• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2015 MexTrek, Oct 15 - 18th, Galeana, Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Shaddock
Update, I sent an email to everyone currently registered for the ride. If you are planning to make the ride and did not get an email, please let me know asap.

Mark your calendars and get ready for the amazing, not to be missed, advuenture of a lifetime #4, the 4th Annual 2015 MexTrek Adventure Ride based in Galeana, Mexico.

Online sign up form (super cool) made by PhilipBarret right here:

http://goo.gl/forms/ghmL6pGFBF

Confirmed attendees:

Peter Shaddock
Edgar Vinueza
Dao Hoang
Barry Jackson
Pete Taylor
Darryl Wills
Frank Schaefer
Juan Rementeria
Jeremy Key
Steven Michaelis
Nicholas J Meyer
Greg Chennault
Andre Nieuwenhuis
Ezequiel Martinez
Douglas K. Muxworthy
Mark Winer
Everett Fox
Dave Bell
Thomas Eimermacher
Mike Nelson
Thomas Falduto
JEFF NOUIS
Dale Hubregs
James Severe

Official Dates: Thursday, Oct 15 - Sunday, Oct 18, 2015

Galeana, Nuevo Leon, Mexico

(the Sierra Leon region)

The Sierra Leon region (named by intrepid explorer Milton Otto) is a fantastic dual sport playground containing twisty mountain roads, a seemingly uncountable number of class 1 through class 4 unpaved roads, beautiful mountain vistas, pine forests, desert highlands, and unbelievable mountain passes. I suggest that the dual sport adventure riding here is as good as that in the Copper Canyon region. Not only is it a great riding area, but it isn't particularly far away either. In fact, for many Texas riders it is essentially in their backyards (a 1 day ride). So, in short, don't miss the ~5th annual Mextrek adventure ride. It is absolutely the best group adventure ride all year.

Registration: Registration is $40. All registered riders will receive Richard's MexTrek ride guide - a 68 page, spiral bound guide, three 11x17 topographical maps, GPS route downloads, and a commemorative t-shirt. Registration is done via the google spreadsheet link. Send payment via paypal to unclesaroundthebend@gmail.com please!

Registration ends: Mexico is no picnic. And planning Mexico takes time. While all are welcome and there is no official registration deadline, Official Registration will be cut off *** 2 *** weeks prior to the event, so September 30th is the deadline. This ensures sufficient time to receive and process your registration and then mail your Ride Guide and maps to you. Registrations after Sept. 30th likely won’t receive their Ride Guide and maps prior to Wednesday, in McAllen.

If you miss registration, you can still attend. Just catch up with me in McAllen / Galeana and I'll get you signed up. I'm bring some extra ride guides, maps, and t-shirts but make no guarantee that any or all these items will be available if you wait to register. Your best bet is to get registered by the deadline, but, we're not all morning people.

Itinerary

Dates:

Wednesday, Oct 14th: Most riders will plan to spend Wednesday night in McAllen, at the (HOST Studio 6 in Mission, Texas, the studio 6 closest to the international bridge in Anzalduas). ALL should take the opportunity to do the paperwork for Mexico on the border later at night, when it is not busy.

Thursday, Oct 15th: MexTrek begins Thursday morning, 7AM, at the (Studio 6 in Mission, Texas) in McAllen, TX. We will have a brief riders meeting, break up into small teams of 4-10 riders, cross the border, and spend the day getting to Galeana. The first half of the day consists of riding highway west (approx 95 miles of secondary 2 lane roadway through smallish towns) to the mountains, the second half of the day consists of riding up into the mountains via short fantastic paved and then non-paved roads through the mountains to Galeana. There are a number of great off road rides into Galeana, as well as a short easy dirt road for the weary. In case of inclement weather, the nice paved canyon road through Iturbide guarantees safe arrival in Galeana well before late afternoon.

Friday and Saturday, Oct 16th - 17th: Consists of day rides from Galeana. Riders will organize into teams and go ride the team's chosen route. The ride guide has 20+ routes, all well ridden and researched by Richard's crack team of explorers over the years.

Sunday, Oct 18th: MexTrek officially ends Sunday morning. However, we still will provide oversight to be sure folks make it to the border in one piece. For those still inclined, Sunday can also be an extra riding day for anyone who didn't get enough on Thu - Sat.

