• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AMA Superbike SPOILER!!!

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Wow :eek:

Now that was a cool race. Bad luck for Aaron Yates though :( Those last laps with Miguel, Kurtis and Ben B, were really fun! Lots of passing in the closing laps. Miguel rocked :dude:

If you taped it, watch soon! With the way SpeedTV has been lately, who knows if there will be a replay? :shrug:

Adios,

I finally watched it last night on the replay. Major props to Speed for showing it again in its entirety.

It is a shame about Yates. I'd loved to see how that might have come out if he were still up there on that last lap. Also, it would have been nice to see something besides rc51s on the podium. I wish gobert's bike wouldn't have crapped out, too, as he was really rocking early on.

Roberts needs to let the thing with gobert supposedly stuffing him in the corner go. Dude, that was like 1/3 of the way through the race and then roberts came back and was leading for a while. After that, the blown corner was moot and it was all his own fault he didn't win. Every post-race recap and interview I've seen has him whining about it, makes him look like a crybaby to me.

I couldn't believe Eboz chose to still race the 750. I would have liked to see him up front, but I know he was playing it smart and getting a nice safe 5th gives him points.

Miguel obviously had it going on. And that's amazing considering he said he was only 80% because he'd had the flu. I think he might have a chance to shine this year now that he's not so much 2nd fiddle behind Hayden. But Ben Bostrom is going to be tough to beat, to come out on a bike that he's never ridden and get 2nd (and it was only 2nd because it was Daytona and he got drafted--any other track and he was on top of the podium).

Should be an exciting year. I hope the Ducs and the Zooks get the bugs worked out and make it even better.

Howdy,

Roberts needs to let the thing with gobert supposedly stuffing him in the corner go. Dude, that was like 1/3 of the way through the race and then roberts came back and was leading for a while. After that, the blown corner was moot and it was all his own fault he didn't win. Every post-race recap and interview I've seen has him whining about it, makes him look like a crybaby to me.

Sadowski made a good point about this though. If Roberts had not been run off the track, he would not have had to burn up his tires to catch up to the lead pack. Thus he would not have been having as much trouble with the rear tire spinnng up coming onto the banking in the closing laps. That is what was killing him the last two or three laps. His rear end was wiggling all over the place! But Sadowski also said that he thought there was enough room for both bikes and that perhaps Roberts just got spooked and went wide. Tough call. Still, he did get third and there are a butt load of people from 4th on back that would love to have changed places with him ;-)

Adios,

Wasn't the "stuffing incident" pre-last tire change because it was Gobert he was accusing and Gobert was out of the race before the halfway point? Roberts then caught back up to first, went in and got fresh tires and finished the race, IIRC. If they were burned up at the end, it was his own fault.

Too bad Speed didn't seem to have a good replay of that Gobert pass so you could get a look at what he was alleging.

Hmmm... good point, I can't remember when it was that he was run of with respect to what set of tires he was on. I thought he was behind as a result of the runoff, started trying to catch up, got new tires, continued pushing to catch up, and then was in the thick of things at the end. I don't recall if he had already caught up before he went in for the last set of tires.

And man, were those pit stops by the Honda guys simply amazing?! I can hardly pass gas that fast :eek:

Adios,

14 years later, it seems only right to post the race here in its entirety. This was a fantastic era for American motorcycle racing; one that likely will never be repeated. Miguel was such a great racer, and practically an old man at the time compared to the rest of the field. He was a true champion.

So ladies & gentlemen, without further adieu, I present to you the 2003 AMA Daytona 200. These were the good old days:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1m0V_1uvqg"]2003 AMA Daytona 200 (FULL RACE) - YouTube[/ame]

What a waste of history. The Daytona 200 was such an iconic race that everyone looked forward to every year. Thanks DMG for ruining such an icon of motorsports. Maybe one day MotoAmerica will revive it or come up with a similar race else where, like a 200 mile race at COTA or Road America.

Yes, I hope that Moto America can build itself into what the AMA was for american roadracing in years past.

I am really enthused with the current state of flattrack as it has more brands and better racing coverage than it has in decades

If only Honda and Kawasaki would step to the plate. Honda for sure, the biggest bike manufacture in the world. Stellar MotoGP effort, but SBK and MotoAmerica efforts fall a bit short.

So, AMA road racing is dead? I've not even paid attention since the mid 2000s when I quit racing. Can't say I'm surprised, danged little spectator interest in the series compared to world wide. Money's what it's all about and MC sales have had better times in the US. Sad...

I opened this thread thinking I'd bone up on what was going on in the racing world and then I see, Yates, DuHamel...WHAT? "THOSE GUYS ARE STILL RACING? WHAT CLASS, WHEELCHAIR?" :rofl: Then, I notice the date of the post. Wow.

Yates, DuHamel...WHAT? "THOSE GUYS ARE STILL RACING? WHAT CLASS, WHEELCHAIR?" :rofl: Then, I notice the date of the post. Wow.

Duhamel comes out of retirement once in a while for special events and races, but is soon to turn 50. My understanding is that he lives in Las Vegas full time and is deservedly enjoying the fruits of his wildly successful racing career.

The rest of the old guard I haven't really kept up with since I stopped writing editorial, with the exception of the Bostrom brothers and a few others. Josh Hayes is still racing in the current American series, but it's a sad shadow of its former self. I'm not one to live in the past, but when it comes to American motorcycle road racing, I sure miss the good old days.

:chug:

I'm not one to live in the past, but when it comes to American motorcycle road racing, I sure miss the good old days.

Amen... A sad state of affairs, one that I suspect will lead to a continued lack of Americans in MotoGP and/or WSB.

Back