• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW K1600GT

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
I can't believe I'm asking this, but are they reliable?

I stumbled upon the 2017 K1600B this week and loved it but it was a big nope to writing a $20K check on a motorcycle. I just realized today that the K1600 series has been out since '12! Sure the GT isn't the same as the B, but it's still got bags and that sweet I6.

A ~$13K check is much more wife budget friendly.

I haven't had the Road King a year and I love the air cooled character and how it idles. I mostly love the comfort, styling and practicality of the bags. I realized, though, that I dearly miss having motorcycle-like power, good brakes, and ground clearance.

I've had my 2013 for over a year and taken it from 18k miles to 30k miles. Two coils have failed. No other issues. And I love the engine. I'm not a speed guy, but oh my goodness does it pull. Like a fast train. Just keeps pulling.

Honestly I think I like the GT better than the B. But I could see where someone from the HD world would prefer the B.

Upside to the GT is you can take the side cases off easily if you want.

What is a K1600B - the new bagger model?
My 2013 with over 43K miles has been reliable. I bought an extended warranty, just in case, when the original expired.

Did you test it. Probably not, or the thead would be telling us how much you like it!

I picked up a 2016 K1600GT in July, little over 1000 miles so far and I love it.

The C14 is a spectacular machine and I really love mine, but if you're strongly considering it, I would factor in another $800ish on top of the purchase price for a MCCruise installation.

The fact that Kawasaki doesn't offer cruise on the C14 is inexcusable, but with MCCruise the problem can be rectified. I don't have it yet, but hope to in the near future, and by all accounts that I've read it's a premium, factory-like system.

https://www.mccruise.com

The C14 is a spectacular machine and I really love mine, but if you're strongly considering it, I would factor in another $800ish on top of the purchase price for a MCCruise installation.

The fact that Kawasaki doesn't offer cruise on the C14 is inexcusable, but with MCCruise the problem can be rectified. I don't have it yet, but hope to in the near future, and by all accounts that I've read it's a premium, factory-like system.

https://www.mccruise.com

Or... ;)

Hi, my name is Jasen, can I talk to you about FJR's?

:D

:rofl:

Looked at a Connie yesterday and only sat on it, I've forgotten how tall anything other than cruisers are! Other than that I dig it and believe it'll all come down to finding the right deal.

Found a '15 FJR that I may look at this weekend. From my research so far you really can't go wrong with any of the mentioned bikes.

I haven't looked at the GT's and probably won't because I'm a cheapo.

Hi, my name is Jasen, can I talk to you about FJR's?

:D

There's a '15 FJR parked in the garage next to the Road King now. Too busy enjoying it and being able to stow all my riding gear in the bike while I reach my destination to take pictures and create a post...so give me a week or so!

I checked out a '15 Concours last week but the dealer gave such a low number for the trade-in that I decided to come back later to negotiate just buying it without a trade. Then I saw an FJR on Craigslist that was priced much too good to pass up so I picked it up yesterday.

Cruise control on a motorcycle is like a cell-phone. You can definitely live without it, but once you've got it...wow. I probably would've been happy with the Connie as well as they're both similar.

Last edited:
Winner winner! Nice, you got the Asphalt Gray bike, very good looking bikes. C'mon over to fjriders.com and don't tell Redfish Hunter I said I like your color of bike. You are going to love the bike, if you have any questions, let me know.

Where exactly in the Great State of Texas are you located?

Next, when you are ready to make some modifications, I excel at spending other people's money, let me know and I can help you out. :D

Back