Ride Headquarters:
TENTATIVE (Hotel Magdelana) On the main square in Galeana.
Intersection of 5 de Mayo & 15 de Mayo streets
Galeana, Nuevo Leon, Mexico (town of Galeana, state of Nuevo Leon)
Hotel Magdalena: telephone 826-213-0106 (if dialing from the USA dial 011 52 826 213 0106)

The other hotel in Galeana, in case the ride headquarters hotel is full:
Hotel Jardin: telephone 826-213-0420 (if dialing from the USA dial 011 52 826 213 0420)

FAQs

1. Travel Planning - Most Texas riders can leave sometime on Wednesday and get to McAllen by Wednesday evening. Then Thursday becomes a fun day of riding to Galeana and not a day of boring highway travel. On Sunday, riders can simply reverse this - have a great dual sport ride on Sunday and end up at, or across, the border Sun evening, then get home at a decent time on Monday. I've always made it home by 1 - 2 AM in Houston to be up and groggy at the office at 8 AM.

2. What should I ride? There is an abundance of riding opportunities in this part of Mexico. A variety of different routes of varying terrain and difficulty are available to choose from so any adventure or dual sport bike will be fine. If you have a limited fuel range, strap a 1-2 gallon gas can on your bike and you will be okay.

3. Legality: Your motorcycle must be registered in the USA, to you, with a clean clear title in your name. When you import a bike into Mexico for vacation, you must post a $400 surety bond saying you won't sell it when you're down there. So, it must be YOUR bike. When you leave, they check the bike out of country and cancel your permit. You get the bond back. All you end up paying is maybe $~40 for the permitting. If you don't get it checked out of country AT THE BORDER, you CAN NEVER GO BACK, as you have broken Mexican law. They are serious!

4. Is it safe? Most riders have heard the stories about the drug wars going on in Mexico so the question i get asked most often is whether it is safe to travel/ride in Mexico. Yes, I think it is safe to ride in Mexico if you follow some basic safety guidelines such as don't ride at night, don't buy/sell drugs, or don't go out drinking at night in a border town by yourself. If you observe the same safety guidelines you would follow anywhere, you will most likely not have any issues. Note: Is Mexico Safe? ADV Rider has approximately 30,000 posts on the subject, updated daily. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546927

5. What's the best route to get to Galeana? You can cross into Mexico at a number of places, but for most riders I recommend McAllen. It's less touristy and makes for the shortest ride to Galeana. I HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND we ride as a group on Thursday morning and have a great ride to Galeana, and reverse tracks and head out in groups on Sunday. No one needs to be left in Mexico stranded and alone. Anyone not riding with the groups in or out should let sweep riders know not to worry about them. There will always be groups that come and go early and late. This is fine, but not recommended.

6. Paperwork: By the way - get your border crossing paperwork done before Thursday morning. The groups will cross the border and keep on trucking. The groups won't be waiting for anyone who hasn't done their border paperwork.

7. Where to leave your truck/trailer in McAllen: If you trailered/trucked to McAllen and are riding from there to Galeana you can leave your truck/trailer in long term parking at the McAllen airport. The cost is reasonable and your vehicle should be reasonably safe. Most hotels you can talk them into it also. And, one member has already posted in this thread that he has ample truck and trailer parking for free at the border.

8. Passport: Either a passport or passport card is required to come go into, and more importantly, to come smoothly back from Mexico. A passport card is only $55, or $30 if you've previously had a passport. http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card.html

Hope everyone can make it!!!!!!!

In case you can't make it, there is an informal ride of friends coming up sooner... http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...hlight=galeana

Peter
unclesaroundthebend@gmail.com

2008 Planning: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27799&highlight=mextrek+2008
2008 Reports: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33656

2009 Planning: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41336
2009 Reports: http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=671326#post671326

2010 Planning: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46716
2010 Reports: http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=749178#post749178

A small teaser / sampler video my buddy Ryan made in 2010 after MexTrek. Pictures turn to video half way through. This is the kind of Mexico you WILL see in Galeana.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOIVHstZ2t4&index=11&list=PL5564F306488B311D"]MexTrek 2010 f800gs drz400sm.mpg - YouTube[/ame]​

Last edited:
Re: Mextrek 2015

Not sure if I can get that many vacation days in the Fall.
But I would be interested if there'are other small cc bikes going.
Because I don't want to try to keep up with big bore bike blasting down the Mex interstate for 300 miles between Reynosa and Galena. That is not my idea of fun; it's more like torture. And I'm too scared to ride by myself at my own pace in Mex.

