TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Gone But Not Forgotten!

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2018, 10:35 AM   #21
Gravel Guy

Re: We lost Daytrader....

A story about John and I:

Late in the winter of 2012, I got a text from John Sherman with a picture of a thermometer that showed 42 degrees with a note that said "Hey, get a load of the temp in my bedroom." So I called him and asked him what the **** was going on!! John and I were "motorcycle buddies", met for lunch, supper occasionally and talked some but were not really that close.....yet. He had Christmas dinner at our house a couple of days before and suffered a very cold ride back home to his friends house in Lockhart, Texas where he was staying. I knew that he had been dating a cop, and that she had treated him very poorly and thrown him out of their shared apartment a few weeks prior to the holidays. I also knew that he had really cared for that girl; and was hurting inside due to the breakup. I also knew that he had made BIG money up north working on a fancy house in Maine or somewhere there and was not able to find the success and project manager position in Texas that he had done before; and was thus working at a cabinet shop. So he admitted to me that his friend in Lockhart heated only a portion of the house and his room and crapper were unheated and it was starting to get to him....a whole bunch of bad things were all piling up at once. My friend the big tough Marine was in a funk. I didn't know how badly, but prayed on it quickly and told my wife we needed to take this guy in and help him out......and she agreed! We had a 31' travel trailer parked under an RV port that was heated and nice and comfortable and I offered it to John on a couple of conditions: 1) That he NOT smoke in it. and 2) That we would keep him fed and housed and gassed up and help him look for work or anything he needed for a period of two months. I spoke seriously with him and told him that I was sure he had other friends to lean on, but I would help him until the end of February, 2013. So began the short stint with John living with my wife and I, my high school daughter and my elementary school age son. We had a bunch of beers together during that period, and many campfires (We live back in the woods, nice and private.) and became better friends for sure.....we spoke about his life growing up in Chi-town, his family still there, his love of Blackhawk hockey and his days as a project manager and stories about huge budgets and how his plan was to "get **** done" on the big projects. He was quite a character.....when we got a little drunk we would talk about deeper things and philosophy and the one dark thing that happened in Beirut in the early 80's that affected him the rest of his life. I cannot share that story here; if you know him you know the story.
John had a real sense of economy; he was a cheap roomate! He ate a lot of grits, and helped take care of our chickens and turned the compost pile. He taught me what a french press was and how to use it.....we both love coffee! He never once did anything untoward; was a real gentlemen with me and my family and I think that God put me in care of him for those two months on purpose. I took him to our men's breakfast at church a few times; and these things effected his spirit and allowed him to rest. His Father passed away in early February; and his next purpose became clear---to head north and help his mother and family deal with their collective family grief. He left in early March, and I heard from him sporadically for the next few years until he moved back to Austin......he had landed another big construction up north and made good money and it was good to have him closer again. Pictures of his dog, Gussy and stories about him trying to find the perfect girl filled recent communications......and now he is gone too soon. I loved him and I miss him, his directness and sense of humor and smartass wit and love of Volvo wagons....(we both had one)..so goodbye John until we meet again and I hope the riding is good up there..........

Are you doing what you are doing in the name of love?

Mark
guido calculo
NEast of Weird, Texas
Gravel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #22
Windmill

Mark when John would ride by the house on that Triumph 1050 I loved the sound of that triple. I knew I wanted one.
God's word says what you have done for the least of these my brethren you have also done unto me. You and John helped each other and that pleases the Father.
A new commandment I give unto you. That we love one another; as I have loved you that you also love one another. By this other people shall know you are my disciples, if you love one another. John 13:34-35 in red.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #23
FCBH
Forum Supporter

I am saddened to have learned the recent passing of John.

I remember many enjoyable memories talking about such issues as politics during the weekly Ken's Trailer coffee klatsch. I recall with great detail about his story regarding the events he experienced while serving with the Unites States Marines in Beirut during the fateful day October 23, 1983. It was then than an Islamic extremist group drove explosive laden trucks into the buildings that housed the multinational forces in Lebanon. There were about 220 brave Marines who lost their life that day.

Rest in peace.

Fred
Old 03-25-2018, 08:14 PM   #24
wanabeguru

condolences............
Old 03-25-2018, 11:09 PM   #25
mikes old virago

The good die too young. RIP.
mikes old virago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:17 PM   #26
Gravel Guy

Remembered him saying "It is what it is!".....in that big booming voice of his.....

Are you doing what you are doing in the name of love?

Mark
guido calculo
NEast of Weird, Texas
Gravel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #27
greeneggs&ham
Forum Supporter

Yes, Daytrader was a unique person. I missed his presence at the Thursday lunches because he was always good for some interesting conversation.

I am glad to have spent the time I had with him.

Mark, you are a good man. I am sure he felt the same way about the time he spent with you. Remember the good times.

Sam

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. - Hilary Cooper
greeneggs&ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:23 PM   #28
Abby

Rest easy sir!

You can hate war, but love the American warrior.
Lt. General Hal Moore

2013 H-D Road Glide FLTRU
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #29
julimike54

My condolences to all.................
Old 06-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #30
RacerJohn

Well, I have not been on TWT much and I just learned today that John passed away. I am in shock. This is sobering news. He and I are born the same year: 61. He had car insurance with my Allstate agency. His payments were behind and he was not answering any calls. I was going to try to contact him here on TWT, but could not remember the name he used. So, I sent a text to Rusty asking him what Johns TWT name was and Rusty gave me the sad news.

I did not know John as well as many of you did. I loved all your stories, esp Gravel Guy’s.

I met John when he was selling his KLR on TWT. We spoke on the phone about the bike, it was exactly what I wanted. I felt total trust in John and I agreed to buy the bike seeing only pics. So, I had my wife drive me to his house in S Austin with my helmet. She dropped me off before I met John or saw the bike in person. I then met John, saw the bike, bought it and rode it home.

I hope this is not too personal to share: I met the woman he was living with at the time and IIRC she owned the home. He met her when he sat next to her on a flight. Well they hit it off and he moved in with her. He bought her a smaller BMW and was teaching her how to ride. She was head of the physics Dept at Texas State Univ. I don’t know how long that relationship lasted but it did come to an end.

The KLR had several stickers John Put on it. I never removed any of them; they are still there. When I learned that John returned from Maine, I contacted him and told him he could borrow the KLR if he wanted it and take it for a day - or for a week! I always thought that would be so much fun for him to ride his old bike. But, he never did. Now, I really wish he had.