• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert Challenge, & Adventure Challenge: Mar 6-9, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
2014 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert Challenge, & Adventure Challenge: Mar 6-9, 2014

Download the registration form here - Early Registration ends Wednesday, Feb 19th

7th Annual Uncle’s Around the Bend rally

2nd Annual Uncle’s Desert Challenge

Inaugural Uncle’s Adventure Challenge

Dual sport and Street riding in the Big Bend

Terlingua, Texas​

Mark your calendars: Uncle’s annual Around the Bend motorcycle rally, Desert Challenge and the inaugural Adventure Challenge is Mar 6 – 9, 2014 in Terlingua, Texas.

This is the 7th year of Uncle’s rally and, as always, this event is open to everyone. It doesn’t matter if you are a street-only or a dual sport rider, there is plenty of great riding for all.

This is also the second year for Uncle’s Desert Challenge – a one day dual sport challenge that will test man and machine.

Uncle is also pleased to announce the first running of Uncle’s Adventure Challenge – a one day adventure challenge designed for those riding larger adventure touring motorcycles.

What kind of rally is this? It’s a motorcycle rally open to one and all. Street-only, adventure, and dual sport riders are all invited to attend. Come by yourself or bring some friends. Ride when you want and where you want. Have an adventure. Got a few extra days off? Then come on out early. Or stay a few days late. The main point is to have fun.

Street riders Do you ride street only? No problem, Uncle has some great riding for you too. There are some awesome paved roads in the Big Bend area that really shouldn’t be missed. In fact, Hwy 170, aka “River Road” is one of the top 5 motorcycling roads in Texas.

Dual Sport and Adventure Riders Lots of dual sport riders enjoying riding the Big Bend desert. If you’ve always wanted to play in the dirt at Big Bend but just haven’t made it yet, this is a wonderful opportunity to do so. If you want something a little tougher then consider registering for Uncle’s Desert Challenge or Uncle’s Adventure Challenge.

Uncle’s Desert Challenge, Friday, March 7th For any dual sport riders wanting an extra dose of adventure, Uncle’s Desert Challenge may just be the ticket. The Desert Challenge is a one day long-distance dirt ride designed to test your skill and stamina. On Friday morning challenge riders leave at 7 a.m. to ride a specially designed timed loop course that is 195 miles long and consisting of 95% class 1, 2, and 3 roads. The course is long and difficult and will take most or all of the day to complete. Those riders who complete the entire course in the allotted time will receive a finisher’s award.

NOTE: Desert Challenge Riders will need to purchase a pass for Big Bend National Park. The majority of the desert challenge is held in Big Bend National Park and an entry permit is required. I strongly recommend getting your pass before Friday morning.

For more information about the Desert Challenge, click here.

Uncle’s Adventure Challenge, Saturday, March 8th Are you interested in the Desert Challenge but don’t have a dual sport bike and don’t want to attempt it on your big adventure bike? Well, this year Uncle has added the Adventure Challenge just for you. The Adventure Challenge is designed for adventure riders who want an extra challenge with their rally. Uncle’s Adventure Challenge is a one day long-distance mixed dirt/pavement ride designed to test your skill and stamina. On Saturday morning challenge riders leave at 7 a.m. to ride a specially designed timed loop course that is 313 miles in length with a mix of class 1 and 2 dirt roads and generous portions of twisty asphalt. The course is long and difficult and will take most or all of the day to complete. Those riders who complete the entire course in the allotted time will receive a finisher’s award.

NOTE: The Adventure Challenge does not go into Big Bend National Park so no entry permit is required in order to participate in the Adventure Challenge.

For more information about the Adventure Challenge, click here.

SUPERMAN: The desert and adventure challenges are held on different days so that those riders who want to attempt both will be able to do so. All riders who complete both days will receive a special "Superman" award.

Download the registration form here - Early Registration ends Wednesday, Feb 19th

Registration for the rally and challenge events is open.

The El Dorado hotel in Terlingua is closest to all the action. Their phone number is 432-371-2111. Rates are $75 for a single, $85 for a double, and $100 for a king suite (King size bed + one fold out bed). When you call let them know you are with Uncle's group to get the group rate. The Chisos Mining Company motel and the Big Bend Motor Inn are two other good choices if the El Dorado is sold out when you call. For other motel options in the area, see the Big Bend ride guide or Google.