In!

I am in! If we can bring in the tour operator, Trice Pilots & Associates, LLC into the mix, that would be an added plus.

:clap:

RB

But I would be interested if there'are other small cc bikes going. Because I don't want to try to keep up with big bore bike blasting down the Mex interstate for 300 miles between Reynosa and Galena. That is not my idea of fun; it's more like torture.

Just so you know: It's a little more than 100 miles of highway between Reynosa and the mountains. Once you hit the mountains, speeds come down considerably. And while there are a fair number of stretches of 70 mph to get to the mountains, the route goes through a number of towns, which brings speeds down considerably. It usually takes any group I'm leading about 3-4 hours to get from Reynosa to the mountains due to towns, traffic, road conditions, and bathroom/snack breaks.

What does early fall mean, early September or October? Just coming back from 3 months of vacation and traveling puts me out of September. Perhaps October? How about August? Too hot? Just wondering!

Most likely ......IN. Just dont make it on Sep 19th weekend.

Is Mexico Safe? ADV Rider has approximately 30,000 posts on the subject, updated daily. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546927

Here is a map of the general area. As you can see, not too close to anything big, populated, or gangster specific.

Galeana.jpg

Last edited:

4/9 OK, so if you are in, please choose a weekend!

Oct 10/11: CMRA race weekend. I want my race friends to come.

Weekend #1: Oct 17/18 OPEN

Weekend #2: Oct 24/25 OPEN

These work best for me and I am definitely IN...

Last edited by a moderator:

Because I don't want to try to keep up with big bore bike blasting down the Mex interstate for 300 miles between Reynosa and Galena. That is not my idea of fun; it's more like torture. And I'm too scared to ride by myself at my own pace in Mex.

You should be alright, looks like we all want the same thing...

Hi guys, this sounds amazing, I have a couple of questions.
-How many days are we talking? I hear a lot of a weekend but it looks to me for previous reports that's there is more time riding in Mexico
-I notice part of the gear in the bikes looks like tents, is there any camping planned or basically just motel/hotels?

:rider:

OK, OK, typing here....Cliff Notes

4 days, Thursday to Sunday. Arrive McAllen Wed night. Ride in a group to Galeana on Thursday. Ride Friday. Ride Saturday. Ride as a group back to McAllen Sunday. FYI, the group ride is as much fun as anything. This is 4 days of riding real, honest, rural, amazing, incredible Mexico.

No camping, unless you really want to camp in rural Mexico. 4 nights hotel (1 in McAllen, 3 in Galeana), 5 days food, beer, water, fuel, and a border crossing will cost about $250 - $300.

Anything 250cc and up is fine. Even a TW200 could make the journey, just have to cruise the 100 miles of highway at 45 MPH. I'll be on my trusty 65 MPH CRF230F. 100 mile fuel range is adequate. Always carry an extra 50 miles of fuel.

Last edited:

200 cc and up will be fine. I recall the pace being 55 MPH average. It's not a race, just a casual ride on 2 lane up to the mountains. It is more like 130 miles. Map it on google:
Reynosa>>>General Bravo >>> China >>>General Teran >>> Montemorelos

From there it is 37.5 miles of climbing concrete to Rayones.

And another 20 miles to Galeana on gentle dirt.

So it is a 180 mile day going direct. Add 25 or so more if you take all concrete through Iturbide for a 200 mile total. If you add in an afternoon dirt loop from Rayones to Galeana, which I highly recommend, add another 40 - 50 miles. It is a long day, but at 40 MPH average it's only ~5 hours in the saddle.

Last edited:
Kayakkawakid & a small group of us are doing a pre-run, Memorial Day weekend. Don't worry, we won't drink ALL the beer!

Hey Kayak, where is home exactly (nearest big intersection is fine)? Capacity?

Sorry I spoke to soon, forgot I will have moved by October but can still accommodate for the may ride no worries sorry again for jumping the gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back