Notices

Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #41
Bob Dahringer
Forum Supporter

Re: Iron Butt Rally starts next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheGravy View Post
Unfortunately, Davo Jones, an Australian rider on a Connie, hit a deer on his way to the final checkpoint. He suffered serious head injuries and did not survive.

It really puts a damper on the whole thing. The strange thing is that, apparently, his helmet was strapped to the back of his bike when he was found. And he was an ATGATT guy. Very strange and very sad.
Very sad. RIP Davo.
I didnt know Davo personally, but he was a regular over on Motorcycle Tourers Forum website, had been following his plans and prep for the IBR going back quite awhile.
That he apparently wasnt wearing a helmet is a mystery indeed.

As an aside, the deer population nationwide has absolutley gotten out of hand, maybe its time to allow year round hunting till theyre culled a bit.
Rant off, going for a ride.
IBA #11610, AMA#485692

2013 Moto-Guzzi Stelvio NTX. "Sophia", named after another Italian beauty with big jugs.
Bob Dahringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #42
ben1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad3766 View Post
Very sad. RIP Davo.
I didnt know Davo personally, but he was a regular over on Motorcycle Tourers Forum website, had been following his plans and prep for the IBR going back quite awhile.
That he apparently wasnt wearing a helmet is a mystery indeed.

As an aside, the deer population nationwide has absolutley gotten out of hand, maybe its time to allow year round hunting till theyre culled a bit.
Rant off, going for a ride.
I second the 'year round hunting' of rats on stilts, until they are driven into the woods at least.
ben1364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #43
PassTheGravy

I rode in the Texas Two Step Rally a few years ago. One of the potential routes would have had me going from Abilene to San Angelo, and from San Angelo to Llano, at night. I avoided that route due to the deer infestation in those areas. The riders that chose that route reported that it was like an obstacle course trying to miss all the deer.

I had an elk cow and her calf run out in front of me in southwest Texas a few year ago. The calf was bigger than most whitetail deer. A collision with an elk would not be a good thing.
PassTheGravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #44
lddave

Interesting that with minimum points needed to be considered a finisher this year meant that there were 31 riders who DNF. Some quit for various reasons and most did not have the minimum points .
STOC 166
lddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #45
ben1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by lddave View Post
Interesting that with minimum points needed to be considered a finisher this year meant that there were 31 riders who DNF. Some quit for various reasons and most did not have the minimum points .
...and some crashed and some suffered mechanical failures.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #46
Rman of 237

12,706 miles!!! Congrats Jim Owen, what a ride!!

I'm very sorry about Davo Jones, that's terrible news. Why on earth was he not wearing his helmet??? I guess we'll never know.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #47
ben1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman of 237 View Post
12,706 miles!!! Congrats Jim Owen, what a ride!!

I'm very sorry about Davo Jones, that's terrible news. Why on earth was he not wearing his helmet??? I guess we'll never know.
In this year's IBR, the winner did cover the most miles but that isn't always the case. There's far more to the IBR than racking up miles. Several riders back in the pack accumulated nearly as many miles but far fewer points. The formula and accomplishments necessary to win are complex and many.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #48
lddave

George Barnes who is a past winner racked up the miles butt not the points.
So yes it is more then just piling the miles on.
STOC 166
lddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #49
Rocket_Cowboy
LDRider

Thanks for the positive comments guys!

This was a fun ride, and while I don't have my ride report ready yet, I am working on one and will get it posted in the next few days. Unfortunately, I rode the miles, but lost the points for my last rest bonus at the scoring table and didn't have enough points after that loss to officially be classified as a finisher. Pretty heart breaking, but it adds to the motivation to do better the next time.
Ride Blog
Rocket_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #50
Rman of 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Cowboy View Post

This was a fun ride, and while I don't have my ride report ready yet, I am working on one and will get it posted in the next few days. Unfortunately, I rode the miles, but lost the points for my last rest bonus at the scoring table and didn't have enough points after that loss to officially be classified as a finisher. Pretty heart breaking, but it adds to the motivation to do better the next time.
A very enthusiastic pat on the back goes to you my friend!!! I only wish I had the means to try it! If you're ever out this way lunch is on me!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #51
klb1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Cowboy View Post

I'm looking forward to reading about your ride. Congrats on bringing it home safe.

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300
klb1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #52
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Charlie, take solace in the fact that you accomplished more than 99.9% of the rest of us could do.

* Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012 * 2002 Goldwing

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
Texas T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #53
The Bruce

Looking forward to your report.
The Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #54
PassTheGravy

Charlie, I rode in the Texas Two Step Rally a few years ago and got DQ'd over a rest bonus technicality. That rally was a gnat on an elephant's rear end compared to the IBR, but I have had a tiny taste of the type of disappointment you had, and it stinks.

Bottom line is that you rode the ride, crossed the finish line in time, and you know you did it, and nothing can ever take that away from you. Congrats on doing something that none of us could ever do. I look forward to your ride report.
PassTheGravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #55
Rocket_Cowboy
LDRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheGravy View Post
Charlie, I rode in the Texas Two Step Rally a few years ago and got DQ'd over a rest bonus technicality. That rally was a gnat on an elephant's rear end compared to the IBR, but I have had a tiny taste of the type of disappointment you had, and it stinks.

Bottom line is that you rode the ride, crossed the finish line in time, and you know you did it, and nothing can ever take that away from you. Congrats on doing something that none of us could ever do. I look forward to your ride report.
You and I both were in the Texas two Step. Winston Oxley from the TTS was also in the IBR, and Alan Dye met us out at the Orange County checkpoint. Bo was riding in the rally with me. In a lot of ways, this was a big extended Texas Two Step ... which coincidently is the rally that got me hooked into all this IBR stuff.
Ride Blog
Rocket_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #56
Gilk51
Pie Man v2.0 (retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas T View Post
Charlie, take solace in the fact that you accomplished more than 99.9% of the rest of us could do.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
Looking forward to your report.
+1 again

Congrats on riding and finishing in one piece!
Gilk51 is offline   Reply With Quote