• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

right blinker won't turn off...

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
My 2010 Versys developed an odd problem on my last ride. Part way through the ride, I noticed my turn signals had stopped working. OK, no problem; hand-signals are fine. Then at lunch, I checked the fuse - yep, burned out. Replaced it, and the right turn signal came on solid - not blinking. Left didn't work and could not turn the right one off. So, I thought I'd just pull the fuse and ride home with no blinkers - BUT THE RIGHT ONE STAYED ON.

If I turn on the hazard lights, all four indicators turn on solid - no flash. Right signals won't turn off, lefts never come on.

So, what's happening? How's any of that work without a fuse? Do I have a short in a wiring harness somewhere? The turn signal relay is a two-connector unit, so I can't see how it would short internally and leave the right side on. Or, might there be a short in the left switch cluster?

I am thinking short. Finding it could be a challenge though.

During one of my trips on my GS, I had a blinker issue. I did not realize it when I remounted my GPS RAM mount to the handle bar, but I got the wire inside the mount U-bolt, so it got pinched when I tightened the mount bolts. A few days into the ride after a particular nasty washboard road, my right blinker came on and I could NOT make it go out. I started looking at the wire harness on the bar from the signal switch housing and realized what I had done. I removed the mount and got the wire clear, it worked perfect after that. I think it was pinching so hard it cut through the wire insulation and was causing a short.

Trace the right blinker wires, they are getting power from somewhere, and if both the front and rear rights are on, then it is before their split.

I guess my approach would depend on what the system looks like and how the front and rears are linked.

Pull the relay, test it and confirm or rule out. Then hit the handlebar switch ad be sure it has no issues. From there, well follow the map. Between continuity and resistance you'll find it, it'll just be a bit tedious.

^ Exactly right. "But honey, I need a new bike because my current one is broken".

I would suspect Mr. Turn Signal Switch. The relay can fail, but if the signal switch is off the lights should be off. If the switch is grounding the bulb it might light up nicely. There are usually some fiddly bits in those switches, I love taking them apart.

Mr. Switch was fine. Mr. Pinched Wire was not. Unfortunately, the fix was so cheap, I can no longer use this a justification for needing to buy that 1090R...

Mr. Pinched Wire is a pookie butt. Maybe you should get that 1090R...as a preventative measure to avoid being without a bike since Mr. Pinched Wire is not our friend.

Now, that's the smartest thing I've heard all day!

It looks like your back on the road...

:clap:

20140117_113730-M.jpg

Back