• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

synthetic oil and water

Reaction score
Yesterday i went for a ride in the hill country, the creeks were higher than expected and crossing 1 of them i drowned my bike. Got the bike on dry land, removed spark plugs and drain the cylinders and the engine restarted.

I check the oil view port and sure enough the oil was milky. The bike is a 2011 1200 GS and i use full synthetic oil, i didn't have much choice than running the engine (low rpm) to the nearest town and look for oil. When i stopped at a local autozone, the milky look of the engine oil has significantly reduced, i decided to proceed home, about 50 mi into the return trip, i stopped for oil inspection and there was no sign of water in the oil.

Is it normal for water not to mix with synthetic oil and simply evaporate?

My theory is your filter caught the water/sludge. I would recommend changing the oil and filter, then running one of those oil flush treatments and changing it again to make sure it’s clean in there.

But I’m no expert

My theory is your filter caught the water/sludge. I would recommend changing the oil and filter, then running one of those oil flush treatments and changing it again to make sure it’s clean in there.

But I’m no expert
^
Change oil/filter before you start it again. See and feel what the used oil is like when you change it, inspect the filter as well. Cut it open, remove the filter from the housing and take a look. Good time/method to check for any metal shavings as well.
Ride maybe 25-50 miles to let it heat up and circulate, then change oil/filter again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A beemer ain’t cheap, oil change is. Run it 30 miles and do it again.

Just my opinion

Human race correct, boiled out the water. Would sure watch it and feed it with some gentle heat cycles and clean oil changes.

Replaced mine this weekend on 8k miles . Didn't look very dirty in the sightglass but was pretty black in the pan.

Last edited:
Back