• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2013 Texas Adventure Ride & Challenge: April 11-14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
The 7th annual Texas Adventure Ride (TAR) and Challenge (TAC) is April 11-14, 2013 in Junction, TX.

TAR (Texas Adventure Ride) is an organized, 4 day, dual sport adventure rally occurring each April in Junction, TX offering the dual sport adventure community an annual opportunity to enjoy riding the hill country. All riders are invited to attend.

If this is your first time to attend TAR, this page has information about the logistics of this rally you should find useful.

Registration is open. Download the registration form here.

The ride headquarters for this year's TAR is:
Best Western Hotel
244 Dos Rios Drive
Junction, TX 76849
325-446-3700

The Best Western is sponsoring TAR again for 2013. Rooms are $70 for a single or double and include breakfast. The Best Western will also be hosting our Thursday night meet-and-greet with free beer.

In the event that the Best Western gets sold out there is a Rodeway Inn next door. Their rooms are a little less expensive than the Best Western but doesn't include breakfast. If you stay at the Rodeway you can eat breakfast at the Best Western for a few dollars.

This year's banquet is at the Coke Stevenson Community Center. Jennifer from Isaak's Restaurant is catering this year's banquet again. The banquet begins Saturday evening, 6 p.m.

Texas Adventure Challenge

I'm please to announce the 2nd annual Texas Adventure Challenge will be held in conjunction with TAR again this year. Last year's challenge event was well attended so I've brought it back again this year. The Texas Adventure Challenge is a 2 day adventure tour of the Texas hill country. It will include as much dirt as possible and will challenge you to complete the entire course in the available time.

Note that the Texas Adventure Challenge and the Texas Adventure Ride are not the same event. They are different events occurring on the same weekend. Riders will participate in one or the other, not both.

Texas Adventure Challenge, April 11-14, 2013
• Two stage adventure rally in the Texas Hill Country
• 500 miles of dirt and pavement
• Suitable for any street legal dual sport or adventure bike
• Begins in Junction, Texas on Thursday night
• Ends in Junction, Texas on Saturday night
• Overnight in Kerrville on Friday night
• Supported: luggage transported to your hotel each day
• Rescue truck on standby
• Saturday night banquet and awards ceremony
• Finisher's Award for all who complete both days in the available time

Registration is open. Download the registration form here.

TAC ride headquarters in Junction is the Best Western. The challenge begins in Junction on Thursday evening, 6 p.m. with rider check-in in the lobby of the Best Western. Riders will overnight Thursday and Saturday in Junction, so make your motel reservations.

On Friday night challenge riders will be overnighting in Kerrville, TX. Note that this is a location change from last year. The challenge is running a different course this year, hence the change to Kerrville for our Friday night stop.

The ride headquarters in Kerrville is:

Best Western Sunday House
2124 Sidney Baker Street
Kerrville, TX
830-896-1313
Kelli Dunbar, Manager

I have reserved 20 rooms. Each room costs $94.99 and can hold 1-4 people. Breakfast is included (beverages are seperate). Make sure you tell them you are with the motorcycle group so you get the discount rate. If the Best Western is full, there are multiple other properties nearby.

Make your reservations now. April is the busiest month of the year in the hill country and the properties in Kerrville sell out every April weekend. Even if you aren't sure if you will be able to attend make your reservation now - you can always cancel it if needed.

For those trailering to Junction, you can leave your truck/trailer in the parking lot of the Best Western.

Uncle is in charge of the rescue trailer. He will be based in Junction, on standby for anyone's bike that needs to be transported to either Junction or Kerrville. Teams will be given Uncle's cell number at rider check-in so they can call him if needed.

Riders can put their MARKED luggage in the luggage trailer on Thursday evening or Friday morning for transport to Kerrville. And then again on Friday evening or Saturday morning for transport from Kerrville back to Junction. Please clearly mark your name on your luggage.

John Thompson is in charge of the Sweep Team. John will be leading the sweep team both days to ensure no one gets left stranded on the course.

Start and end times will be provided at rider check-in. The routes in both gps route and track format will be emailed to all registered riders who provide an email address.

Last edited:
I missed 2012 due to a job change, should be there in 2013 for all four day's. I remember 2008 when I ran out of gas four miles outside of town :rider: I was "That Guy" :whatever:

Questions...

Is it possible to come in late Thu (before midnight) and finalize check-in on Friday morning early? I may work Thursday to save a precious vacation day!
Thanks,
Brad

Questions...

Is it possible to come in late Thu (before midnight) and finalize check-in on Friday morning early? I may work Thursday to save a precious vacation day!
Thanks,
Brad

Yes, it is. Rider check-in will be available on Friday morning before the rider meeting.

Thanks Richard, I have a similar problem with work and its nice to know we can take care of sign up on Friday morning. Hmmmmm, I'm going to have to start looking into this, I think I can make it happen.

Registration Complete
Payment Sent
Rooms reserved

Now to decide which bike to ride...DRZ 400 or Wee Strom....Decisions - decisions...:ponder:

Registration Complete
Payment Sent
Rooms reserved

Now to decide which bike to ride...DRZ 400 or Wee Strom....Decisions - decisions...:ponder:

Take the 400, it was fun chasing you for 600 miles last year. Never mind that it killed my little KLX, i got another motor in it now and ready to go. Not doing the challenge this year, just a fun ride with lots of eating and bench racing.

That was fun, Ivan! I chased you too tho!

Anyone have any idea what the longest run between fuel stops on the TAC?

That was fun, Ivan! I chased you too tho!

Anyone have any idea what the longest run between fuel stops on the TAC?

106 miles

106 miles

That's wrong. I had too many threads open and thought you were asking about the Desert Challenge at Round the Bend. I don't know about the TAC.:suicide::suicide:

Anyone from Houston going to this ride? Me and my brothers are going. Taking our DR650s

Paypalled for the TAC; MsBehave and I have had our rooms reserved in Junction and Kerrville for a month or more. Can't say which of the bikes I'll bring - any can do it! but see y'all in the hills!

Anyone from Houston going to this ride? Me and my brothers are going. Taking our DR650s

I know my brother from Houston is going, with his DR650. Another brother of mine from Dallas is going with his DR650, I'll be there with a DR650 or a KTM640, not sure yet. Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Let me be the first to say, I may not make this one, too, **** back... I'm actually thinking ortho doc, anybody have experience w spondylo crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back