• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek 2008 attendance list

Across the crick
Border formalities. I’m filled with a mixture of fatigue and trepidation. No matter that I’ve done this 500 times before, entering foreign territory in the dark always increases my anxiety level a tad. Watch your money, watch your stuff, get all your stamps, be suspicious of good Samaritans. A Mexican traveler is wowed that we are on our bikes and headed for Puerto Vallarta. "You will have a wonderful time." Then Mexico. Reynosa, as always, totally totally confusing.... At 26 kilometers is the final immigration check. We pass a long line of trucks, move up to the front to the lights, more officials in uniforms, keep your eyes straight ahead.... We are officially in the interior.

It reminds me of the time I went skydiving. All that anxiety as the plane climbs to 10,000 feet, and then that door, oh, the horror of the door, and next thing you know you don't have to worry about the door any more, and you are in free fall. In the interior we are in free fall. Enjoy the ride. Let the adventure begin.

--Milton Otto, from a 2007 blog.

...I am typing this from Guadalajara, Jalisco Mx.
I am on the 1200GSA, which with the Ohlins is just a rocket ship in Mexico. We are seeing some incredible stuff, and going places few people see.

Two days before I left for Mexico, I bought a 2009 KLR 650 and THAT is the bike I will cruise around Galeana on. But I need to get with Rich and Rick and farkle the thing before I go...

tricepilot,

I've been watching your SPOT. You made some great time. Very cool! :thumb:

How did the advance paperwork go when you got to the border?

How are you getting the KLR650 down there since your rod the 1200 GSA down there from San Antonio? I take it some is trucking it down there for you, so how does that change the permitting process?

Thanks,

Mike

A page from my book, ey Bob? My only regret is that I don't get to meet you. Just yet. Be careful Bob.

To the rest of you'all, I'll be in Galeana even if it means taking the bus. God willing, I'll be on the beat '93 KLX.

Milton, YOU are the real deal adventurer. I study your playbook and try to follow along.

Bob

tricepilot,

I've been watching your SPOT. You made some great time. Very cool! :thumb:

How did the advance paperwork go when you got to the border?

How are you getting the KLR650 down there since your rod the 1200 GSA down there from San Antonio? I take it some is trucking it down there for you, so how does that change the permitting process?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

The permit for the vehicle in advance from Banjercito was flawless. You still need to get a visa, but that line is miniscule in comparison. I will always do online permits in the future.

As to your other question, I am not returning to Galeanan on this trip, heading farther south.

HINT I would not affix the moto permit to the bike again. Just keep it and its document safe in the pannier. You dont need it on the bike just be able to produce it if asked. If it gets lost or taken then you have a headache.

BTW I have taken over 700 photos but yall have to wait until I come home whenever that is. I dont do ride reports on the road I am to busy taking it all in.

Bob

We gonna miss ya' in Galeana Bob. I am leaving tomorrow morning. My daughters graduation is tonight so I got delayed for a week but it is a good thing.

Probably cross the border Mon. morning. That is if my butt can make it 1400 miles on the KLR in 3 days.

When do you think you might be back in SA?

Kenny

Richard, looking at the mextrek guide "top of the world" cerro Del Potosi.

I went to El Potosi some time in late 80's.

I rode a still old back then, yamaha TT 500, it was a piece a cake, **** with cream too!

There was or still is a Tecnologico de Monterrey Observatory up there if I remember correctly.

We found 1 ton dually going up to the top of the hill at the time. We found out later after meeting them at the top of el cerro, that this truck was taking students from the University up to the observatory, it was part of some sort class they were taking, we got invite to stay in if we wanted to spend the night.

At that time the dirt road up to El Potosi was in pretty good shape, BTW this was on a HOT July and there was ICE on the ground in some spots at the very top where the observatory is or was located.

In any case does any one been there lately and know the condition of the road? I hope they haven't improve the road too much, I have a much heavier bike now, hoping not to get too carry away.

Richard, this package that I got from you "MexTrek ride guide" is pretty much all anyone will need, you cover all the basis here in this booklet, especially the topo maps are great!, job well done!

Lately I been dumb down by this freaking GPS, can't leave home without it, I have not look at a map for years.

Do put me down in your list, I'm hoping to find place to sleep, other wise I' ll be sleeping in the plaza con mis compadres los borrachos y una botella de mezcal para aguantar el frio..

BTW there is this little pueblito call San Carlos were you can buy the best mezcal in Tamaulipas, I always stop there before heading back home, from Mexico.

Mike,

The permit for the vehicle in advance from Banjercito was flawless. You still need to get a visa, but that line is miniscule in comparison. I will always do online permits in the future.

As to your other question, I am not returning to Galeanan on this trip, heading farther south.

HINT I would not affix the moto permit to the bike again. Just keep it and its document safe in the pannier. You dont need it on the bike just be able to produce it if asked. If it gets lost or taken then you have a headache.

BTW I have taken over 700 photos but yall have to wait until I come home whenever that is. I dont do ride reports on the road I am to busy taking it all in.

Bob

Glad to hear that the online Banjercito permit went so smoothly. Since I am in Houston I would get the visa here. With this system wait time now should be zero. Thanks for the great info! :thumb:

...I' ll be sleeping in the plaza con mis compadres los borrachos y una botella de mezcal para aguantar el frio...

:mrgreen: Colegas, noten que hay otros aquí que tambíen han estudiado la vagología! :rider:

Pues, que bueno, así no seré yo el único perezoso del grupo que vaya a poner el mal ejemplo.

Thanks, Bob
Actually, the "real deal" lives in Mazatlan, right?

Senor,

I look forward to your ride report. The last one with your trusty HD deep in the land of Mexico was superb. One of the best travel diaries I have read. Lots of earthy characters...

Jack Kerouac influence?

Best,

RB

I am typing this from Guadalajara, Jalisco Mx.

Yes, definitely do not come to Mexico. It is very dangerous here. You will be shot, raped, kidnapped, robbed and lost.

Or so I thought too before my first trip here. Your feelings are normal, but will evaporate.

Bob a.k.a. Roberto Loco

Roberto loco mexicano:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:nice words you´re writing
Are you still in Mexico, we are waiting for your report with tons of pictures

Saludos!

Back