• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend 2011 - Feb 24-27, Terlingua

1095579238_MfjYj-M.jpg

Dude, Bob is pulling your leg. He's just back from riding to Oaxaca for a week!

Cool! I really just need to go in a group with some slower bikes that I can leave behind as we run for the border. That's not easy to find when you ride a Scrambler! :-P

Cool! I really just need to go in a group with some slower bikes that I can leave behind as we run for the border. That's not easy to find when you ride a Scrambler! :-P

There's usually always a group wanting to ride out to Peguis. Just remember to bring your passport or passport card, either will work.

Interesing tid-bit about the canyon...rumoured site of a UFO crash:

Coming back into Presidio from Ojinaga in February of this year, the border guy asks me if I had any surgery lately. "What?" I ask, confounded. He then directs me to secondary. There, a pair of them ask me more questions, finally telling me that I set off the radiation detector.

Only later did I remember the UFO legend of Peguis - thinking maybe I got some UFO dust on me :rofl:

Maybe someone in the know can provide more information about what that ride is like, and what the conditions are.

It's a pavement-only ride and the roads are generally well maintained. Hwy 170 from Terlingua to Presidio is one of the top 5 motorcycling roads in Texas. From Presidio follow the signs to international bridge into Mexico. On the Mexican side of the bridge there is a checkpoint. Most times you get waved right through but every so often you will get directed to the side for a cursory search (they are looking for weapons, drugs, etc. - same stuff our customs guys look for when they stop you coming back into the USA). Once through the checkpoint it is a straight shot south through Ojinaga and on to Peguis. Navigationally, it is very easy because you are on the main road and don't have to turn off of it to get to Peguis.

There are no checkpoints between Ojinaga and Peguis. Just ride south till you get to the canyon.

Reverse your course to get back to the USA. After crossing the international bridge into the USA you will likely sit in a short line. Once you get to the head of the line the customs agents will stop you, ask you for your passport, and check your identity on their computer system. Most times they will let you through after inspecting your papers. Sometimes they will want to have a look in your bags (assuming you have a tank bag or other bags on your bike). At this point you will marvel at how easy it was to get into Mexico and how much longer it takes to get back into the USA.

Last edited:

I may be wrong, but if this is Joe that rode with us in Junction this year on the rainy Friday. There will be someone behind him, he has no problem handling his Scrambler. He also let me ride it, cool bike.

I will be there. Fourth year in a row. I would love to see how the Scrambler
does on the River Road in the NP. I will be looking for it.
I will be parking the TT at the free camping area across from the ghost town.
See ya there!

Bob

I may be wrong, but if this is Joe that rode with us in Junction this year on the rainy Friday. There will be someone behind him, he has no problem handling his Scrambler. He also let me ride it, cool bike.

I'm not that Joe. If he comes I'm sure I'll be bringing up the rear. The Scrambler is great fun. I sold my Beemer last month to downsize and I found the Scrambler can do anything I need so far.

With the UFO canyon crash story I'm definitely in! What could go wrong? :eek2:

It's a pavement-only ride and the roads are generally well maintained. Hwy 170 from Terlingua to Presidio is one of the top 5 motorcycling roads in Texas. From Presidio follow the signs to international bridge into Mexico. On the Mexican side of the bridge there is a checkpoint. Most times you get waved right through but every so often you will get directed to the side for a cursory search (they are looking for weapons, drugs, etc. - same stuff our customs guys look for when they stop you coming back into the USA). Once through the checkpoint it is a straight shot south through Ojinaga and on to Peguis. Navigationally, it is very easy because you are on the main road and don't have to turn off of it to get to Peguis.

There are no checkpoints between Ojinaga and Peguis. Just ride south till you get to the canyon.

Reverse your course to get back to the USA. After crossing the international bridge into the USA you will likely sit in a short line. Once you get to the head of the line the customs agents will stop you, ask you for your passport, and check your identity on their computer system. Most times they will let you through after inspecting your papers. Sometimes they will want to have a look in your bags (assuming you have a tank bag or other bags on your bike). At this point you will marvel at how easy it was to get into Mexico and how much longer it takes to get back into the USA.

I'll bring a ramp in case anyone wants to jump the canon!:eek2:
I think JT said he'd give it a try?

Richard - do you have a group rate / reservation at the suggested hotel? A quick search shows no rooms available...

I'm planning on making this trip as well. I had a great time in "Epic" Arkansas and while I've been to Big Bend National Park several times, never on two wheels so it should be an awesome trip. The KLR will be ready!:trust:

Hi, CDC.

No, I don't have a group rate or a block of reserved rooms at the High Sierra. Sorry.

Dwayne,

The El Dorado and the High Sierra are the same property. The name of the motel is the El Dorado and their bar/restaurant is the High Sierra. The El Dorado is the suggested motel simply because of its central location. There are a number of other properties in the area that are both good and popular with riders. The ride guide has a list of all the hotels, motels, cabins, RVs, and camping businesses in the area.

Check is in the mail for Carla Cay and myself. Can't miss this year after missing the last one.
Do we need to bring wood again for the fire at Kathy's place?
Robert

Do we need to bring wood again for the fire at Kathy's place?
Robert

Robert,

Thank you for bringing this up. Yes, Kathy always needs firewood. So, to everyone trailering out there please throw some firewood in your truck or trailer and drop it off at Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe.

I updated the orginial post to add this piece. Thanks again for the reminder.

I'm in, I will be riding from Oklahoma if anyone is interested.

Back