For more information about the rally, please click on this link.

Last edited:
Re: 2014 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert Challenge, & Adventure Challenge: Mar 6-9, 2

Any chance the Desert and Adventure Challenges could be scheduled on different days so you could ride both? This would make the rally more attractive to me.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Re: 2014 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert Challenge, & Adventure Challenge: Mar 6-9, 2

Any chance the Desert and Adventure Challenges could be scheduled on different days so you could ride both? This would make the rally more attractive to me.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Hmmm...that's a really interesting idea. Let me think about the logistics. My biggest concern is challenge riders and support crews missing the Sat banquet due to not getting back from the challenge early enough to attend.

Doing both challenge events would qualify you as a certified He-man. :-P

I was just wondering if I could do the desert challenge first thing in the morning on the KLX450, then do the adventure challenge immediately after on my Versys. I know a few guys did the desert challenge twice last year.

Seems like a bonus challenge - although I know you wouldn't want to push people to do it, as it might lead some people to attempt it that shouldn't and you don't want these things to be treated as a race..

I was just wondering if I could do the desert challenge first thing in the morning on the KLX450, then do the adventure challenge immediately after on my Versys.

I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy but I don't think there are enough daylight hours to do both in one day without riding in the dark.

I know a few guys did the desert challenge twice last year.

Wow! I didn't know anyone did it twice.

I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy but I don't think there are enough daylight hours to do both in one day without riding in the dark.

You may be right - We had 6.5 hours ride time on the challenge last year, but we made lots of stops and kept the speed really sane (no over 45 on dirt, no over 55 on road). It was daylight for probably an hour before we actually set out, and we could probably cut half an hour off just by not stopping except for gas, but we'd have to go significantly faster to cut a lot more than that, and I don't want to feel like I'm racing. That said, we did get blown by by some guys probably doing 70 on the dirt straights.

Wow! I didn't know anyone did it twice.
I don't see it in the ride reports, but it seems like it was mentioned after the ride that three or so guys had actually ridden the loop twice.

Free camping this year?

Free camping this year?

Yes. As in previous years, Gareth Park will be open to us. If that changes I will be sure to update this thread.

How do you manage to schedule this the week BEFORE Spring Break every year???:giveup::confused:

Hmm... All this talk of night riding makes me curious about a night challenge in the future.

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

I know you will be posting details later, but do you have a ball-park of the distance of the desert adventure, and if there is gas available somewhere on the route? Thanks.

Sorry...combined the names of the two rides. Interested in distance of the desert challenge.

The desert challenge is about 200 miles total. You will need a minimum range of 135 miles. There is one gas stop at around 65 miles.

Reservation made at the El Dorado

I should be all warmed up for this after hopefully having run Baja full-length 3 weeks prior

Had the time of my life last year.
Won't be missing this!

Adventure challenge, huh? For us old fat coots on our Tenere's? I'm in!

I'll be shocked if MsBehavin and I are not in attendance...the tough decision is going to be whether to bring the toy hauler and, well, some toys, or to get a room and ride the big bikes out.

:popcorn:

Sounds like the Adventure Challenge for me. Need to find others who are as age challenged as I am. Ohhhhh, that's right, most of us are. Where do all these young guys hang out. ?

Sounds like the Adventure Challenge for me. Need to find others who are as age challenged as I am. Ohhhhh, that's right, most of us are. Where do all these young guys hang out. ?

Well, if you're supposed to hang out around fat people to make yourself feel skinny........

I sure do feel young!

Sounds like the Adventure Challenge for me. Need to find others who are as age challenged as I am. Ohhhhh, that's right, most of us are. Where do all these young guys hang out. ��

I'll hang out with you Lee, I'm still young at heart. You need to roll in the new bike and update your signature. Good choice for you.

_

Planning to participate.

From mobile

Keeping an eye on this one. Is the camping location open to toy haulers? Hookups anywhere near? Don't need them, just nice to have.

Keeping an eye on this one. Is the camping location open to toy haulers? Hookups anywhere near? Don't need them, just nice to have.

I saw 3 or 4 trailers there last time. Didn't see another hookups. You don't need it.

There are no hookups at the free camping area. It's just raw land. Plenty of space for RVs, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back