE two-up riders to finish the IBR in 2017. Not only did they finish, but they finished 4th overall and 1st among the two-up riders. Peter gave a great talk on how they managed to do this with no practice and no training prior to the Rally. Wonderful teamwork.

And now... bedtime. Up at 4 am tomorrow and heading for home. The weather should be good until I get close to home, and even then the rains should be light.

I've got a busy week ahead of me, so please do your best to keep this forum active; I don't want it to die on the vine before it's really been given a chance to prove itself.

The ride to Dallas was 21.5 hours, with about 12 hours of rain. The ride home was 15.5 hours with about 30 minutes of rain in and around Tucson. Just one hour after getting home we were pounded by hail; about dime sized at my house but gold ball sized elsewhere. I was lucky.

Sent from my 9024W using Tapatalk

Back